Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Posix string to match [[0-999]] Post 86513 by tmarikle on Friday 14th of October 2005 06:07:37 PM
Old 10-14-2005
Excuse my sarcasm, I'm wrestling with a ksh script and the mmmmmmmms struck my me funny.
Have you tried something like "\[[0-9][0-9][0-9]\]"

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Better way to match string within a string

Hi, I'm trying to get one field out of many as follows: A string of multiple fields separated with "/" characters: "/ab=12/cd=34/12=ab/34=cd/ef=pick-this.one/gh=blah/ij=something/" I want to pick up the field "ef=pick-this.one" which has no regular pattern except it starts with "ef=xxxx"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exact string match ; search and print match

I am trying to match a pattern exactly in a shell script. I have tried two methods awk '/\<mpath${CURR_MP}\>/{print $1 $2}' multipath perl -ne '/\bmpath${CURR_MP}\b/ and print' /var/tmp/multipath Both these methods require that I use the escape character. I am guessing that is why... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate numbers 000 to 999

I have tried to make this script to generate: 000 001 002 ... 997 998 999 i=0 while do if then echo "00"$i else if && then echo "0"$i (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match all except string(s) in posix extended

How to say "match anything but this or that string" using only posix extended syntax? I am not talking about egrep -v, I want this done entirely by the regular expression. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensw
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : match the string and string with the quotes :

Hi all, Here is the data file: - want to match only lan3 in the output . - not lan3:1 file : OPERATING_SYSTEM=HP-UX LOOPBACK_ADDRESS=127.0.0.1 INTERFACE_NAME="lan3" IP_ADDRESS="10.53.52.241" SUBNET_MASK="255.255.255.192" BROADCAST_ADDRESS="" INTERFACE_STATE=""... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print ALL lines except if field is 999

Hi All!!! :-) I need a command that will print each line of a text file UNLESS the 3rd field of that line is equal to the number 999. (space seperated fields) Solaris10/BASH SHELL: INPUT.TXT aaa bbb 111 222 ccc ddd 333 444 eee fff 999 555 ggg hhh 666 777 aaa bbb 999 222 ccc ddd 333... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match exactly a string

I am formatting my code and for that I am trying to write a script which can quicken some repetitive work. I need to match "==" exactly in a string and replace it by inserting a (single) blank space before and after it. Sample Strings: 1.this.something =='something'.that... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prohank
9 Replies
regex(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  regex(3)

Name
       re_comp, re_exec - regular expression handler

Syntax
       char *re_comp(s)
       char *s;

re_exec(s)
       char *s;

Description
       The  subroutine	compiles  a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching.  The subroutine checks the argument string against
       the last string passed to

The subroutine returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an  error  message  is  returned.  If	is
       passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression.

The  subroutine returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled
       regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error).

The strings passed to both and may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by	nulls.	 The  regular  expressions
       recognized are described in the manual entry for given the above difference.

Diagnostics
       The subroutine returns -1 for an internal error.

The subroutine returns one of the following strings if an error occurs:

No previous regular expression
       Regular expression too long
       unmatched (
       missing ]
       too many () pairs
       unmatched )

See Also
       ed(1), ex(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1)

regex(3)