Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Error Message with ls
Operating Systems AIX Error Message with ls Post 87002 by sallender on Wednesday 19th of October 2005 07:36:26 AM
Old 10-19-2005
Error Message with ls

When I try to list a directory that I have been using rsync to copy, I now am getting the following message.

root # ls -alt /directory
ls: /directory: Value too large to be stored in data type.
total 0

I can change directory and list the contents of directories within /directory, but I cannot list the contents of the root level of /directory

root # cd /directory
root # ls -alt
ls: .: Value too large to be stored in data type.
total 0

Anyone have any ideas what is going on here?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error message

Hi All, occasionally my server gives this error messages "NOTICE:HTFS Out of inodes on HTFS dev hd (1/42)" why ?? Alice. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisev
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Message

Hi everyone, Can anyone explain what the following error refers to...and perhaps a solution? vxfs: vx_nospace -/tmp file system full (8 block extent) Thanks, Uni (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uni
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error message

I'm getting an error - symbol referencing errors. No output written to, etc Can anybody tell me why this is? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dan Rooney
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Error message

Hi, My Solaris 5.8 system keeps getting this error at boot - "Can't set vol root to /vol" then /usr/sbin/vold: can't set vol root to /vol: Resource temporarily unavailiable Any idea what is wrong, and how do I fix it? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghuber
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error message

Hi, My Solaris 5.8 system keeps getting this error at boot - "Can't set vol root to /vol" then /usr/sbin/vold: can't set vol root to /vol: Resource temporarily unavailiable Any idea what is wrong, and how do I fix it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghuber
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting last error message

Question for unix programmers - what function I need to used to get the exact error message when the library failed to load? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tttttt
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error message

I am new to scripting. I am using the following script . BART.dat contains the string 'Y' . #!/bin/ksh cd /work/TCI/data_out file=`cat BART.dat` echo "$file" if ; then echo "true" fi When i am executing the above script i am getting the following error ./s.ksh: : not found ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Message

What does this means? - ERROR OPENING FILE - KEY LENGHT MISMATCH (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RDM00
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Message

I keep getting an error message in a script im writing, this line is allways pointed out. if and this is the message i keep getting. line 32: [: 8: unary operator expected Whats wrong with it? Please Help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chapmana
5 Replies
TIFFWriteDirectory(3tiff)				 Introduction to Library Functions				 TIFFWriteDirectory(3tiff)

NAME
TIFFWriteDirectory - write the current directory in an open TIFF file SYNOPSIS
#include <tiffio.h> int TIFFWriteDirectory(TIFF* tif) DESCRIPTION
Write the contents of the current directory to the file and set up to create a new subfile in the same file. Applications only need to call TIFFWriteDirectory when writing multiple subfiles to a single TIFF file. TIFFWriteDirectory is automatically called by TIFFClose and TIFF- Flush to write a modified directory if the file is open for writing. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
Diagnostics All error messages are directed to the TIFFError(3tiff) routine. Error post-encoding befoBeforeecwritingitthe contents of the current directory, any pending data is flushed. This message indicates that an error occurred while doing this. Error flushing data befoBeforeewritingrthe.contents of the current directory, any pending data is flushed. This message indicates that an error occurred while doing this. Cannot write directory, Therefwasanot enough space to allocate a temporary area for the directory that was to be written. Error writing directory Aowrite error occurred when writing the count of fields in the directory. Error writing directory Aowriteserror occurred when writing the directory fields. Error writing directory Aiwrite error occurred when writing the link to the next directory. Error writing data for fAewriteserror occurred when writing indirect data for the specified field. Error writing TIFF headeA.write error occurred when rewriting header at the front of the file. Error fetching directoryAcread.error occurred when fetching the directory count field for a previous directory. This can occur when setting up a link to the directory that is being written. Error fetching directoryAlread error occurred when fetching the directory link field for a previous directory. This can occur when setting up a link to the directory that is being written. RETURN VALUES
1 is returned when the contents are successfully written to the file. Otherwise, 0 is returned if an error was encountered when writing the directory contents. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWTiff | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
libtiff(3), TIFFError(3tiff), TIFFOpen(3tiff), TIFFReadDirectory(3tiff), TIFFSetDirectory(3tiff) NOTES
This man page was originally written by Sam Leffler. Updated by Breda McColgan, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 05 Apr 2004 TIFFWriteDirectory(3tiff)