Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reserve Failed error for HD
Operating Systems Solaris Reserve Failed error for HD Post 86172 by 98_1LE on Tuesday 11th of October 2005 08:44:08 PM
Old 10-11-2005
I have never seen that message, but have to ask if the system is part of a cluster.

I have also used "percussive maineainence" to get a disk to spin up long enough to dd the data to another disk. It will either work or it won't.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

proper way to reserve ports in linux

How do you debug a perl script non interactively, similar to bash -x? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcpascual
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Reserve Memory for Global Zone

We have several containers on one machine and would like to reserve some memory for the global zone. capped-memory only allows max physical/swap and setting a max on each container isn't an option. The server has 32GB physical and 30GB swap. Currently there are ten containers on it. Normally... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kharjahn
6 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Create file for space Reserve

Hi All, I want to make a 3GB of space reserve on Solaris. Let me know whether there is a way by creating empty file of 3GB so that i can delete that file in future to utilize that space. Or any other better ways for space reserve. -Vinodh' Kumar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reserve resources (memory and processes)

I have a shell script which sets some variables and then calls modules of a program in succession, one by one. Problem is that the script is executed on servers with many users, so sometimes the script starts running, runs for 10 minutes and then breaks due to lack of resources when other users run... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tetreb
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Cygwin X Server error: xdmcp fatal error session failed session 23 failed for display

Hi, i got the following error when i tried to access the cygwin x server from a windows XP PC. "xdmcp fatal error session failed session 23 failed for display" Alternatively, when i tried to access the same Cygwin X Server from another windows XP PC which is on a different LAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HarishKumarM
3 Replies

6. AIX

Reserve Ports

Hi I have a ticket to Reserve ports for SAS install in SAS servers. Does anyone knows the procedure how to do it. it will be helpful for me please Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gulamibrahim
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reserve Ephemeral ports

my apps use port 40001; however, for example, firstly, I ftp to other server, it made a high port locally, remote is port 21, unfortunately, it hit my port 40001 and my apps is unable to startup. This chance is very very little, but I hit it. Can resevse my port 40001? otherwise command don't use it (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbid
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Authentication error; why = Failed (unspecified error)

I have two servers with a fresh install of Solaris 11, and having problems when doing rpcinfo between them. There is no firewall involved, so everything should theoretically be getting through. Does anyone have any ideas? I did a lot of Google searches, and haven't found a working solution yet. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: christr
2 Replies
volrootmir(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     volrootmir(8)

NAME
volrootmir - Mirror areas necessary for booting to a new disk SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volrootmir [-a] [nconfig=count] target_disk [swap=target_partition] OPTIONS
Specifies that all volumes on the system disk be mirrored, not just the root and swap volumes, rootvol and swapvol. DESCRIPTION
The volrootmir script causes a mirror copy of areas of the root disk involved in booting to be made on the specified target disk. When used without the -a option, volrootmir adds mirrors of the root and swap volumes and allocates them on the new disk. In addition, all disk regions required for booting are set up and partitions for the new volume mirrors are created. When used with the -a option, volrootmir mirrors all in-use partitions on the system disk. To mirror a swap volume that is on a separate disk from the root volume, the swap attribute must be used to specify a separate target for the swap mirror. The target disk(s) must be at least as large as the sum of the sizes of rootvol and swapvol. Also, the physical disk should not have any disk partition in use. This script can be called from the voldiskadm menus by choosing the Mirror volumes on a disk operation. ATTRIBUTES
Specifies the number of log copies and copies of the configuration database, for example, nconfig=2. Specifies that the swap volume, swapvol, be mirrored on a separate disk, as specified by target_partition. EXAMPLES
The following command mirrors the rootvol and swapvol volumes onto the target disk, dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on a differ- ent disk from rootvol. # volrootmir dsk3 The following command mirrors rootvol, swapvol, and any other volumes on the root disk onto the target disk, dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on a different disk from rootvol. # volrootmir -a dsk3 The following command mirrors rootvol on disk dsk3, swapvol onto partition dsk7d, and any other volumes on the root disk onto disk dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on the same disk as rootvol. # volrootmir -a dsk3 swap=dsk7d The following command mirrors rootvol onto disk dsk3 and swapvol onto partition dsk7d. This command will fail if swapvol is on the same disk as rootvol. # volrootmir dsk3 swap=dsk7d SEE ALSO
volintro(8), voldiskadm(8) volrootmir(8)