Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Interrupt signal Control C takes too long to terminate a process Post 86237 by paqui on Wednesday 12th of October 2005 10:55:16 AM
Old 10-12-2005
[This program does a lot of inserts into various tables.]

I have no source code of the program and couldn't contact the
author. The only way that I can run this program is through the Unix terminal.
It used to run very fine on the older server. On the older server, the program used to terminate immediately on submitting Control C.

However, on buying another faster server, the program isn't terminating immediately when submitting Control C.

Is it a problem with the configuration of the new server?!

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

terminate process

I want to have a script to terminate the system process that generated by user oracle_usr and have already processed for over 10 minutes , could suggest the script ? thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminate process

We have a system user "oracle_usr" always run some process in the system , but sometimes , these processes will not stop automatically until we terminate the process , can suggest the method how to terminate the process that is run by "oracle_usr" and run over 10 minutes ? thx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing a process that takes too long

Hello, I have a C program that takes anywhere from 5 to 100 arguments and I'd like to run it from a script that makes sure it doesnt take too long to execute. If the C program takes more than 5 seconds to execute, i would like the shell script to kill it and return a short message to the user. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: WeezelDs
3 Replies

4. SuSE

Disabling interrupt function of Control-C key combination

I am using informix RDBMS over SUSE LINUX. In linux if you press control-c it acts as an interrupt key. In my program I have used control-c to perform certain functions but it is being overriden by interrupt function of control-c key combination of SUSE LINUX. Kindly suggest me a solution by which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: V.V.KUMAR
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Password process takes a long time

We are running unix. After a reboot of the server we have found that changing password takes a long time. if type in passwd "username" you can type in the 1st instance of the password , press enter , then it will wait for about 3 minutes before bringing up the confirm password line typing it in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlewis
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort takes a long time

Dear experts I have a 200MG text file in this format: text \tab number I try to sort using options -fd and it takes very long! is that normal or I can speed it up in some ways? I dont want to split the file since this one is already splitted. I use this command: sort -fd file >... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: voolek
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh interrupt read instruction with signal

Dear shell experts, I spent last few days porting ksh script from ksh88/SunOS to ksh93/Linux. Basically, things are going well and I do not have too much troubles porting ks88 script to ksh93, but I stuck on one item. It's about sending and handling the signal. I found two similar... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bzk
8 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

database takes long time to process

Hi, we currently having a issue where when we send jobs to the server for the application lawson, it is taking a very long time to complete. here are the last few lines of the database log. 2012-09-18-10.35.55.707279-240 E244403536A576 LEVEL: Warning PID : 950492 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techy1
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command takes long

Hi, I am trying to search for a Directory called "mont" under a directory path "/opt/app/var/dumps" Although "mont" is in the very parent directory called "dumps" i.e "/opt/app/var/dumps/mont" and it can never be inside any Sub-Directory of "dumps"; my below find command which also checks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script takes too long to complete

Hi, I have a lengthy script which i have trimmed down for a test case as below. more run.sh #!/bin/bash paths="allpath.txt" while IFS= read -r loc do echo "Working on $loc" startdir=$loc find "$startdir" -type f \( ! -name "*.log*" ! -name "*.class*" \) -print | while read file do... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies
KILL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   KILL(1)

NAME
kill -- terminate or signal a process SYNOPSIS
kill [-s signal_name] pid ... kill -l [exit_status] kill -signal_name pid ... kill -signal_number pid ... DESCRIPTION
The kill utility sends a signal to the processes specified by the pid operands. Only the super-user may send signals to other users' processes. The options are as follows: -s signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -l [exit_status] If no operand is given, list the signal names; otherwise, write the signal name corresponding to exit_status. -signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -signal_number A non-negative decimal integer, specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. The following PIDs have special meanings: -1 If superuser, broadcast the signal to all processes; otherwise broadcast to all processes belonging to the user. Some of the more commonly used signals: 1 HUP (hang up) 2 INT (interrupt) 3 QUIT (quit) 6 ABRT (abort) 9 KILL (non-catchable, non-ignorable kill) 14 ALRM (alarm clock) 15 TERM (software termination signal) Some shells may provide a builtin kill command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. EXIT STATUS
The kill utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Terminate the processes with PIDs 142 and 157: kill 142 157 Send the hangup signal (SIGHUP) to the process with PID 507: kill -s HUP 507 Terminate the process group with PGID 117: kill -- -117 SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), killall(1), ps(1), sh(1), kill(2), sigaction(2) STANDARDS
The kill utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A kill command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
A replacement for the command ``kill 0'' for csh(1) users should be provided. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD