Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What the term IO burst and CPU burst means? Post 8573 by loadc on Sunday 14th of October 2001 11:42:36 PM
Old 10-15-2001
I may be off here, but I don't see any other answers, and if memory serves, this was a relatively easy one.
Have you ever heard of "burst speeds" on netwrok equipment? This is in refernece to the capability of the hardware, under optimal conditions, to attain a given speed (usually the highest it is touted to have) for a very short period of time. You can accomplish this by removing certain obstacles, such as setting up a transfer to go to and from a ramdisk, and to allow the Tx and Rx be the only stations on the segment.
If my thinking and memory are correct, CPU and buses are allowed the same sorts of speed "license". Basically, they can say 40 Meg per second, but that may ony be for a few seconds, at the start of transmission.

Just a guess,

loadc

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X-Term for Windows

Hi Everyone, I need some information from all of you guys. I generally work on a Solaris OS in my school and I had heard that I can download something called X-Term on a Windows system and still work on some of the graphical things on windows which generally work only on unix. This is what I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelamarthi
5 Replies

2. Programming

Create a Term & Run chars on this Term

hi floks ! i'd like to know how can i transmete a character or a string from my source code to a term and make it interpret or un by the shell wich is running in my term. I'd like to create a Term from my code (and get its file descriptor) and then transmete each char typed on the keyboard to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_tical
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with TERM script

I am trying to amend an existing TERM script to prompt the end user for a password - then take that password and add it to a specific part of an existing file. Here is what I have - BUT - I am confusing Unix with Term and my script does not like what I added b/c the script simply runs through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Surdeymon
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search term and output term in desired field

Hi All, I have an input_file below and i would like to use Perl to search for the term "aaa" and output the 3rd term in the same row as "aaa".For Example, i want to search for the term "ddd" and would want the code to ouput the 3rd term in the same row which is "fff". Can somebody help ? ... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
28 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get persistant cpu utilization values per process per cpu in linux (! top,ps)

hi, i want to know cpu utilizatiion per process per cpu..for single processor also if multicore in linux ..to use these values in shell script to kill processes exceeding cpu utilization.ps (pcpu) command does not give exact values..top does not give persistant values..psstat,vmstat..does njot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

killproc -term

Hi, I am trying the function killproc -term and it seems to be doing something extra that kill <pid> doesn't do. My daemon cleanly terminates using kill, but not using killproc. I tried strace on killproc and then killproc works well. I read online that strace ignores SIGSTOP. does that mean... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fosfat
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is it possible to combine multiple CPU to act as a single CPU on the same server?

We have a single threaded application which is restricted by CPU usage even though there are multiple CPUs on the server, hence leading to significant performance issues. Is it possible to merge / combine multiple CPUs at OS level so it appear as a single CPU for the application? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dissa
6 Replies
burst(1)						      General Commands Manual							  burst(1)

NAME
burst - explode digests into messages (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
burst [+folder] [msgs] [options] OPTIONS
Expands the forwarded message or digest in its current place in the folder. The message that is expanded is replaced by the header used to forward the message, or if it is a digest, by the table of contents. The burst command then places the extracted messages immediately after this, and re-numbers the rest of the messages in the folder to make room for them. The original message or digest is not saved. If -noinplace is given, the original message or digest is preserved. The messages which burst extracts are placed at the end of the folder. Other messages are not re-numbered. This is the default behavior. Directs burst to be silent about reporting messages that are not in digest format. Normally, an error message is printed if you attempt to use burst on a message which does not contain encapsulated messages. Reports the general actions that burst is taking to explode the digest. The default settings for this command are: +folder defaults to the current folder msgs defaults to the current message -noinplace -noquiet -noverbose DESCRIPTION
The burst command extracts the original messages from a forwarded message, discards the forwarder's header details, and places the original messages at the end of the current folder. By default, burst takes the current message in the current folder. You can specify messages other than the current message by using burst with the +folder and msgs arguments. If you specify another message, that message becomes the current message. If you specify another folder, that folder becomes the current folder. The burst command will expand either a single message which contains a number of separate messages packed together for ease of mailing, or an Internet digest. The packf and forw commands can both pack individual messages into a single message or file. You can use burst in combination with forw or packf to re-direct or forward mail more conveniently. For example, if you wanted to forward a number of messages to yourself on another account, you could use forw to combine them and send them in a single message. When the message arrives, you can use burst to expand the single message into its constituent messages. RESTRICTIONS
The burst program enforces a limit on the number of messages which may be expanded from a single message. This number is about 1000 mes- sages. However, there is usually no limit on the number of messages which may reside in the folder after the messages have been expanded. The burst command only works on messages that have been encapsulated according to the guidelines laid down by the proposed standard RFC 934. The encapsulated message is considered to start after burst encounters a line of dashes. If you attempt to use burst on a message that has not been encapsulated according to RFC 934, the results may be unpredictable. For example, burst may find an encapsulation boundary prematurely, and split a single encapsulated message into two or more messages. Any text which appears after the last encapsulated message is not placed in a separate message by burst. When the -inplace option is used, this trailing information is lost. Text which appears before the first encapsulated message is not lost. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine your Mail directory Msg-Protect: To set file protection when creating a new message FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
forw(1), inc(1), msh(1), packf(1) Proposed Standard for Message Encapsulation (RFC 934) burst(1)