Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers is unix download the complete OS Post 8591 by jeffersno1 on Monday 15th of October 2001 08:40:17 AM
Old 10-15-2001
is unix download the complete OS

Hello people,

Can anyone tell me if the download from sun.com solaris 8 is the full unix operating system??

strange question i know but ive just downloaded the whole thing 2.5G and counldnt think as to why they would let people download it for free.Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A complete Unix Newbie

I would like to know if I should install unix over a windows 98. I want to use a home computer to host websites right now, but I know how much Windows likes resources ;) So, my question is... Should I get a Unix OS? If no, then do not read more and just reply :) If yes, then, which one? How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afinita
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

complete unix noob (sorry)

This is my first time in this forum so, Hello to all!!! I have been supporting windows based machines for a few years now and I have been writing batch files to do certain tasks for what seems like an age. I've recently started a new job (as it support) and my new colleagues have said,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blastman
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find complete path of a file in unix

hi experts(novice people can stay away as it is no child's game), i am developing a script which works like recycle bin of windows. the problem i am facing is that when ever i am trying to delete a file which is situated in parent directory or parent's parent directory i am unable to capture... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH complete-filename & menu-complete together

Hi, Does anyone know how to make BASH provide a list of possible completions on the first tab, and then start cycling through the possibilites on the next tab? Right now this is what I have in my .bashrc: bind "set show-all-if-ambiguous on" bind \\C-o:menu-complete This allows... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mithu
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Where to download unix not unix flavours like ubuntu, redhat etc.

I checked unix.org but did not find any link where i can download basic unix flavour. any idea from where i can download unix. thanks in advance. - nilesh (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynilesh
14 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Where can I download the VTC - Unix Shell Scripting Advanced complete video

Where can I download the VTC - Unix Shell Scripting Advanced complete video. I don't know in which thread I should post this question.Plz help me out, or just tell me the link in the reply to this post. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: villain41
0 Replies

7. Ubuntu

wget don't download complete file

I am using ubuntu 10.04 LTS I tried to download the file using wget , the file size is 105.00 MB, but wget downloads only around 44K. may be I am using wget in wrong way, any suggestions please? Below is the command I used and the response from system. wget --tries=10 -nd -nH --use=user... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxLearner
10 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)