Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading specific contents from a file and appending it to another file Post 85158 by dnicky on Monday 3rd of October 2005 04:56:35 AM
Old 10-03-2005
Hi Ygor,

If I understand it correctly, your code reads the contents of the first file from line 33 onwards and then appends the same into file 2 from line 65 onwards.
The logic referring to the exact line number i.e. 33 for reading the contents from file 1 should work, but as far as appending the text in file 2 is concerned, it will not always be at line 65 as the contents of file 2 could be varying and hence the position. What I'm looking at is to append the text in file 2 right at the end (irrespective of number of lines in file 2) just inside the last closing paranthesis i.e. ')' in file 2. File 2 would always contain the closing paranthesis at the end and was wondering if we could use the same instead of hardcoding a specific line number to append the text.

Thanks for your time and your help is much appreciated.

Regards

dnicky

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reading ,writing,appending ,manipulating a file.

Hi my prob statement is to create a new file or to append to the 1tst file the followign chages. File 1: txt file. portfolio No a b c d abc 1 Any Any Any charString cds 2 values values values charString efd 3 can can can charString fdg 4 come come come charString... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: szchmaltz
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from 1 input files and appending it to another input file

Hi guys, I am new to AWK and unix scripting. Please see below my problem and let me know if anyone you can help. I have 2 input files (example given below) Input file 2 is a standard file (it will not change) and we have to get the name (second column after comma) from it and append it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sksahu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading and printing one by one contents of a file

I have a file which has following contents: localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552455.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552460.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552467.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552759.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552969.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552975.xml ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash copy file contents into an existing file at a specific location

Hi all I need to copy the entire contents of one file into an existing file at a specific location. I know the exact line number where I need to put it. It appears I would use either sed or awk to do this, but I have been unsuccessful so far: File A line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gshepherd7
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

issue on reading the file and appending date

Hi Am having issue on appending time stamp I know the exact file names in the directory like a.dat b.dat c.dat e.dat f.dat I want to read all these file names and append the timestamp to each files like a.dat.20090604,b.dat.20090604 and move to the different directory. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file contents until a keyword

Hi Guys, I need to read a file until I find a blank line. and in the next iteration I want to continue reading from the line I find a keyword. For ex: my file looks like PDS_JOB_ALIAS CRITERIA_ITEM_TYPE PDS_JOB_CRITERIA_ITEM CRITERIA_ITEM_TYPE First I want to read the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infintenumbers
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Appending a files contents to the end of a specific file name in several directories

Here is my dir structure: /tmp/dave/myappend.txt /tmp/dave/dir1/test.txt /tmp/dave/dir2/test.txt /tmp/dave/dir3/test.txt /tmp/dave/dir4/test.txt I want to append the contents of myappend.txt to the end of each file with the name "test.txt" in all dirs in /tmp/dave/ I have tried this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigd213
2 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

sed replace file contents by reading from another file

Hello, My input file1 is like this by tab-delimited chr1 mm10_knownGene stop_codon 3216022 3216024 0.000000 - . gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; chr1 mm10_knownGene CDS 3216025 3216968 0.000000 - 2 gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending content of a file to another file before a specific character

Hi there, i've got a file with this content $ cat file1 Matt Mar The other file has the same number of lines with this content: $ cat file2 20404=767294 23450=32427 is there a way with either using sed, awk or paste to insert the content of file1 before the "=" character? So... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
3 Replies
nl(1)							      General Commands Manual							     nl(1)

Name
       nl - line numbering filter

Syntax
       nl [-h type] [-b type] [-f type] [-v start#] [-i incr] [-p ] [-l num] [-s sep] [-w width] [-n format] [-d delim] file

Description
       The  command reads lines from the named file or from the standard input, if no file is named, and reproduces the lines on the standard out-
       put.  Lines are numbered on the left in accordance with the command options in effect.

The command views the text it reads in terms of logical pages.  Line numbering is reset at the start of each logical page.  A logical  page
       consists  of  a header, a body, and a footer section.  Empty sections are valid.  Different line numbering options are independently avail-
       able for header, body, and footer.  For example, you can elect not to number header and footer lines while numbering  blank  lines  in  the
       body.

The start of logical page sections is signaled by input lines containing nothing but the following delimiter characters:

Line contents	Start of

::: 	header

::		body

:		footer

Unless otherwise specified, assumes that the text it is reading is in the body of a single logical page.

Options
       Command options may appear in any order and may be intermingled with an optional file name.  Only one file may be named.

-b type		   Specifies  which  logical page body lines are to be numbered.  The following are recognized types and their meaning: a,
			   number all lines; t, number lines with printable text only; n, no line numbering; pstring, number only lines that  con-
			   tain the regular expression specified in string.

The default type for logical page body is t (text lines numbered).

-h type		   Same as -b type except for header.  Default type for logical page header is n (no lines numbered).

-f type		   Same as -b type except for footer.  Default for logical page footer is n (no lines numbered).

-p		   Do not restart numbering at logical page delimiters.

-v start#	   The initial value used to number logical page lines.  Default is 1.

-i incr		   The increment value used to number logical page lines.  Default is 1.

-s sep		   The character used in separating the line number and the corresponding text line.  Default sep is a tab.

-w width 	   The number of characters used for the line number.  Default width is 6.

-n format	   The	line  numbering  format.   Recognized values are the following: ln, left justified, leading zeroes suppressed; rn,
			   right justified, leading zeroes suppressed; rz, right justified, leading zeroes kept.  Default format is rn (right jus-
			   tified).

-l num		   The	number	of  blank lines to be considered as one.  For example, -l2 results in only the second adjacent blank being
			   numbered (if the appropriate -ha, -ba, or -fa option is set).  Default is 1.

-d xx		   The delimiter characters specifying the start of a logical page section may be changed from the default characters (:)
			   to two user-specified characters.  If only one character is entered, the second character remains the default character
			   (:).  No space should appear between the -d and the delimiter characters.  To enter a  backslash,  you  must  type  two
			   backslashes (//).

Examples
       nl -v10 -i10 -d!+ file1
       This command numbers file1 starting at line number 10 with an increment of ten.	The logical page delimiters are !+.

See Also
       pr(1)

nl(1)