Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory How to mount/make a FAT system on Linux Post 87316 by krhamidou on Saturday 22nd of October 2005 10:06:50 AM
Old 10-22-2005
to create a fat filesystem , you can use the command mkfs.msdos or mkdosfs .

The syntax of the command is very simple : mkdosfs /dev/hdx

to mount a fat filesystem , you'll have just to use the mount command , for example :

mount /dev/hdx /windows

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to access/mount so to access folder/files on a Remote System using Linux OS

Hi I need to access files from a specific folder of a Linux system from an another Linux System Remotely. I know how to, Export a folder on One SCO System & can access the same by using Import via., NFS in the Sco Unix SVR4 System using the scoadmin utility. Also, I know to use mount -t ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to mount a file system of a remote machine to local file system

Hi friends, In my case, there are serveral PCs running Linux in a LAN. I would like to to mount the directory /A_river of machine-A to the file system of another machine machine-B so that I can access files in that directory. I do not know how to do this. The situation is complicated by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to make and mount a Partition

Hi, I need to mount a new partition in a series of Pc that have a single hard drive of 20 GB; the used and partioned space amounts to 10 GB, between root, boot and swap; the script is to make the mounting process automatic These are the contents of my script: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HernandJ2
1 Replies

4. Linux

Read data of a page frame (linux) make freeze the system

Hello, I'm writing a linux driver that reading the data of a page frame of an process. But when I use it, it make immediately freeze the system. Can you help me? Thank for reading my question! system: Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28.15, Intel Duo static int read_addr(int pid, unsigned long... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hahai
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make a full system backup excluding data and restoring it to a new system

Hi, In order to have a sand box machine that I could use to test some system changes before going to production state, I'd like to duplicate a working system to a virtual one. Ideally, I'd like to manage to do it this way : - Make a full system backup excluding the user file system (this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagaille
7 Replies

6. HP-UX

how to mount a file system from a solaris server into an hp-ux system

Hi all I wonder if its possible to mount on a hp-ux server a file system that was previously mounted on a solaris 10 server. The LUN is on NetApp stoarge. The problem on hp-ux I cannot do pvcreate on the lun (disk) because contains data. Any help will be appreciated FR (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
2 Replies

7. Linux

Make directory used as mount point read-only

For my backup , I mount and external hard disk to /mnt/mybackup and then I do an rsync to /mnt/mybackup If for some reason the rsync fails, I want to prevent it from writing data on the server hard disk itself since the external hard disk will no longer be mounted on it. I want /mnt/mybackup... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
8 Replies

8. AIX

How to make NFS4 mount permanent ?

Hello, I'm able to mount NFSv3 shares permanently (/etc/filesystems) via smitty nfs. />lsfs -a Name Nodename Mount Pt VFS Size Options Auto Accounting /dev/hd4 -- / jfs2 2097152 -- yes no /dev/hd1 -- ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

9. Programming

How to make use others' C library installed not for the system-wide (Ubuntu/Linux)?

I have downloaded and installed a library called htslib for specific bioinformatic use but not for the system (I'm using Ubuntu 18.04). Only parts of the library is needed for my exercise to parse data in a type called VCF format (basically tab-delimited file but contains many information in... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
14 Replies
fd(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     fd(4)

NAME
fd - file descriptor files DESCRIPTION
The /dev/fd file system is a pseudo-file system layered beneath the Virtual File System (VFS). The file descriptor files (fd*) are those files that are accessible through file descriptors. The file descriptors use the naming convention /dev/fd/0, /dev/fd/1, /dev/fd/2 and so on up to any number. To make the /dev/fd file system known to the operating system, you must create the directory with the correct privileges, then you must mount the file system. The following steps describe how to create the directory, mount the file system both manually and automatically, and how to dismount the file system: Create the directory using the mkdir and chmod commands: mkdir /dev/fd; chmod 777 /dev/fd Mount the file system manually using the mount command: mount -t fdfs /dev/fd /dev/fd Mount the file system automatically by editing either the /etc/fstab file or the /sbin/bcheckrc file. Add the following entry to the /etc/fstab file: /dev/fd /dev/fd fdfs rw 0 0 This entry mounts the pseudodevice /dev/fd on the /dev/fd directory with read/write privileges. The file system type is fdfs and the zeros (0) in the remaining fields specify that the file system is not to be backed up nor can file system checks be performed by the fsck command as this is a virtual file system. Add the following entry to the /sbin/bcheckrc file: # # mount fdfs # echo 'Mounting /dev/fd filesystem' /sbin/mount -a -v -t fdfs Again, the /dev/fd file system should not be mounted in this manner if an entire system is to be backed up starting from the root directory. Dismount the file system using the umount command: umount /dev/fd For correct truncate() behavior on fd files, you must load your program using the -lsys5 flag. RESTRICTIONS
The /dev/fd file descriptors should not be exported. EXAMPLES
The following example show how the open and dup functions have the same effect if file descriptor n is opened: fd = open("/dev/fd/n", mode); fd = dup(n); In the above example, the open function is equal to the creat function and mode is ignored. Using the dup function, subsequent reads or writes on the fd file descriptor files fail unless the original file descriptor enables the operation. ERRORS
The following error condition exists: The file descriptor is not valid. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: chmod(1), mkdir(1), mount(8). Functions: creat(2), dup(2), open(2). delim off fd(4)