Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: time zones
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers time zones Post 8745 by Perderabo on Wednesday 17th of October 2001 10:16:51 AM
Old 10-17-2001
There is no sensible reason to prohibit you from fiddling with the TZ variable. You inherit a copy of your parent's TZ variable, but if you change yours, no one else's will change. You can also spawn a child with a different value than yours if you want like this:
TZ=CST4CDT date
This works with bourne and korn shells, the c-shell doesn't allow it. But even there you can save the old value, change it, run date, and change it back.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ntp across time zones

I've been tasked to implement ntp on my SCO Unix servers. I have over 600 servers spread across the US in different time zones. Each remote server has network connectivity to a main server here, through their local ISP. (That's how we currently deliver mail to them). My question is, how can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Howeird
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Zones

Hi Everyone, How to create a loopback filesystem in a running non golbalzone? and how to share a diskgroup in veritas ? Thanks & Regards Padmaja (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: padmaja
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Enabling time service in local zones

Hi, Is it possible to enable the time service in local zones? E.g. erahmanz1% svcs -a | grep -i time STATE STIME FMRI disabled Sep_10 svc:/network/daytime:dgram disabled Sep_10 svc:/network/daytime:stream disabled Sep_10 svc:/network/time:dgram... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ERahman
2 Replies

4. Solaris

need help::solaris zones in real time..

Hi frnds... I just had interview with a client , question :: how do you implement solaris zones in real time. please can anyone give me stepbystep process of zones.... i know its there in sol10 pdf but i want short explantion which i can use to answer an interviewer... THANKS IN... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yrajendergoud
0 Replies

5. Solaris

showing 2 different time zones in global zone and nonglobal zone

can some one help me out as it is showing 2 different time zones in global zone and nonglobal zone .In global zone it is showing in GMT while in nonglobal zone i it showing as PDT. System in running with solaris 10 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravijanjanam12
3 Replies
fwtmp(1M)																 fwtmp(1M)

NAME
fwtmp, wtmpfix - manipulate connect accounting records SYNOPSIS
[files] DESCRIPTION
fwtmp reads from the standard input and writes to the standard output, converting binary records of the type found in to formatted ASCII records. The ASCII version is useful to enable editing, via ed(1), bad records or for general purpose maintenance of the file. The argument is used to denote that input is in ASCII form, and output is to be written in binary form. The arguments and are independent, respectively specifying ASCII input and binary output. Therefor, is an ASCII to ASCII copy and is a binary to binary copy. should be used for reading If is not used, structure is read. wtmpfix examines the standard input or named files in format, corrects the time/date stamps to make the entries consistent, and writes to the stan- dard output. A can be used in place of files to indicate the standard input. If time/date corrections are not performed, will fault when it encounters certain date-change records. Each time the date is set, a pair of date change records is written to The first record is the old date denoted by the string old time placed in the line field and the flag placed in the type field of the structure. The second record specifies the new date, and is denoted by the string placed in the line field and the flag placed in the type field. uses these records to synchronize all time stamps in the file. nullifies date change records when writing to the standard output by setting the time field of the structure in the old date change record equal to the time field in the new date change record. This prevents and from factoring in a date change record pair more than once. In addition to correcting time/date stamps, wtmpfix checks the validity of the name field to ensure that it consists solely of alphanumeric characters or spaces. If it encounters a name that is considered invalid, it changes the login name to and writes a diagnostic to the standard error. This minimizes the risk that will fail when processing connect accounting records. DIAGNOSTICS
wtmpfix generates the following diagnostics messages: WARNINGS
generates no errors, even on garbage input. FILES
SEE ALSO
ed(1), acct(1M), acctcms(1M), acctcom(1M), acctcon(1M), acctmerg(1M), acctprc(1M), acctsh(1M), runacct(1M), acct(2), acct(4), utmp(4), wtmps(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
fwtmp(1M)