Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable has spaces around the string, need to remove them Post 86395 by Perderabo on Thursday 13th of October 2005 08:09:16 PM
Old 10-13-2005
mikey20, look at what you posted. Those aren't scripts.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove spaces in a string using sed.

Hello, I have the following to remove spaces from beginning and end of a string. infile=`echo "$infilename" | sed 's/^ *//;s/ *$//` How do I modify the above code to remove spaces from beginning, end and in the middle of the string also. ex: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank spaces in a string

can any help how to remove blank spaces in a string? STR="GOOD BYE" by removing blank spaces, the string should be GOOD,BYE thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spandu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh, ksh: command to remove front spaces from a string?

dear pro-coders, is there any command out there that takes out the front spaces from a string? sample strings: 4 members 5 members 3 members but it has to be like so: 4 members 5 members 3 members (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudocoder
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - remove spaces before 1rst occurence of string

seems easy but havent found in other posts... i want to delete any spaces if found before first occurence of ${AI_RUN} sed 's/ *\\$\\{AI_RUN\\}/\\$\\{AI_RUN\\}/' $HOME/temp1.dat i think i'm close but can't put my finger on it. :rolleyes: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove extra spaces from a string??

Hi, I have a string like this and i want to remove extra spaces that exists between the words. Here is the sentence. $string="The small DNA genome of hepadnaviruses is replicated by reverse transcription via an RNA intermediate. This RNA "pregenome" contains ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces in the beginning of a string

Hi, I am trying to remove spaces from the beginning of a string (which i am using in my shell script). For ex - my string looks like this - " no rows selected" and i want the string to look like this - "no rows selected" How can i achieve this? Thanks! (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrutihardas
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove trailing spaces from a variable?

I am getting a value from a csv file using CUT command, however the command extracting the records with trailing spaces. I am using the result into a sql session to fetch data, because of the trailing spaces the sql session is unable to fetch any data. Please let me know, how to remove this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Remove spaces in a variable

I have a variable I want to remove the spaces in between. The output should be How can this be done Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces / tabs from variable in script

I want to remove extra spaces from variable in aix script. We retrieve the data from oracle database and then print the values. We have a value on 90th position. When we execute the query on sqlplus it shows the length of 90th position as 3, but when we use the same query in aix script it shows... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
5 Replies
menu_hook(3CURSES)					     Curses Library Functions						menu_hook(3CURSES)

NAME
menu_hook, set_item_init, item_init, set_item_term, item_term, set_menu_init, menu_init, set_menu_term, menu_term - assign application-spe- cific routines for automatic invocation by menus SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lmenu -lcurses [ library... ] #include <menu.h> int set_item_init(MENU *menu, void (*func)(MENU *)); int set_item_term(MENU *menu, void (*func)(MENU *)); void item_term(MENU *menu); int set_menu_init(MENU *menu, void (*func)(MENU *)); void menu_init(MENU *menu); int set_menu_term(MENU *menu, void (*func)(MENU *)); void menu_term(MENU *menu); DESCRIPTION
set_item_init() assigns the application-defined function to be called when the menu is posted and just after the current item changes. item_init() returns a pointer to the item initialization routine, if any, called when the menu is posted and just after the current item changes. set_item_term() assigns an application-defined function to be called when the menu is unposted and just before the current item changes. item_term() returns a pointer to the termination function, if any, called when the menu is unposted and just before the current item changes. set_menu_init() assigns an application-defined function to be called when the menu is posted and just after the top row changes on a posted menu. menu_init() returns a pointer to the menu initialization routine, if any, called when the menu is posted and just after the top row changes on a posted menu. set_menu_term() assigns an application-defined function to be called when the menu is unposted and just before the top row changes on a posted menu. menu_term() returns a pointer to the menu termination routine, if any, called when the menu is unposted and just before the top row changes on a posted menu. RETURN VALUES
Routines that return pointers always return NULL on error. Routines that return an integer return one of the following: E_OK The routine returned successfully. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
curses(3CURSES), menus(3CURSES), attributes(5) NOTES
The header <menu.h> automatically includes the headers <eti.h> and <curses.h>. SunOS 5.10 31 Dec 1996 menu_hook(3CURSES)