Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: seconds to hh:mm:ss
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers seconds to hh:mm:ss Post 87053 by akrathi on Wednesday 19th of October 2005 02:30:48 PM
Old 10-19-2005
That's what I am doing using shell .Certainly not in this concise manner .Thanks for this .

My purpose was just to explore if I am missing something

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to get number of seconds

How do I get the number of seconds since 1970, within a script, for the previous day at 23:59? I need this value to pass into a sql statement to cleanup records older than the previous day at midnight. It will be automated via cron so no hard coding allowed. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: captainzeb
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get lines in 5 seconds

Hello everybody, how i can get how many lines are writed in a file in the last 5 seconds? For ezample i have 'file1' that is filled by a process automatically and i neet to know how many lines with the word 'EXACTO' were filled the last 5 seconds, can somebody help me? I try with: tail -f... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lestat
16 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Time Difference in seconds

It is required to calculate time difference in seconds between epoch time (19700101 00:00:00) and any given date time (e.g. 20010214 14:30:30). Is there any command in unix to get it? Thanks in adv. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: k_bijitesh
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Ticks in seconds.

Hello all, Is there any thumb rule or aproximation of the equivalence in second of one tick? Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mig28mx
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Seconds to hh:mm:ss

Hi All I need to convert a number of fields in a record from seconds to hh:mm:ss ( or possibly hhh:mm:ss ). I'm guessing awk is the way to go . File has multiple records and each record contains 101 fields - can awk handle that ? The seconds values will be in fields 3 - 101 and could be 0. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delay the process for few seconds

Hi, In my shell script, (as per the requirement), I am creating few files, and the processes are launched parallelly . (by using "&" at the end of the command line). As per the logic, I need to remove these files as well, after creating. But, the problem is, due to parallel processing,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitendriya.dash
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting and wc -l w.r.t seconds

I have file with below data 00:00:00 00:00:00 00:00:00 00:00:01 00:00:01 00:00:01 00:00:01 00:00:01 00:02:01 00:02:01 00:02:01 so on till 23:59:59 I want count of seconds for each hour and minutes say for 00:00:00 its 3 and 00:00:01 its 5 and 00:02:01 its 3 and so on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
8 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to check that a particular value is epoch seconds?

how to verify that the following is epoch time. that is if i have given some random value like 34600 , how can i know it is epoch seconds (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramsavi
5 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Countdown timer with seconds

I would like this to work with seconds as well. #!/bin/bash # if ; then echo "Incorrect usage ! Example:" echo './CountDown.sh -d "Jun 10 2011 16:06"' echo 'or' echo './CountDown.sh -m 90' exit 1 fi now=`date +%s` if ; then until=`date -d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
7 Replies
SLEEP(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  SLEEP(3)

NAME
sleep -- suspend thread execution for an interval measured in seconds LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> unsigned int sleep(unsigned int seconds); DESCRIPTION
The sleep() function suspends execution of the calling thread until either seconds seconds have elapsed or a signal is delivered to the thread and its action is to invoke a signal-catching function or to terminate the thread or process. System activity may lengthen the sleep by an indeterminate amount. This function is implemented using nanosleep(2) by pausing for seconds seconds or until a signal occurs. Consequently, in this implementa- tion, sleeping has no effect on the state of process timers, and there is no special handling for SIGALRM. RETURN VALUES
If the sleep() function returns because the requested time has elapsed, the value returned will be zero. If the sleep() function returns due to the delivery of a signal, the value returned will be the unslept amount (the requested time minus the time actually slept) in seconds. SEE ALSO
nanosleep(2), usleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A sleep() function appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BSD
February 13, 1998 BSD