Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How To Setup Unix In Pc
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How To Setup Unix In Pc Post 87225 by akshamani on Friday 21st of October 2005 08:18:07 AM
Old 10-21-2005
How To Setup Unix In Pc

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and i am trying to learn unix at my home, i do have desk top, and installed windows, also the hard disk space is 80GB, so please guide me , advise me for how to proceed.

Your help is needed.

Thank you in advance.
Aksha.
*** email deleted ***

Last edited by vgersh99; 10-21-2005 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: removed email address

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris UNIX Printer Setup

I have a HP laserjet 5Si MX on a Microsoft network that I need to route my print output to. I have setup a host that amounts to just the ip address of the printer, and created a printer that is connected to that host. My print is sent directly to the printer, but it is not formatted correctly. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic networking setup in unix

I have a SunOS 5.8 box and have always downloaded & applied patches via my PC, but I want to be able to go out to sunsolve directly from the console ... however, I guess it doesn't know the IP of our domain's DNS server or something. Where are these setting held on a Sun box??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

UNIX FTP setup

I just had to rebuild my Sun Ultra 2 running Solaris 2.5.1 as the boot drive failed. Now I can't log on from the Windows XP using WS_FTP Pro, and can't see the PC on the sun using ftp (it just hangs). I think I need to add IP addresses to the host file on the Sun box, but can't find information... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pilgrim4119
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem setup under Digital Unix

Hi All, I am trying to set up a modem (using SLIP) on a Digital (well it used to be) AlphaStation running Digital Unix V7E. I assume that I have to put an entry into /remote but can anyone suggest the contents and formatting. Apologies for being so naive but I'm an ex VMS person. Thanks and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roslynlea
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Mac setup for SAS

I'm new to the forum, so I appreciate any help you can give me. I have been at an academic institution that manages its own UNIX computing grid for running SAS. I use a Mac as my personal computer and connect remotely using an ssh terminal to conduct my analysis and store/manage my files. I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crl21
3 Replies

6. Fedora

How to setup an smtp server on a UNIX machine !!!

How to setup an smtp server on a unix-based machine. For example ubuntu, mac os x, fedora. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 14opsrc
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to setup NTP on unix and linux servers?

I have a hostname/ip of our network time server. What are the steps to take to set each server up to synchronize the clocks? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChadKam
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

MP-RAS Unix Networking Setup

I have an MP-RAS unix server from ncr. We are trying to get the network configured so that we may transer files between the unix box and a pc. I have used the included TCPCONFIG command to setup the network, however I can not ping, telnet or ftp to any other pcs on the network. Any help would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rutgerncas
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX Environment Setup - (Just starting!)

Morning All So, I am starting looking into the world of UNIX for a new job (luckily not my primary function!) and I am looking to get stared. Like anything I seem to learn best by trying things out first in an environment but I have a key question: Currently I use Oracle VirtualBox, can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GophusMeau
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX Environment Setup - (Just starting!)

Morning All So, I am starting looking into the world of UNIX for a new job (luckily not my primary function!) and I am looking to get stared. Like anything I seem to learn best by trying things out first in an environment but I have a key question: Currently I use Oracle VirtualBox, can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harveyclayton
1 Replies
UPDATE-RCCONF-GUIDE(8)						 Debian GNU/Linux					    UPDATE-RCCONF-GUIDE(8)

NAME
update-rcconf-guide - Create default guide file for rcconf SYNOPSIS
update-rcconf-guide DESCRIPTION
Update-rcconf-guide creates the default guide file which rcconf uses. Update-rcconf-guide searches the package names corresponding to each service file in /etc/init.d directory from dpkg info files(/var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list) and get the description of these packages using apt-cache. Update-rcconf-guide uses Short-Description in priority to the description if service files has Short-Description field. Update-rcconf-guide writes those results to /var/lib/rcconf/guide.default file. You can write your own guide in user guide file(/var/lib/rcconf/guide) by hand. Rcconf refers Guides in /var/lib/rcconf/guide before those in /var/lib/rcconf/guide.default. If you install some packages after executed update-rcconf-guide, you need to re-create this file using update-rcconf-guide so as to refresh guide.default that includes new guides for installed new services. Notice: update-rcconf-guide was not executed when you installed rcconf package. FILE
/var/lib/rcconf/guide.default Guide File update-rcconf-guide generates. /var/lib/rcconf/guide Guide File user(Administrator) can define. SEE ALSO
rcconf(8) AUTHOR
Atsushi KAMOSHIDA <kamop@debian.org> perl v5.10.1 2009-01-21 UPDATE-RCCONF-GUIDE(8)