Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading Input from File and Duplicates Output Post 86794 by jim mcnamara on Monday 17th of October 2005 12:11:17 PM
Old 10-17-2005
Code:
while read record
do
      echo "$record"
      echo "$record"
      echo "$record"
done < oldfile > newfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for reading an input file

#!/bin/sh rpt="/export/home/legato/rpt_offsite"/test_eject.tape cat <$rpt while read line do echo $line perform routine done I am trying to read the contents of this file line by line and perform a routine for each line read. The file contents are numbers.. What is wrong with my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gzs553
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help reading an input file in KSH

First I' d like to say you guys are awesome. :) I have a word document that I cut and paste into Textpad and it removed all the fancy formatting which is fine with me. I WinScp'd it to the box and and called it inputfile.txt. Opened it in vi and don't see any special characters or stuff that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zilla30066
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading input from a file

I am trying to read input for a C program (that expects input from the user) from a file using the shell command: progname < filename but it seems that the program considers the char '<' as the first input, hence causing an "error" in my program. I checked it with another program and it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadbar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from 1 input files and appending it to another input file

Hi guys, I am new to AWK and unix scripting. Please see below my problem and let me know if anyone you can help. I have 2 input files (example given below) Input file 2 is a standard file (it will not change) and we have to get the name (second column after comma) from it and append it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sksahu
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic output file generation using a input text file with predefined output format

Hi, I have two files , one file with data file with attributes that need to be sent to another file to generate a predefined format. Example: File.txt AP|{SSHA}VEEg42CNCghUnGhCVg== APVG3|{SSHA}XK|"password" AP3|{SSHA}XK|"This is test" .... etc --------- test.sh has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a File and Using as an Input variable

I need to know how the the string constant from Input File should be read and provide as input data for the script . INPUT FILE CONST VARIABLE myname=/root/dir/syslog/myname1 myname=/root/dir/syslog/myname2 myname=/root/dir/syslog/myname3 urname=/root/dir/syslog/urname1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baraghun
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk- reading input file twice

Hello, I've been trying to come up with a solution for the following problem; I have an input file with two columns and I want to print as an output the first column without any changes but for the second column, I want to divide it by its last value. Example input: 1 9 2 10 3 11 4 12 5... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: acsg
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in reading the date from the input file name

Hi, I need to read the date from the input file. The format of the input file is as follows: a_b_c_yyyymmdd.txt I need to read the date(yyyymmdd) part from the name of the input file. Would really appreciate if someone can help me in this regard Thanks a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunny_teotia
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading input from web into UNIX file

Hi, Could someone let me know how to read input from a web page into a unix file. I am writing my script in bash shell in Solaris version. Thanks in advance, ayarlaga. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayarlaga
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User input while reading from a file

I am not able to capture the user input in this script(bash).There is prompt for user input.Could some one help me capture user input while reading afile? while read line do echo "$i" path1=$line path2=`echo $line|sed s/new_dir/old_dir/` echo "Do you want to replace?";... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: parijat guh
4 Replies
SULOGIN(8)						       System Administration							SULOGIN(8)

NAME
sulogin - Single-user login SYNOPSIS
sulogin [options] [tty] DESCRIPTION
sulogin is invoked by init when the system goes into single user mode. The user is prompted: Give root password for system maintenance (or type Control-D for normal startup): sulogin will be connected to the current terminal, or to the optional tty device that can be specified on the command line (typically /dev/console). After the user exits the single-user shell or presses control-D at the prompt, the system will continue to boot. OPTIONS
-e, --force If the default method of obtaining the root password via getpwnam(3) from the system fails, manually examine /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to get the password. If they are damaged or nonexistent, sulogin will start a root shell without asking for a password. Only use the -e option if you are sure the console is physically protected against unauthorized access. -p, --login-shell Specifying this option causes sulogin to start the shell process as a login shell. -t, --timeout seconds Specify the maximum amount of time to wait for user input. By default, sulogin will wait forever. -h, --help Print a help message. -V, --version Output version. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
sulogin looks for the environment variable SUSHELL or sushell to determine what shell to start. If the environment variable is not set, it will try to execute root's shell from /etc/passwd. If that fails it will fall back to /bin/sh. AUTHOR
sulogin was written by Miquel van Smoorenburg for sysvinit and later ported to util-linux by Dave Reisner and Karel Zak. AVAILABILITY
The sulogin command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux Jul 2012 SULOGIN(8)