Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Services (Solaris 9)
Special Forums Cybersecurity Unix Services (Solaris 9) Post 85819 by BCarlson on Friday 7th of October 2005 06:55:12 AM
Old 10-07-2005
Question Unix Services (Solaris 9)

Our systems group is asking if it would be Ok to turn off certain services due to potention security risks. The following are being contemplated.

Service
chargen
daytime
discard
dtspcd
echo
exec
finger
fs
gssd
in.comsat
kcms_server
ktkt_warnd
login
name
rpc.cmsd
rpc.metad
rpc.metamedd
rpc.metamhd
rpc.rusersd
rpc.ttdbserverd
rquotad
sadmind
shell
sprayd
sun-dr
talk
walld

Are there any compelling reasons to "not" turn any of these off?

Note: If I posted this in the wrong forum, I apologize (let me know which and I can repost).

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to set up legacy services right on Solaris 10

I want to add auto startup and shutdown script to Solaris 10's legacy services as they run in Solaris 9 or in Linux. To make this work, I created the crontrol script in /etc/init.d and then link it to /etc/rc0.d and /etc/rc2.d directories. rc0.d is for shutdown and rc2.d is for srat. After I... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
15 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

services, solaris 10

dear all, i have 2 questions on solaris 10. I noticed telnet/ftp/print services suddenly being stopped on one server. How can i trace this issue and find a resolution. Other issue is i need to enable rsh within the same host. enabled the service rexec and have created the .rhosts and have a + in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: earlysame55
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Problem in connecting TCP services between 2 Solaris Servers

Hi, I have 3 solaris servers. Two servers of differnet network and one gateway. Server1 --> 192.168.0.1 --> Solaris 9 Server2 --> 10.27.40.2 --> Solaris 10 Server3 --> Iface1 --> 192.168.0.5 --> Solaris 10 --> Gateway Iface2 --> 10.27.40.5 Now I am able to ssh... (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: neel.gurjar
36 Replies

4. Solaris

Remote services during Solaris installation

I've installed Solaris 10 (05-08) on a SPARC platform During the installation I was prompted with the question below. I selected yes to enable remote services. Does anyone know what services this option enables? - Enabling remote services ---------------------------------------- Would... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
6 Replies

5. Solaris

DNS Services on Solaris

We need a DNS Server on DNS 10. What the best product can i buy and install ? Help me, pls. Tks all. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quan0509
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 Services - Audit and Closure

Hello We have recently been through an audit of our solaris servers. All our solaris servers are running version 10. We have been told to close down all the services and we have closed what we could by using svcadm disable We only wish to let ssh and the ftp service to run. Below is a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sollyshah
3 Replies

7. Solaris

How to configure start up services/processes in Solaris 10?

I normally use "chkconfig" to configure start up services in a particular run level..... But i don't know how to do it in solaris 10.... please help me !!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

8. Solaris

NIS/smtp services issue on Solaris 11

Hi, Few services not starting on new build Solaris 11 non-global zone. I uninstalled zone and reinstalled and still same issue, while global zone is working fine. smpt service is going into maintenance mode and /var/svc/log/network-smtp:sendmail.log shows that it tries and then dead ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
0 Replies
asadmin-delete-connector-security-map(1)			   User Commands			  asadmin-delete-connector-security-map(1)

NAME
asadmin-delete-connector-security-map, delete-connector-security-map - deletesthe named security map for the given connector connection pool SYNOPSIS
delete-connector-security-map --user admin_user [--password admin_password] [--host localhost] [--port 4848] [--secure|-s] [--passwordfile filename] [--terse=false] [--echo=false] [--interactive=true] --poolname connector_connection_pool_name mapname Deletes the named security map for the given connector connection pool. This command is supported in remote mode only. OPTIONS
--user authorized domain application server administrative username. --password password to administer the domain application server. --host machine name where the domain application server is running. --port port number of the domain application server listening for administration requests. --secure if true, uses SSL/TLS to communicate with the domain application server. --passwordfile file containing the domain application server password. --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. Default is false. --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. Default is false. --interactive if set to true (default), only the required password options are prompted. --poolname connector connection pool name for which the security map that is to be deleted belongs to. OPERANDS
mapname name of the security map to be deleted. Example 1: Using delete-connector-security-map asadmin> delete-connector-security-map --user admin --password adminadmin --poolname connector-pool1 securityMap1 Command delete-connector-security-map executed successfully EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin- create-connector-security-map(1AS), asadmin-list-connector-security-maps(1AS), asadmin-update-connector-security-map(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-delete-connector-security-map(1)