Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Oracle not accepting new connections Post 87130 by mat_cottrell on Thursday 20th of October 2005 08:44:52 AM
Old 10-20-2005
Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
Do a "swapinfo -t" to see how much swap you really have. It looks like you have typos in /etc/fstab. Review which logical volumes you really have and which lv's you actually want to use as swap areas.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

I am unable to to do a swapinfo -t as I'm not in front of the machine.
But a previous swapinfo -a returned
Code:
         Kb         Kb         Kb        PCT   START/ Kb
TYPE AVAIL      USED     FREE     USED  LIMIT  RESERVE PRI    NAME
dev   2146304    0       2146304  0%    0        -           1    /dev/vg00/1vol2
dev   2048000    0       2048004  0%    0        -           1    /dev/vg00/1vol9
reserve        -   4192820  -4192820
memory 4786844 3352124 1434720 70%

This tells me that the box is not using any swap at all and using 70% of its memory, do you know what the reserve figures mean.
Am I correct in my assumptions?
Any other ideas?

Thanks

Mat

Last edited by Perderabo; 10-20-2005 at 10:50 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accepting User Input

I'm just starting out with UNIX and have figured some stuff out. I just need some help with accepting user input on the command line. For instance, I created a number counter that counts down from any positive hard coded number. But, I want the commnad line line to read "Countdown 20" where 20... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scott78
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to display the value I am accepting as an argument

Hi, I am new to UNIX. I am facing some problem here. #! /usr/bin/ksh currDate = $1 export currDate; echo " Date is $currDate" when I run this script, it says : currDate not found. Can anybody point out the mistake please. --mahek (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahek_bedi
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accepting input date

I how do i accept a input date in script which is lesser than a specified day? ex: to accept a date less than or equal to 100 days(from today).?:( Thanks for the help in advance.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if a Port is accepting connections.

Hi, I need to create a script which checks the availability of a particular service on a particular Port on HP-Unix. Is there any command in unix wherein we can check if any port is accepting the connections now. Thanks, Vihang. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikings.svnit
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accepting A-Za-Z

Is there a way accept A-Za-z0-9 from the user from a parameter? EX. I want to take the parameter from the user even if its hEu or H3y and store it as a parameter ( $1 ) (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Accepting Directories as an Argument

I'm doing a script where you are suppose to start off in accepting one or more directory as an argument. How do i do this? Sorry for the nub question. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxUser232331
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accepting Input regardless of Case

Hi I am trying to get my script to accept input regardless if the person enters a or A. here is the portion of the code where I get the input. echo -n 'Please enter your choice:' # prompt user for input. read reply # read input echo case $reply in #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DualPandas
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script accepting password

Hi friends, I am very new to Unix scripting and having some difficulty in my first shell script. I have written a simple shell script to upload an artifact to a remote machine on the network. echo "Uploading the artifact" scp app.war username@remotemochine.domainname.net:/home/deployables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashdeep
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parameter not accepting in awk

In below script parameterwhich i am passing to awk function is not working.Not sure why its not accepting parameter.Please tell me how to pass parameter to the awk function.Please check the below script. #!/bin/ksh dummy_file=/etlapps/dev/data/sub_servicer_data/ScriptLogs/emp.txt fields=5... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
2 Replies
SWAPON(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SWAPON(8)

NAME
swapon, swapoff - enable/disable devices and files for paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
/sbin/swapon [-h -V] /sbin/swapon -a [-v] [-e] /sbin/swapon [-v] [-p priority] specialfile ... /sbin/swapon [-s] /sbin/swapoff [-h -V] /sbin/swapoff -a /sbin/swapoff specialfile ... DESCRIPTION
Swapon is used to specify devices on which paging and swapping are to take place. Calls to swapon normally occur in the system multi-user initialization file /etc/rc making all swap devices available, so that the paging and swapping activity is interleaved across several devices and files. Normally, the first form is used: -h Provide help -V Display version -s Display swap usage summary by device. Equivalent to "cat /proc/swaps". Not available before Linux 2.1.25. -a All devices marked as ``swap'' swap devices in /etc/fstab are made available. Devices that are already running as swap are silently skipped. -e When -a is used with swapon, -e makes swapon silently skip devices that do not exist. -p priority Specify priority for swapon. This option is only available if swapon was compiled under and is used under a 1.3.2 or later kernel. priority is a value between 0 and 32767. See swapon(2) for a full description of swap priorities. Add pri=value to the option field of /etc/fstab for use with swapon -a. Swapoff disables swapping on the specified devices and files. When the -a flag is given, swapping is disabled on all known swap devices and files (as found in /proc/swaps or /etc/fstab). NOTE
You should not use swapon on a file with holes. Swap over NFS may not work. SEE ALSO
swapon(2), swapoff(2), fstab(5), init(8), mkswap(8), rc(8), mount(8) FILES
/dev/hd?? standard paging devices /dev/sd?? standard (SCSI) paging devices /etc/fstab ascii filesystem description table HISTORY
The swapon command appeared in 4.0BSD. Linux 1.x 25 September 1995 SWAPON(8)