Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Turn off Screen Output
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Turn off Screen Output Post 85712 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 6th of October 2005 05:08:29 PM
Old 10-06-2005
I mean - are you trapping 1 and 2 like this?
Code:
myscript > /dev/null 2>&1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to hide output to screen

I have a script that askes users to enter in an oracle account and password, The information is displayed on the screen as they type it. Does anyone know how I can hide this output? :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boat73
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Supress screen output...

I need to suppress the output to the screen. I am appending to a file so do not need the output on the screen in the CLI environment. eg. cat $HOME/somefile >> $HOME/anotherfile I am doing this a number of times with SQL output files so I can look at the finished file not on the screen in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

screen output

I need to put the following in a script: echo $CCPDB will give me the db name on the screen. I need to use this name to tar cvfEh <newtarname> <dbname.exp>. I am not sure how to use the output that display on the screen in a script. I tried this echo $CCPDB > file didn't work Gundu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gundu
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

no screen output

I'm a newbie. I'm having a problem at work with a script. What i'm trying to do is connect to a cisco switch from a sun station. After i run the script and telnet into the switch i don't get any output on the "xterm window" and all my commands from the script don't show up on the screen or on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisher115
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to force output to screen??

hi, is there anyway i can force a output of a command to the monitor. for example banner hello > /dev/console it will show a hello in the console, so how do i make it to appear on the monitor screen when the console is been minmize. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckng
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suppressing output to the screen

I want to check whether the variable read from the console is number or character , so i used echo $option|grep and checked the reuslt returned by grep cmd using $? But since I use echo the value is getting printed in the screen , I want to supress the o/p. Can anyone suggest how this can be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rolex.mp
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Screen output

Is it possible to split the screen and show, lets say a local directory listing on the left and a remote directory listing on the right with shell scripting? I know it's usually done with curses/ncurses, but I'd really like to keep it simple as possible. I guess 'dialog' command could do it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lochraven
1 Replies

8. Linux

Cannot boot as usuall , turn to black screen & ask for loging in ???? Help me????

Hey guys..... Im new user for linux fedora 20.... i really need help ....... i have no idea why suddently when i turn on my laptop fedora turn to be black screen and ask me loging in , when i loging then nothing happen , it stay at the same screen... then i try to go to "with linux secure...,"... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: asianfootball
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use awk to turn character to newline then scan output

i have a datafile (data.txt) that has the following data: #Beginner`echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Screen output to a file

Hi All, I am trying to out of shell script when i run it like sh /mypath/abc.sh ....a screen log should be generated whenever i input the values, when above the script prompt for values Regards Amarendra (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amar1208
3 Replies
mm(1)							      General Commands Manual							     mm(1)

NAME
mm, osdd - print documents formatted with the mm macros SYNOPSIS
[options] [files] [options] [files] DESCRIPTION
can be used to format and print documents using and the text-formatting macro package (see nroff(1)). It has options to specify prepro- cessing by and/or (see tbl(1) and neqn(1)), and postprocessing by various terminal-oriented output filters. The proper pipelines and the required arguments and flags for and are generated, depending on the options selected. is equivalent to the command Options recognizes the following options and command-line arguments. Any other arguments or options (such as are passed to or to as appropriate. Such options can occur in any order, but they must appear before the files arguments. If no arguments are given, prints a list of its options. Specifies the type of output terminal; for a list of recognized values for term, type If this option is used, uses the value of the shell variable from the envi- ronment (see profile(4) and environ(5)) as the value of term if is set; otherwise, uses as the value of term. If several terminal types are specified, the last one is used. Indicates that the document is to be produced in 12-pitch. Can be used when is set to one of and (The pitch switch on the DASI 300 and 300s terminals must be manually set to if this option is used.) Causes to invoke col(1); note that col(1) is invoked automatically by unless term is one of and Causes to invoke Causes to invoke Invokes the option of DIAGNOSTICS
sends the message if none of the arguments is a readable file and is not used as a filter. EXAMPLES
Assuming that the shell variable is set in the environment to the two command lines below are equivalent: reads the standard input when is specified instead of any file names (mentioning other files along with leads to disaster). This option allows to be used as a filter, as in this example: Hints o invokes with the option. With this option, assumes that the terminal has tabs set every 8 character positions. o Use the option of to specify ranges of pages to be output. Note, however, that if invoked with one or more of the and options, together with the option of may cause a harmless ``broken pipe'' diagnostic if the last page of the document is not specified in list. o If you use the option of (to stop between pages of output), use line-feed (rather than return or new-line) to restart the output. The option of does not work with the option of or if automatically invokes (see option above and col(1)). o If you specify an incorrect output terminal type, produces (often subtle) unpredictable results. However, if you are redirecting output into a file, use the option, then use the appropriate terminal filter when actually printing the formatted file. SEE ALSO
col(1), env(1), nroff(1), tbl(1), profile(4), term(4), mm(5). mm(1)