Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Sort - Alternatives
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Unix Sort - Alternatives Post 85424 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 5th of October 2005 10:29:05 AM
Old 10-05-2005
Please post only in one forum - this is a duplicate.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ASP alternatives

I have just found out that a project I have developed in ASP (ultradev) needs to be migrated to a unix server and won't be able to support asp. Can anyone point me in the right direction to see what my options are with Unix? I have never worked with or developed for a Unix box before. Also,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ricki
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Alternatives for CLOCK_MONOTONIC

Hi, I need to develop timeout functionality in my code, which is not affected by system's time changes.Unfortunately I dont have CLOCK_MONOTONIC support in my OS. Are there any alternatives? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitks21
3 Replies

3. Linux

ntop/Nmon alternatives

Hi folks, Any folk has experience on ntop/Nmon ntop - network top and its spinoff NMON Welcome to nmon.net Nmon Nmon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia nmon for AIX and Linux Performance Monitoring IBM Wikis - AIX 5L Wiki - nmon A free tool to analyze AIX and Linux... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Metamail Alternatives on Solaris 10

Hi All, We have been trying to Install Metamail on our Solaris 10 server but have failed to do so. We are a bit topo short of time here so are now trying to Explore any Meta Mail alternatives. What we basically want to do is: Server will recieve email, Procmail will recieve the email... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkhanore
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Alternatives for sudo??

I am looking for an alternative for sudo in linux, where i need not type the password. OR is there any other version of 'growisofs', which can be executed under sudo??? As currently 'growisofs' refuses to start under sudo... Thanks in advance (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sony star
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed -f alternatives?

I have a list of items (control file) that I want to substitute in a text file, and it's BIG. The file has two items, the original, and the new: A B B C D E The file has something like 10,000 entries. So in the oldfile.txt, I'd like to basically make all these expression matched... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: twoblink
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH alternatives

Hi, I am using SSH to execute unix commands on remote machines. But, SSH will be diabled soon and I am looking for other alternatives to execute remote scripts/commands, without SSH . any suggestions or workarounds with out SSH for remote program executions ? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternatives to Expect

Are there any other alternatives to using Expect script? Can functionality provided by Expect be achieved by any other scripting language? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianya
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command alternatives

Hi is there an alternative other than the find command to get the size of files which are 10 days older ? I already use a script with find command find . -mtime +10. However would want to have an alternative script to find the size of files which are over 10 days. Let me know if you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkidhadha
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Builtin alternatives for several commands?

I'm adapting a BASH script to run with an absolute minimal amounts of Cygwin64 files so colleagues using Windows can use it without installing Cygwin. I am down to the following in /bin only (replacing cut with parameter substitution eliminated all needed things in /etc) bash.exe cygattr-1.dll... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies
sortbib(1)							   User Commands							sortbib(1)

NAME
sortbib - sort a bibliographic database SYNOPSIS
sortbib [-s KEYS] database... DESCRIPTION
sortbib sorts files of records containing refer key-letters by user-specified keys. Records may be separated by blank lines, or by `.[' and `.]' delimiters, but the two styles may not be mixed together. This program reads through each database and pulls out key fields, which are sorted separately. The sorted key fields contain the file pointer, byte offset, and length of corresponding records. These records are delivered using disk seeks and reads, so sortbib may not be used in a pipeline to read standard input. The most common key-letters and their meanings are given below. %A Author's name %B Book containing article referenced %C City (place of publication) %D Date of publication %E Editor of book containing article referenced %F Footnote number or label (supplied by refer) %G Government order number %H Header commentary, printed before reference %I Issuer (publisher) %J Journal containing article %K Keywords to use in locating reference %L Label field used by -k option of refer %M Bell Labs Memorandum (undefined) %N Number within volume %O Other commentary, printed at end of reference %P Page number(s) %Q Corporate or Foreign Author (unreversed) %R Report, paper, or thesis (unpublished) %S Series title %T Title of article or book %V Volume number %X Abstract -- used by roffbib, not by refer %Y,Z Ignored by refer By default, sortbib alphabetizes by the first %A and the %D fields, which contain the senior author and date. sortbib sorts on the last word on the %A line, which is assumed to be the author's last name. A word in the final position, such as `jr.' or `ed.', will be ignored if the name beforehand ends with a comma. Authors with two-word last names or unusual constructions can be sorted correctly by using the nroff convention `' in place of a blank. A %Q field is considered to be the same as %A, except sorting begins with the first, not the last, word. sortbib sorts on the last word of the %D line, usually the year. It also ignores leading articles (like `A' or `The') when sorting by titles in the %T or %J fields; it will ignore articles of any modern European language. If a sort-significant field is absent from a record, sortbib places that record before other records containing that field. No more than 16 databases may be sorted together at one time. Records longer than 4096 characters will be truncated. OPTIONS
-sKEYS Specify new KEYS. For instance, -sATD will sort by author, title, and date, while -sA+D will sort by all authors, and date. Sort keys past the fourth are not meaningful. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
addbib(1), indxbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1), attributes(5) BUGS
Records with missing author fields should probably be sorted by title. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 sortbib(1)