Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading specific contents from a file and appending it to another file Post 85158 by dnicky on Monday 3rd of October 2005 04:56:35 AM
Old 10-03-2005
Hi Ygor,

If I understand it correctly, your code reads the contents of the first file from line 33 onwards and then appends the same into file 2 from line 65 onwards.
The logic referring to the exact line number i.e. 33 for reading the contents from file 1 should work, but as far as appending the text in file 2 is concerned, it will not always be at line 65 as the contents of file 2 could be varying and hence the position. What I'm looking at is to append the text in file 2 right at the end (irrespective of number of lines in file 2) just inside the last closing paranthesis i.e. ')' in file 2. File 2 would always contain the closing paranthesis at the end and was wondering if we could use the same instead of hardcoding a specific line number to append the text.

Thanks for your time and your help is much appreciated.

Regards

dnicky

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reading ,writing,appending ,manipulating a file.

Hi my prob statement is to create a new file or to append to the 1tst file the followign chages. File 1: txt file. portfolio No a b c d abc 1 Any Any Any charString cds 2 values values values charString efd 3 can can can charString fdg 4 come come come charString... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: szchmaltz
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from 1 input files and appending it to another input file

Hi guys, I am new to AWK and unix scripting. Please see below my problem and let me know if anyone you can help. I have 2 input files (example given below) Input file 2 is a standard file (it will not change) and we have to get the name (second column after comma) from it and append it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sksahu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading and printing one by one contents of a file

I have a file which has following contents: localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552455.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552460.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552467.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552759.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552969.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552975.xml ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash copy file contents into an existing file at a specific location

Hi all I need to copy the entire contents of one file into an existing file at a specific location. I know the exact line number where I need to put it. It appears I would use either sed or awk to do this, but I have been unsuccessful so far: File A line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gshepherd7
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

issue on reading the file and appending date

Hi Am having issue on appending time stamp I know the exact file names in the directory like a.dat b.dat c.dat e.dat f.dat I want to read all these file names and append the timestamp to each files like a.dat.20090604,b.dat.20090604 and move to the different directory. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file contents until a keyword

Hi Guys, I need to read a file until I find a blank line. and in the next iteration I want to continue reading from the line I find a keyword. For ex: my file looks like PDS_JOB_ALIAS CRITERIA_ITEM_TYPE PDS_JOB_CRITERIA_ITEM CRITERIA_ITEM_TYPE First I want to read the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infintenumbers
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Appending a files contents to the end of a specific file name in several directories

Here is my dir structure: /tmp/dave/myappend.txt /tmp/dave/dir1/test.txt /tmp/dave/dir2/test.txt /tmp/dave/dir3/test.txt /tmp/dave/dir4/test.txt I want to append the contents of myappend.txt to the end of each file with the name "test.txt" in all dirs in /tmp/dave/ I have tried this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigd213
2 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

sed replace file contents by reading from another file

Hello, My input file1 is like this by tab-delimited chr1 mm10_knownGene stop_codon 3216022 3216024 0.000000 - . gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; chr1 mm10_knownGene CDS 3216025 3216968 0.000000 - 2 gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending content of a file to another file before a specific character

Hi there, i've got a file with this content $ cat file1 Matt Mar The other file has the same number of lines with this content: $ cat file2 20404=767294 23450=32427 is there a way with either using sed, awk or paste to insert the content of file1 before the "=" character? So... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
3 Replies
file(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   file(1)

NAME
file - determine file type SYNOPSIS
mfile] ffile] file ... UNIX 2003 (onwards) Synopsis mfile] Mfile] ffile] file ... DESCRIPTION
performs a series of tests on each file in an attempt to classify it. If file appears to be an ASCII file, examines the first 512 bytes and tries to guess its language. If file is an executable file, prints the version stamp, provided it is greater than 0 (see the descrip- tion of the option in ld(1)). uses the file to identify files that have some sort of that is, any file containing a numeric or string constant that indicates its type. Commentary at the beginning of explains the format. Options recognizes the following command-line options: Use alternate magic file mfile. (UNIX 2003 onwards Only) Use alternate magic file Mfile. Do not apply default context-sensitive tests. Check the magic file for format errors. This validation is not normally carried out for reasons of efficiency. No file classification is done when this option is specified. (UNIX 2003 onwards Only) Apply position-sensitive tests from the default magic file, and default context-sensitive tests to the file. Obtain the list of files to be examined from file ffile. classifies each file whose name appears in ffile. Do not follow symbolic links. From UNIX 2003 (onwards) environment, if is not specified and the is a symbolic link referring to a non-existent file, it is identified as a symbolic link, as if has been specified. Do not attempt to classify a regular file further. If the option is specified with the option, option, or both, the concatenation of the position-sensitive tests specified by these options is applied in the order specified by the appearance of these options. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
For information about the UNIX standard environment, see standards(5). Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. However, all non-ASCII text files are identified as "data". WARNINGS
The command for a release interprets the core files for that particular release correctly. Using the command on a core file generated on a different release will report incorrect results. SEE ALSO
ld(1), standards(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
file(1)