Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Quad or Duel Processors
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Quad or Duel Processors Post 85310 by rhfrommn on Tuesday 4th of October 2005 01:59:24 PM
Old 10-04-2005
There is no way of knowing for sure because it depends on the software you are trying to run.

If your software is able to use the multiple processors for parallel processing the quad option may well be better. But many apps don't do that, in which case the faster dual processors will have better performance.

Another factor is your workload characteristics. Can you run your software multiple times? For example, I once administered a 24 processor webserver where we ran up to 80 instances of a webserver all at once. The fact that we had lots of processors didn't make any of the individual webservers run faster, but it did allow us to have more running at once without slowing down the box. In a case like that more processors is helpful. But if you are running just a single instance of your app the extra processors are useless (unless the app does parallel threading like I mentinoed above).

Your best option is to install your software on both types and benchmark it before buying if possible.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Quad Fast Ethernet Card on Sparc 10?

I am having a problem getting my configuration to stick. After I installed my quad-card I did the following: 1. created hostname.qe0, hostname.qe1, hostname.qe2, hostname.qe3 files in my /etc directory. 2. In my /etc/hosts file I added the ip address of each interface and the name for each... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jskillet
7 Replies

2. BSD

Quad Booting...

Ok so currently I have XP and Slack booting on my laptop, the next two goals will be FreeBSD and Windows Server 2003, in that order (though I may need to start over and do server before unix/linux. Either way, how I got linux interacting nicely with XP was via this link: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jboswell
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gar stupid quad booting

well running win xp home win xp pro and linux suse 10 about to install freebsd 5.1 just wondering what problems :mad: im gonna have and any handy tips :rolleyes: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lord_of_pie
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Quad Ethernet

I have a Quad Ethernet card in a 220R. 2 ports activated. Each has its own hostname file and both hostnames are in the hosts file. I want both ports to have the same IP address so we can use the 2nd port in case we lose communication on the port. On bootup, the box gives me: SIOCSLIFFLAGS:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
5 Replies

5. Solaris

quad card configuration

Hi Group, I Have just installed quad card in my V440 machine, I am facing problem I cn just ping its ce0 card only rest of the cards are not ping able, here is details of my machine. ifconfig -a lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameergrover
2 Replies

6. Solaris

SunFire V440 Quad gigabit ce1 won't run Gig

Hi there. My first time posting so apologies for any indescretions in advance. :o I've got two SunFire V440 servers running Solaris 5v10. Both have a quad Gigabit ethernet card fitted, both have the same symptom; that is, I can't get the first port ce1 to run Gigabit. Motherboard ports are ce0 and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fixit9660
10 Replies

7. HP-UX

how can i know this processor quad or dual core ?

hi every body i want to know if i have server with hp-ux os if i did "machinfo" i will see no of cpu = for example 16 how can i know this is dual or quad core . thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to Check Memory if Single/Dual/Quad Rank

What command in redhat linux to know your memory if it is single, dual or quad rank. Anyone? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mujakol
2 Replies
psradm(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 psradm(8)

NAME
psradm, offline, online - Stops and starts processors in a multiprocessor system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/psradm -f [-v] [[-a] [processor_id...]] /usr/sbin/psradm -n [-v] [[-a] [processor_id...]] /usr/sbin/online [-v] [processor_id...] /usr/sbin/offline [-v] [processor_id...] OPTIONS
The following options apply only to the psradm command: Specifies that all the processors except the master processor be put off line or on line. Puts the specified processor off line. Puts the specified processor on line. The following option applies to all forms of the command: Displays a message about the status of the operation performed on each processor. DESCRIPTION
On a multiprocessor system, the psradm command puts one or more processors off line (stops a processor) or on line (starts a processor). The processor_id variable specifies an integer that uniquely identifies a processor. Use the psrinfo command to display processor identi- fication numbers. The offline command puts one or more processors off line (stops a processor). If no processors are specified, all processors that are on line are stopped except the master processor. The online command puts one or more processors on line (starts a processor). If no processors are specified, all processors that are off line are started. Note that you cannot use these commands to start or stop the master processor in a multiprocessor system. You must be the root user to use this command. The /var/adm/wtmp file contains information about successful processor state transitions. RESTRICTION
Do not use the psradm command to disable CPUs when benchmarking performance, because the command does not provide an accurate reflection of the performance of a system that actually has fewer CPUs. Accurate performance results are obtained only when you disable the CPUs at the SRM console command level. EXAMPLES
The following command puts processors 2 and 3 off line: # psradm -f 2 3 The following command puts all the processors on line: # psradm -n -a The following command puts all processors on line: # online -v FILES
SEE ALSO
Commands: pset_info(1), psrinfo(1) Files: processor_sets(4) psradm(8)