Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting copy certain files from subdirectories Post 85384 by iomaire on Wednesday 5th of October 2005 06:13:43 AM
Old 10-05-2005
Thanks very much

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing all files in all subdirectories

From the main directory, I have multiple layers of subdirectories and imbedded files (jpg's) that I would like to have a quiklook. Is there a way of listing out the contents of all of the subdirectories and files with a one-line command? Thx... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuciauskas
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing subdirectories and files

hi, i want to display all subdirectory files with directory name. I am using ls -Rl this will gives only filenames with long listing. But i want the filename padded with directory name. example : -rw-r--r-- 1 sidfor sigbd 1713 May 24 09:33... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read files from subdirectories

hello there the problem i got: i need to list .rrd files in each sub-directory from the parent directory, then create .xml files for each rrd files, the xml file should be in the same subdirectoryas rrd file. i have tried ls |awk '{print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: binbintriangel
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list the files but exclude the files in subdirectories

If I execute the command "ls -l /export/home/abcde/dev/proj/code/* | awk -F' ' '{print $9}' | cut -d'/' -f6-8" it will list all the files in /export/home/abcde/dev/proj/code/ directory as well as the files in subdirectories also proj/code/test.sh proj/code/test1.c proj/code/unix... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyjuezy
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for files in subdirectories

Hi! I want to find files located in subdirectories. I have tried ls -R | grep myfile but this won't tell me where the file is, only that it is there. Any one have a better idea? Thanks, --Euclid (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: euclid3628800
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive copy into a directory and all its subdirectories...

I want to copy a file from the top directory into all the sub-folders and all of the sub-folders of those sub-folder etc. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Thanks in advance of any help you can give. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EinsteinMcfly
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp files from subdirectories only.

Hi there, Our current directory structure is set up as follows: -2013-09-20 - 380134664407418202 - 76523.html - 5331257754517660 - 76267.html - 76268.html - 76269.html - 76270.html - 76271.html - 76272.html - 76273.html - 76274.html -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzip all the files with subdirectories present and append a part of string from the main .zip files

Hi frnds, My requirement is I have a zip file with name say eg: test_ABC_UH_ccde2a_awdeaea_20150422.zip within that there are subdirectories on each directory we again have .zip files and in that we have files like mama20150422.gz and so on. Iam in need of a bash script so that it unzips... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to all the files inside a directory excluding subdirectories and .zip files

Hii, Could someone help me to append string to the starting of all the filenames inside a directory but it should exclude .zip files and subdirectories. Eg. file1: test1.log file2: test2.log file3 test.zip After running the script file1: string_test1.log file2: string_test2.log file3:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
4 Replies
MAKEWHATIS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					     MAKEWHATIS(1)

NAME
makewhatis -- create whatis database SYNOPSIS
makewhatis [-a] [-i column] [-n name] [-o file] [-v] [-L] [directories ...] DESCRIPTION
The makewhatis utility collects the names and short descriptions from all the unformatted man pages in the directories and puts them into a file used by the whatis(1) and apropos(1) commands. Directories may be separated by colons instead of spaces. If no directories are speci- fied, the contents of the MANPATH environment variable will be used, or if that is not set, the default directory /usr/share/man will be pro- cessed. The options are as follows: -a Appends to the output file(s) instead of replacing them. The output will be sorted with duplicate lines removed, but may have obsolete entries. -i column Indents the description by column characters. The default value is 24. -n name Uses name instead of whatis. -o file Outputs all lines to the file instead of */man/whatis. -v Makes makewhatis more verbose about what it is doing. -L Process only localized subdirectories corresponding to the locale specified in the standard environment variables. ENVIRONMENT
LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANG These variables control what subdirectories will be processed if the -L option is used. MACHINE If set, its value is used to override the current machine type when searching machine specific subdirectories. MACHINE_ARCH If set, its value is used to override the current architecture when searching architecture specific subdirectories. MANPATH Determines the set of directories to be processed if none are given on the command line. FILES
/usr/share/man Default directory to process if the MANPATH environment variable is not set. */man/whatis The default output file. EXIT STATUS
The makewhatis utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
apropos(1), whatis(1) HISTORY
The makewhatis command appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. AUTHORS
The makewhatis program was originally written in Perl and was contributed by Wolfram Schneider. The current version of makewhatis was rewritten in C by John Rochester. BSD
December 3, 2005 BSD