Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory ReiserFS vs ext3 vs anything else? Post 85085 by fishsponge on Friday 30th of September 2005 05:41:19 PM
Old 09-30-2005
apologies for the potentially dangerous thread... i really meant this topic to be a discussion about reiserfs i guess... i know enough about ext3 already (i think), so without comparing necessarily, i'd just like to know more about reiser Smilie

Also, a little comparison is needed, as i'm sure you agree, in order for us people to make educated decisions regarding things like which fs to use etc... i can appreciate the potential can of worms this could become though, so i'm not gonna be offended if this does get closed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert filesystem from reiserfs to ext2

Hi, My current linux server's filesystems is reiserfs. Unfortunately I need to enable quota for my users and as far as I know quota won't run on reiserfs. So, can I convert the filesystem types to ext2 from reiserfs without having to re-install my o/s? Or, is there any quota applications... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Anyone else see a performance hit from ext3

I reinstalled my Linux box with RedHat 7.2 and used the ext3 journaling file system. This thing is a pig now. There isn't much running on the box, and performance is sad. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

ext3 filesystem

what do you think about the ext3 journal filesystem?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: comadreja
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grub and Reiserfs

Hi all I just installed Fedora Core 3 onto my pc which is running slackware as the 'main' os I have been using LILO as the boot loader for a long time but thought I'd swap to GRUB for a change. Fedora boots fine. I have a seperate /boot partition for my slackware install ......its... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: silvaman
0 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

EXT3 Performance tuning

Hi all, long time ago I posted something, but now, it is needed again :( Currently, I am handling with a big NFS Server for more than 200 clients, this sever has to work with 256 NFSDs. Because of this huge amount of NFSDs, there are thousands of small write accesses down to the disk and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcom
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/ext2 and /ext3

Hi all, I was installing linux, so i want to know the basic difference between /ext2 and /ext3 filetype.. what is the significance of using /ext2 and /ext3 pls clarify Thanks Vasikaran (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

root directory with reiserfs??

Today,I have recompile kernel 2.6.24 with reiserfs support with Module on rhel5.then I make following change: 1:change /etc/fstab: /dev/Vg1/lv.root / reiserfs defaults 1 1 and cd /boot/; mkinitrd --with=reiserfs initrd-reiserfs-2.6.24.img. 2.6.24 2:then I use other support... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshzh359
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting fs ext3

I'm trying to find a correct command that will mount a filesystem ext3 the device /dev/sda1 to mount point /mnt/usb but not allow any programs to run from it. I want to be honest as I've read the forum rules... This is a homework question BUT, i'm generally interested in the correct process and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CasperQuiet
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question regarding mkfs ext3

Hi i am looking for some help with a question relating to the creation of the ext3 file system. "Why is it good practice not to have a file system mounted whilst you try to create it?" I have searched google but not had any luck in finding out what the actual dangers are of creating a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: allan1986
1 Replies

10. Linux

Mount reiserfs .dsk image failed: can't read superblock

I have a failed 160 GB Western Digital Netcenter NAS disk and its image after failing in .DSK format. When I connect the disk to my ubuntu machine and typed: # losetup -o 512006144 /dev/loop1 /dev/sdc # mkdir /tmp/sdc # mount -r -t reiserfs /dev/loop1 /tmp/sdc I get my folders and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalil1408
0 Replies
DEBUGREISERFS(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  DEBUGREISERFS(8)

NAME
debugreiserfs SYNOPSIS
debugreiserfs [ -dDJmoqpS ] [ -j device ] [ -B blocknumber ] device DESCRIPTION
It helps sometimes to solve problems with reiserfs filesystems. Being called w/o options it prints super block of reiserfs filesystem found on the device. device is the special file corresponding to the device (e.g /dev/hdXX for IDE disk partition or /dev/sdXX for SCSI disk partition). OPTIONS
-j device print contents of journal. Also with the option -p it allows to pack journal into archive with other metadata -J print journal header. -d print formatted nodes of the internal tree of the filesystem -D print formatted nodes of all used blocks of the filesystem -m print contents of bitmap (not very useful) -o print objectid map (not very useful) -1 blocknumber print specified block of the filesystem -p Makes debugreiserfs to find filesystem metadata This option exists to help reiserfsck debugging. If reiserfsck fails - you may extract filesystem metadata with debugreiserfs -p /dev/xxx |gzip -c > xxx.gz. We download that data and make the filesystem similar to your with gunzip -c xxx.gz | unpack /dev/xxx (unpack is included into reiserfsprogs package). This usually allows to reproduce and debug the problem quickly. When data file is not too large. -S When -S is not specified -p deals with blocks marked used in the filesystem bitmap. With this option set they will work with whole device. -q Suppress showing speed of progress when -p is in use AUTHOR
This version of debugreiserfs has been written by Hans Reiser <reiser@idiom.com>. BUGS
There are probably few of them. Please, report bugs to ReiserFS mail-list <reiserfs-list@namesys.com>. SEE ALSO
reiserfsck(8), mkreiserfs(8) Reiserfsprogs 3.6.4 January 2002 DEBUGREISERFS(8)