Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: crontab question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers crontab question Post 85329 by sg6876 on Tuesday 4th of October 2005 03:24:47 PM
Old 10-04-2005
Regarding Unix shell internal

Hi

I want to know how UNIX shell works internally. Basically want to know how the shell differentiates between a normal file (it can be shell script or any other file) and an executable file?

Thanks in advance
-sg Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Crontab question

HI all, I would want to schedule a job to run every 2 weeks. In the mean time, i'm only able to schedule on every week. Is it possible to schedule 2 weeks on crontab? Thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *Jess*
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab Question.

I set up a job to run a script in a certain directory to remove certain files. The script seems to run as my logs indicate but nothing happens. If I run the script manually then it removes the correct files. I'm now wondering if crontab doesnt have access to remove files from the directory I'm... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
9 Replies

3. AIX

How-to crontab question

My question is how to specify the one-time execution of a shell script in crontab? For example: If I wanted to schedule shell "Test.sh" for one-time execution on December 13 at 8:00AM would it be as follows? 00 08 13 12 6 /usr/datatools/dtbackups/Test.sh > /usr/u/sybase_12.5/logs/Test.log &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alan.AIX
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about crontab

Hello guys, I have a server with Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5), there i have a lot of users, im the root. I need to lock the use of crontab to the users, i mean, i dont want to give to the users the option to creat any crontab line, how can i do that? I tried to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

Crontab question

Please cna you tell me if the following command entered in error would affect the crontab file crontab -e | more Thanks :) (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: blondie2407
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab question

I have a user (xxx) who is allowed to run cron jobs when a job is launched from cron is the .profile sourced in? I am not sure it is so I setup a cron job as this user to do the following: 35 15 * * 0-5 su - xxx -c "ksh ls -lt /tmp" > /tmp.out and I am seeing the following error (see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Crontab question

I want to run a script on (say) the 4th friday every month. But if I include this line in the crontab : 45 9 22-28 * 5 echo '4th Friday'|mailx -s "Fri week 4" mike it sends me mail if the date is 22-28, OR the day is friday. So I get mail every day for a week , and also every friday. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejordan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another crontab question

Hey out there This is all I have in my crontab file. I know the crontab works because it was already out there and working. I simply replaced the existing with my line of code below to see if it worked. I uploaded 6 month old pdf files in this directory, stopped/started all the scripts that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab question

I need to run an script every 10th and 25th day in every month at 11pm. the script name is /home/ss/automated.sh I tried to execute the script every day and everytime with the below syntax. its not executing it from crontab. * * * * * /home/ss/automated.sh Any idea why it not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on crontab

Hello, I have scheduled the execution of a file (delete_oldv02) every hour with crontab and it works perfectly. See below the instruction written. 0 */1 * * * /home/delete_oldv02 >>/home/delete_oldv02.log My first question is if I can add one more line to crontab. I also would like to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcaccount
5 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab -- maintain crontab files for individual users (V3) SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] file crontab [-u user] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
The crontab utility is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the allow file does not exist but the deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. The format of these files is one username per line, with no leading or trailing whitespace. Lines of other formats will be ignored, and so can be used for comments. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename '-' is given. The following options are available: -u Specify the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines ``your'' crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(1) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(1) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. -l Display the current crontab on standard output. -r Remove the current crontab. -e Edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. The specified editor must edit the file in place; any editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be used. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. FILES
/var/cron/allow List of users allowed to use crontab /var/cron/deny List of users prohibited from using crontab /var/cron/tabs Directory for personal crontab files DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') with the exception that the dangerous variant of calling crontab without a file name in the first form of the command is not allowed by this implementation. The pseudo-filename '-' must be specified to read from standard input. The new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> BSD
May 13, 2010 BSD