Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Man command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Man command Post 8640 by loadc on Monday 15th of October 2001 05:22:40 PM
Old 10-15-2001
WEEEL

The easy way is to set pager to nothing, at least that has worked for me in the past...

export PAGER=

and it may spit back that that is invalid, if so, I'll look at my box tonight and see what else I have for options for you...

loadc

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

man pages of any command from a c program in unix

i wanted to display the man pages of any command in unix from a c program.can some one help me plzzzzzz. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spanduu
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Creating a Man page for a command

Hi, I would like to develop a man page as the one we usually get when we execute man <command name>. This man page will be for a samll utility that i have written. If this is not possible then what are the available possibilites for creating such help. thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
2 Replies

3. Linux

man command

Hey people do u know how to disable the man command in linux??? i am not able to do anythg apart from disabling the permission for /usr/bin/... i dont wanna uninstall the man / man pages also... this has been one of the toughest challenges i have come across in linux... can anybody... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux.user
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Man command

How to get only the options and arguments of a command excluding the descriptive help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mayur_verma
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

man command output to a txt file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am trying to outut the man command output into a text file which will help me for future reference. 2.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariniiyer300
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix man command to find out month of the year?

how can i display month of the year i was born with using man command? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janetroop95
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MAN command for various shells

Whenever I run manual page on a command I get information about arguments, syntax and so on. However, I wounder if that information is valid only for a certain shell and if yes, then for which one? In other words, would I have different man outputs for csh, ksh, bash and others? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdogadin
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Description of the option print0 in the command find (man page)

This is the description of the option -print0 fon the command find in the man page: What does the "True" in the first line of the description mean? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puertas12
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using man command

hi linux expert how to use man command for get help about "extended regular expression"? many thanks samad (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
2 Replies
apropos(1)							   User Commands							apropos(1)

NAME
apropos - locate commands by keyword lookup SYNOPSIS
apropos keyword... DESCRIPTION
The apropos utility displays the man page name, section number, and a short description for each man page whose NAME line contains keyword. This information is contained in the /usr/share/man/windex database created by catman(1M). If catman(1M) was not run, or was run with the -n option, apropos fails. Each word is considered separately and the case of letters is ignored. Words which are part of other words are considered; for example, when looking for `compile', apropos finds all instances of `compiler' also. apropos is actually just the -k option to the man(1) command. EXAMPLES
Example 1: To find a man page whose NAME line contains a keyword Try example% apropos password and example% apropos editor If the line starts `filename(section) ...' you can run man -s section filename to display the man page for filename. Example 2: To find the man page for the subroutine printf() Try example% apropos format and then example% man -s 3s printf to get the manual page on the subroutine printf(). FILES
/usr/share/man/windex table of contents and keyword database ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
man(1), whatis(1), catman(1M), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
/usr/share/man/windex: No such file or directory This database does not exist. catman(1M) must be run to create it. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1996 apropos(1)