Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: parse a string variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting parse a string variable Post 86943 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 18th of October 2005 02:15:31 PM
Old 10-18-2005
It just occurred to me that you must be in a perl script.... try something along these lines
Code:
use Shell qw(basename);
$base=basename($file)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse variable

I have a variable (it is a date actually -> 2007-01-03) which would be passed in as parameter, what I want is to parse in and put year, month, and day in separate variables, I have tried the following but doesn't work echo $dt | awk -F- '{print $1 $2 $3}' | read y m d Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to parse this string

I want to get filenames from the following input. How can I parse this in bash. input data ------------------------------------------------------------------- path=/aaa/bbb/filename1;/aaa/filename2;/aaa/bbb/ccc/ddd/filename3 -------------------------------------------------------------------... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcliff
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse String from a Variable

Hello, Is there a quick way to parse the values from a variable? The variable has the following sample input: TA= The values of the TA variable is not fixed/hardcoded Basically I need to get the IV_Test and PF_SAPP_FWK values. I created a script that first use sed to remove ,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: racbern
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to parse value of the variable

I have a variable which has a full path to the file, for example : A=/t1/bin/f410pdb Does anybody know the command to parce this variable and assign the result to 3 other variables so each subdirectory name will be in a new variable like this B=t1 C=bin D=f410pdb Many thanks -A (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse string

Hi, I need to parse a string, check if there are periods and strip the string. For example i have the following domains and subdomains: mydomain.com, dev.mydomain.com I need to strip all periods so i have a string without periods or domain extensions: mydomain, devmydomain. I use this for... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktm
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to parse nested variable

Hi, I want to parse nested variable in my script. for exp- c=1 G1='0318' G2='0023' G3='3092' G4='0014' while ;do g=G$c a=$g echo "Group=$g and value=$a" c=`expr $c + 1` done final output are as - --------------------------- Group=G1 and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apskaushik
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse a mixed alphanumeric string from within a string

Hi, I would like to be able to parse out a substring matching a basic pattern, which is a character followed by 3 or 4 digits (for example S1234 out of a larger string). The main string would just be a filename, like Thisis__the FileName_S1234_ToParse.txt. The filename isn't fixed, but the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keaneMB
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse xml file in variable-string?

In the wake of the post: how-parse-following-xml-file Thank you for the very useful chakrapani response 302355585-post4 ! A close question. How to pass a file to xmllint in variable? For example, let it be: NEARLY_FILE='<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?><html><set label="09/07/29"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: OleM2k
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help about parse the variable

I'm using bash the code is QEMU_CMD="qemu-system-x86_64 -smp 2 -m 512 $QEMU_PARAMETER -hda $GUEST_IMAGE -kernel $GUEST_KERNEL -append \"root=/dev/hda rw console=ttyS0,115200 ip=$IP_PARAMETER \" -nographic" echo "..............................." echo "qemu command is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grepping for one variable while using awk to parse an associated variable

Im trying to search for a single variable in the first field and from that output use awk to extract out the lines that contain a value less than a value stored in another variable. Both the variables are associated with each other. Any guidance is appreciated. File that contains the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
6 Replies
BASENAME(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       BASENAME(3)

NAME
basename -- extract the base portion of a pathname SYNOPSIS
#include <libgen.h> char * basename(const char *path); char * basename_r(const char *path, char *bname); DESCRIPTION
The basename() function returns the last component from the pathname pointed to by path, deleting any trailing '/' characters. If path con- sists entirely of '/' characters, a pointer to the string "/" is returned. If path is a null pointer or the empty string, a pointer to the string "." is returned. The basename_r() variation accepts a buffer of at least MAXPATHLEN bytes in which to store the resulting component. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The basename() function returns a pointer to internal storage space allocated on the first call that will be overwritten by subsequent calls. basename_r() is therefore preferred for threaded applications. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, basename() and basename_r() return pointers to the last component of path. If they fail, a null pointer is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The following error codes may be set in errno: [ENAMETOOLONG] The path component to be returned was larger than MAXPATHLEN. SEE ALSO
basename(1), dirname(1), dirname(3) STANDARDS
The basename() function conforms to X/Open Portability Guide Issue 4, Version 2 (``XPG4.2''). HISTORY
The basename() function first appeared in OpenBSD 2.2 and FreeBSD 4.2. AUTHORS
Todd C. Miller CAVEATS
basename() returns a pointer to internal static storage space that will be overwritten by subsequent calls. Other vendor implementations of basename() may modify the contents of the string passed to basename(); this should be taken into account when writing code which calls this function if portability is desired. BSD
March 31, 2010 BSD