Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to copy unix file to floppy Post 867 by PxT on Wednesday 24th of January 2001 12:28:47 AM
Old 01-24-2001
I think SCO has the mcopy command:

mcopy file1.txt a:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a UNIX floppy on a PC ? HELP!

I desperately need to get a text file off of this floppy to resolve a customer issue on one of PC servers in thier all UNIX site. They sent the information on a UNIX formatted floppy with the information I need. Please help me as I need this ASAP. Black Knight (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Black Knight
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copy on dos floppy?

can we copy files to a dos floppy on a unix system? how? thanx in advance raju (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount a floppy in UNIX BSDi 3

Anybody know how to mount a floppy in BSDi3 UNIX? Have tried all the standard commands with no luck. This includes: mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy mount /mnt/floppy (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpalmer320
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to format a floppy in unix filesystem from windows

Hi, we have a strange problem. We have to format any floppy disk HD in unix filesystem mode (SCO) but we haven't unix workstations. Are there any software to make this formatting from windows xp pc ? Regards Gianpaolo (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elektra
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix to a floppy

If I need to copy files in Unix to a floppydisk so that the disk is compatible with extended FAT16 and can be read by Windows XP-Do I mount the floppy disk to use ufs? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhonda
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to copy file in cd or floppy disk

i am novice in unix. in me office my boss hav given me a system with Unix OS. i know about windows and Dos. in dos we access cd or floppy through writing following commands a: or d: copy filename.ext to a: i dont even now how to access CD Rom or floppy drive in unix. please tell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fassi
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing UNIX with no cd or floppy

I have an complicated problem to solve. I want to install a basic UNIX installation on a Compaq LTE 5280 (Win 95). The floppy drive does not work, and there is no cd-rom. It has a 14.4 modem, and I have dial-up internet. I also have another computer (Win 98) with a floppy drive, cd drive, and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aeromark98
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy a windows CVS file to the unix server as a svs file

I so desperately need a script to copy a windows csv file to my unix server and i know these should be at dummies but i have no bits. it is life & no job situation help please. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhegal
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX System V Mount Floppy Drive

I have recently installed UNIX SysV on an old computer to try and expand my general knowledge of computers. I want to install NASM on it so I can begin working on some assembly language, but I am having trouble accessing the floppy disk with the files I need. I've tried running mount /dev/fd0... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrentBANKS
23 Replies

10. SCO

How to open a floppy in SCO UNIX?

Hi, Please help me to find the command to open a floppy disc 3.5" in Sco Unix Open Server 5.0.6 environment. Device located in dev/fd0. thanks in advance Rukshan (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rukshan4u2c
5 Replies
mcopy(1)						      General Commands Manual							  mcopy(1)

Name
       mcopy - copy MSDOS files to/from Unix

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mcopy command is used to copy MS-DOS files to and from Unix. It uses the following syntax:

mcopy [-bspanvmQT] [-D clash_option] sourcefile targetfile
	  mcopy [-bspanvmQT] [-D clash_option] sourcefile [ sourcefiles... ] targetdirectory
	  mcopy [-tnvm] MSDOSsourcefile

Mcopy copies the specified file to the named file, or copies multiple files to the named directory.  The source and target  can	be  either
       MS-DOS or Unix files.

The  use  of  a	drive letter designation on the MS-DOS files, 'a:' for example, determines the direction of the transfer.  A missing drive
       designation implies a Unix file whose path starts in the current directory.  If a source drive letter is specified with	no  attached  file
       name (e.g. mcopy a: .), all files are copied from that drive.

If  only  a  single, MS-DOS source parameter is provided (e.g. "mcopy a:foo.exe"), an implied destination of the current directory (`.') is
       assumed.

A filename of `-' means standard input or standard output, depending on its position on the command line.

Mcopy accepts the following command line options:

t      Text file transfer.  Mcopy translates incoming carriage return/line feeds to line feeds when copying from Dos  to  Unix,	and  vice-
	      versa when copying from Unix to Dos.

b      Batch mode. Optimized for huge recursive copies, but less secure if a crash happens during the copy.

s      Recursive copy.  Also copies directories and their contents

p      Preserves the attributes of the copied files

Q      When mcopying multiple files, quits as soon as one copy fails (for example due to lacking storage space on the target disk)

a      Text (Ascii) file transfer.  Mcopy translates incoming carriage return/line feeds to line feeds.

T      Text  (Ascii)  file  transfer  with  charset  conversion.   Differs from -a in the Mcopy also translates incoming PC-8 characters to
	      ISO-8859-1 equivalents as far as possible.  When reading DOS files, untranslatable characters are replaced by '#'; when writing  DOS
	      files, untranslatable characters are replaced by '.'.

n      No  confirmation	when  overwriting  Unix  files.   Mcopy doesn't warn the user when overwriting an existing Unix file.  In order to
	      switch off confirmation for DOS files, use -o.

m      Preserve the file modification time. If the target file already exists, and the -n option is not in effect, mcopy  asks  whether	to
	      overwrite the file or to rename the new file (`name clashes') for details).

v      Verbose. Displays the name of each file as it is copied.

Bugs
       Unlike MS-DOS, the '+' operator (append) from MS-DOS is not supported. However, you may use mtype to produce the same effect:

mtype a:file1 a:file2 a:file3 >unixfile
	  mtype a:file1 a:file2 a:file3 | mcopy - a:msdosfile

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This  manpage  has  been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only approximative, and some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation  in  the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.	Thus I strongly advise you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at: `http://mtools.linux.lu' and also at: `http://www.tux.org/pub/knaff/mtools'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The texinfo doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due  to  the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-3.9.8							      02Jun01								  mcopy(1)