Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: disk usage command on unix?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers disk usage command on unix? Post 87349 by blowtorch on Sunday 23rd of October 2005 12:56:08 AM
Old 10-23-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
What I like to do is cd to the top directory in the filesystem that is too full. And then I do:
du -sk * | sort -n
The last few lines are the most interesting. It is not a tree, but a tree would be too much info.
How about using:
du -sk * | sort -nr | head -10

Then the first few lines will be the most interesting --GRIN--

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix top command (memory usage)

in unix when i use top i get an output like this: load averages: 0.64, 0.57, 0.53 14:04:42 347 processes: 1 running, 1 waiting, 169 sleeping, 172 idle, 4 stopped CPU states: 16.4% user, 2.8% nice, 7.6%... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Usage in Unix

Hi, Please let me know how do we write a piece of code to find the disk usage in UNIX (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
3 Replies

3. AIX

Hard disk usage is 100 Percent Busy for any command

hi, AIX 5.3 For any command(say tar command) I am getting 100% busy for my hdisk. But my CPU and Memory is not busy and have more idle also. Please advice for any performance analysing. Thanks in Advance, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npcrao
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disk Usage in GB and Unix command to find the biggest file/folder

Hi All, Please help me out 1) Command to find the disk usage in GB. I know that du -k will give in kilobites. 2) How to find the Biggest file/folder in a given set of files/folders. Thanks in advance Regards, Manas (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
8 Replies

5. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix - Disk usage command

Hi, I need a command that gives me the user who is using more space in the unix box (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abinaya
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with UNIX READ command usage..

Tested on : bash Will be implementing on : ksh I dont know if this is weird , or my idea of Unix stdin or stdout is completely messed up , but if I use the following command, I am getting a proper output. ls -l | head -1 | while read a ; do echo $a ;done and the output is soemthing like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Generic command for disk space usage

Given this directory /web I need to get the current usage (in %) on Linux and Unix both using the same command on bash shell ? The command i tried was working on Unix (solaris) but does not filter the desired same value when run of Linux. My command df -h /web | awk '{print $5}' | sed -n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX cluster disk usage report generation for yesterday & today and email

HI Team, I am trying to create a shell script to generate a yesterday and today report to compare and email in daily basis. can you please help me on the same. #!/bin/bash #Author: ******************* #Description: This script will return the following set of system information: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mi4304
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Disk usage monitoring and record the disk used in last 24 hour

HI I am Trying to edit the below code to send email every day with difference of disk utilized in for last 24 hours but instead getting same usage everyday. can you please help me to point out where my calculation is going wrong. Thank you. ================= #!/bin/bash TODAY="at $(date... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mi4304
0 Replies
acctsuspend(5)							File Formats Manual						    acctsuspend(5)

NAME
acctsuspend, acctresume - suspend and resume accounting when available disk space reaches threshold VALUES
Failsafe Default. Default acctsuspend: acctresume: Allowed values acctresume: acctsuspend: Recommended values acctsuspend: acctresume: (But more than acctsuspend) DESCRIPTION
The and tunables control when accounting stops and resumes due to disk space constraints. When free disk space on the file system being used by accounting reaches the suspension threshold, which is the percentage relative to the percentage of disk space available only to the superuser, accounting is suspended until such time as the free disk space reaches the resumption threshold, which is the percentage rela- tive to the percentage of disk space available only to the superuser. Note: Since the and values are specified relative to the percentage of disk space available only to the superuser, negative values of these parameters can make sense. For example, if the superuser has reserved 10 percent of the disk space on the file system at file system creation time, and acctsuspend is -5 and acctresume is 0, the suspension threshold will be 5 percent of the total disk space and the resumption threshold will be 10 percent of the total disk space. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone using accounting. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect at the next reboot. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? Increasing either variable should be considered when it is necessary to maintain a higher percentage of free space on the accounting filesystem. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value of This Tunable? The higher either value is, the less accounting data may be captured. The further the values are separated, the greater the amount of potentially lost accounting data. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? If additional disk space is needed for accounting data, and it cannot be obtained by moving files off of the filesystem, then the value of should be lowered. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value of This Tunable? Filesystem performance (writing accounting records) decreases as the filesystem fills up. In turn, this will decrease the overall perfor- mance of accounting processes. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time? When changing either of these tunables, both should be considered. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
and were developed by HP. SEE ALSO
accton(1M). Tunable Kernel Parameters acctsuspend(5)