Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable has spaces around the string, need to remove them Post 86333 by zazzybob on Thursday 13th of October 2005 08:07:00 AM
Old 10-13-2005
First - the UUoC patrol....

cat filelist.txt | grep -i "Oct 12" | grep -i rpt132 > mike1.txt

better written as

grep -i "Oct 12" filelist.txt | grep -i rpt132 > mike1.txt

and

batchid1=`cat mike1.txt | cut -nb 27-36`

better written as

batchid1=`cut -nb 27-36 mike1.txt`

Could the second problem be due to the fact that mike1.txt contains white space?

try:

batchid1=`cut -nb 27-36 mike1.txt | sed 's/ //'`

Else; post mike1.txt so we can see the input.

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove spaces in a string using sed.

Hello, I have the following to remove spaces from beginning and end of a string. infile=`echo "$infilename" | sed 's/^ *//;s/ *$//` How do I modify the above code to remove spaces from beginning, end and in the middle of the string also. ex: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank spaces in a string

can any help how to remove blank spaces in a string? STR="GOOD BYE" by removing blank spaces, the string should be GOOD,BYE thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spandu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh, ksh: command to remove front spaces from a string?

dear pro-coders, is there any command out there that takes out the front spaces from a string? sample strings: 4 members 5 members 3 members but it has to be like so: 4 members 5 members 3 members (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudocoder
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - remove spaces before 1rst occurence of string

seems easy but havent found in other posts... i want to delete any spaces if found before first occurence of ${AI_RUN} sed 's/ *\\$\\{AI_RUN\\}/\\$\\{AI_RUN\\}/' $HOME/temp1.dat i think i'm close but can't put my finger on it. :rolleyes: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove extra spaces from a string??

Hi, I have a string like this and i want to remove extra spaces that exists between the words. Here is the sentence. $string="The small DNA genome of hepadnaviruses is replicated by reverse transcription via an RNA intermediate. This RNA "pregenome" contains ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces in the beginning of a string

Hi, I am trying to remove spaces from the beginning of a string (which i am using in my shell script). For ex - my string looks like this - " no rows selected" and i want the string to look like this - "no rows selected" How can i achieve this? Thanks! (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrutihardas
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove trailing spaces from a variable?

I am getting a value from a csv file using CUT command, however the command extracting the records with trailing spaces. I am using the result into a sql session to fetch data, because of the trailing spaces the sql session is unable to fetch any data. Please let me know, how to remove this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Remove spaces in a variable

I have a variable I want to remove the spaces in between. The output should be How can this be done Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces / tabs from variable in script

I want to remove extra spaces from variable in aix script. We retrieve the data from oracle database and then print the values. We have a value on 90th position. When we execute the query on sqlplus it shows the length of 90th position as 3, but when we use the same query in aix script it shows... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
5 Replies
PESCETTI(1)						      General Commands Manual						       PESCETTI(1)

NAME
pescetti -- Pseudo-Duplimate Generator SYNOPSIS
pescetti DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the pescetti command. OPTIONS
Here are a list of the available options and what they do. You must specify exactly one from --demo, --generate or --load. --help Prints the help text --demo Demonstration mode. Generates one hand with permutations and the tutorial for how to use them. --generate=N Generate N random boards --load=boards.txt Load boards+analysis from boards.txt --load-dds=boards.dds Load boards from boards.dds in dds format --load-analysis=tricks.txt Load analysis from tricks.txt --permutations=permutations.txt Generate the permutations and save them to the given file --curtains=curtains.txt Save curtain cards to file curtains.txt --save=boards.txt Save the boards+analysis to boards.txt --save-dds=boards.dds Save the boards to boards.dds in dds format --save-analysis=tricks.txt Save the analysis to tricks.txt --format=html|txt|pdf Set the output mode to the given format --title=title Set the title for the output --output=hands.txt Print the hands to hands.txt, rather than to standard output --stats Generate statistics about the set of boards; included in the hands output --analyze Run the dds analyzer on the boards and print the resulting numberof tricks (warning SLOW) --criteria= A list of criteria to apply to each generated hand to generate specific hand types. The list should be space separated and each item may be suffixed with a colon and a (fractional) probability value which can be used to weight the criteria. E.g. --criteria="weaknt:0.8 strongnt:0.5" Valid criteria are: unbalanced weaknt strongnt twont strongtwo weaktwo three twoclubs 4441 singlesuit twosuits partscore game slam game-invite slam-invite jumpshift jumpfit splinter bacon weird --probability=factor Generate hands matching the criteria with only the given probability. Factor is in the range 0 to 1. On each attempt to generate a board it is rejected if it doesn't match the criteria with the given probability. A factor of about 0.8 gives roughly half matching boards AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Matthew Johnson <debian@matthew.ath.cx>. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this docu- ment under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. PESCETTI(1)