Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to set Subject in 'mail' ? Post 86485 by hkapil on Friday 14th of October 2005 01:16:24 PM
Old 10-14-2005
How to set Subject in 'mail' ?

Hi,
I am trying to send some file to some mail ids using mail command in UNIX.
Now the issue is I am not able to find how to add "Subject text" to the command.

So I am using command like

"mail abc@yahoo.com < file_name"

Now if I use simple mail command I can set subject text by using "Subject:" option of command. But while sending an attached file how can I set the subject?

I tried "-s" option but it is nto working?

I am using Sun SOlaris and k shell.

Thanks in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send a mail with a subject and an attachement

Dear All: I want to send a message to a list of people with a subject and an attachement, currently I am using the following command into a shell script: uuencode $FILENAME.gz $FILENAME.gz | mail john.kennedy@mycompany.com m.m@mycompany.com With this command I can send the message for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: josecollantes
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail subject output of script

I am new to this site so please bear with my ignorances. I have started playing with mail on AIX 4.3.3 with many successes (thanks to this site) but am now stuck. I want to send a mail with the subject as the result of a script, eg. I want the mail body to read as the output from 'df -k... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiano
4 Replies

3. Linux

How to set up mail server in Linux machine

Hi, I have a desktop on which linux is installed. It is connected to office LAN. I am able to send mails(using the 'mail' command) to anybody who is connected to the linux machine. But I am not able to send mails to internet IDs. Please inform, what do I have to do to enable mailing to internet... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishek_ss
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

date need to be add in the subject of the mail.

Hi Am fetching a weekly report pf data..once i fetched the data i need a sent report by mail. In the subject of that mail i want to sent a message like.. SUBJECT :The report had been fetched from (01/12/08 to 07/12/08). I need to send a report like this every week with that particular... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail -s not showing subject on emails

Hi, I have a cron job that creates backups nightly and sends me an email with output from the script. I'm recieving the email and the output; however, the subject field is always empty. Here is what I have in my crontab 00 23 * * * sh /test_backup/test_script | mail -s "Backups"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail: subject and body text

HI, After giving the mail -e name@domain.com its asking the subject : after this its enter in to the body of the mail i.e. (in edit mode) How to end this edit process to send mail ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set Subject in Sendmail in Crontab

Hello All, I am trying to send a file through email everyday from one of my Linux (x86_64) system. I've scheduled Sendmail in Crontab like this- 00 8 * * * /usr/sbin/sendmail name@xxx.co.uk < /home/file1.out This entry in crontab is working very fine and I am receiving file file1.out... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
10 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to set up a mail server

Hi, I need to set up a mail server and I do not have much knowledge in Linux RedHat. Does anyone know how to do this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shakshakshuk
0 Replies

9. AIX

Mail subject splitted

Hi I have a script that is sending mail and it was working fine. But the last time it run, it gave some errors. It look like the subject was split into many receiver. I am on AIX 6.1. #!/bin/ksh # HOSTNAME=`which hostname` MACHINE=`${HOSTNAME}` # E-mail to inform hci of a stop echo "###... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacquesT
9 Replies
CALIBRE-SMTP(1) 						      calibre							   CALIBRE-SMTP(1)

NAME
calibre-smtp - part of calibre SYNOPSIS
calibre-smtp [options] [from to text] DESCRIPTION
Send mail using the SMTP protocol. calibre-smtp has two modes of operation. In the compose mode you specify from to and text and these are used to build and send an email message. In the filter mode, calibre-smtp reads a complete email message from STDIN and sends it. text is the body of the email message. If text is not specified, a complete email message is read from STDIN. from is the email address of the sender and to is the email address of the recipient. When a complete email is read from STDIN, from and to are only used in the SMTP negotiation, the message headers are not modified. Whenever you pass arguments to calibre-smtp that have spaces in them, enclose the arguments in quotation marks. OPTIONS
--version show program's version number and exit -h, --help show this help message and exit -l, --localhost Host name of localhost. Used when connecting to SMTP server. -o, --outbox Path to maildir folder to store failed email messages in. -f, --fork Fork and deliver message in background. If you use this option, you should also use --outbox to handle delivery failures. -t, --timeout Timeout for connection -v, --verbose Be more verbose COMPOSE MAIL Options to compose an email. Ignored if text is not specified -a, --attachment File to attach to the email -s, --subject Subject of the email SMTP RELAY Options to use an SMTP relay server to send mail. calibre will try to send the email directly unless --relay is specified. -r, --relay An SMTP relay server to use to send mail. --port Port to connect to on relay server. Default is to use 465 if encryption method is SSL and 25 otherwise. -u, --username Username for relay -p, --password Password for relay -e, --encryption-method Encryption method to use when connecting to relay. Choices are TLS and SSL. Default is TLS. SEE ALSO
The User Manual is available at http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual Created by Kovid Goyal <kovid@kovidgoyal.net> calibre-smtp (calibre 0.6.53) July 2010 CALIBRE-SMTP(1)