Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory ReiserFS vs ext3 vs anything else? Post 85085 by fishsponge on Friday 30th of September 2005 05:41:19 PM
Old 09-30-2005
apologies for the potentially dangerous thread... i really meant this topic to be a discussion about reiserfs i guess... i know enough about ext3 already (i think), so without comparing necessarily, i'd just like to know more about reiser Smilie

Also, a little comparison is needed, as i'm sure you agree, in order for us people to make educated decisions regarding things like which fs to use etc... i can appreciate the potential can of worms this could become though, so i'm not gonna be offended if this does get closed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert filesystem from reiserfs to ext2

Hi, My current linux server's filesystems is reiserfs. Unfortunately I need to enable quota for my users and as far as I know quota won't run on reiserfs. So, can I convert the filesystem types to ext2 from reiserfs without having to re-install my o/s? Or, is there any quota applications... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Anyone else see a performance hit from ext3

I reinstalled my Linux box with RedHat 7.2 and used the ext3 journaling file system. This thing is a pig now. There isn't much running on the box, and performance is sad. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

ext3 filesystem

what do you think about the ext3 journal filesystem?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: comadreja
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grub and Reiserfs

Hi all I just installed Fedora Core 3 onto my pc which is running slackware as the 'main' os I have been using LILO as the boot loader for a long time but thought I'd swap to GRUB for a change. Fedora boots fine. I have a seperate /boot partition for my slackware install ......its... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: silvaman
0 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

EXT3 Performance tuning

Hi all, long time ago I posted something, but now, it is needed again :( Currently, I am handling with a big NFS Server for more than 200 clients, this sever has to work with 256 NFSDs. Because of this huge amount of NFSDs, there are thousands of small write accesses down to the disk and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcom
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/ext2 and /ext3

Hi all, I was installing linux, so i want to know the basic difference between /ext2 and /ext3 filetype.. what is the significance of using /ext2 and /ext3 pls clarify Thanks Vasikaran (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

root directory with reiserfs??

Today,I have recompile kernel 2.6.24 with reiserfs support with Module on rhel5.then I make following change: 1:change /etc/fstab: /dev/Vg1/lv.root / reiserfs defaults 1 1 and cd /boot/; mkinitrd --with=reiserfs initrd-reiserfs-2.6.24.img. 2.6.24 2:then I use other support... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshzh359
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting fs ext3

I'm trying to find a correct command that will mount a filesystem ext3 the device /dev/sda1 to mount point /mnt/usb but not allow any programs to run from it. I want to be honest as I've read the forum rules... This is a homework question BUT, i'm generally interested in the correct process and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CasperQuiet
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question regarding mkfs ext3

Hi i am looking for some help with a question relating to the creation of the ext3 file system. "Why is it good practice not to have a file system mounted whilst you try to create it?" I have searched google but not had any luck in finding out what the actual dangers are of creating a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: allan1986
1 Replies

10. Linux

Mount reiserfs .dsk image failed: can't read superblock

I have a failed 160 GB Western Digital Netcenter NAS disk and its image after failing in .DSK format. When I connect the disk to my ubuntu machine and typed: # losetup -o 512006144 /dev/loop1 /dev/sdc # mkdir /tmp/sdc # mount -r -t reiserfs /dev/loop1 /tmp/sdc I get my folders and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalil1408
0 Replies
RESIZE_REISERFS(8)					      System Manager's Manual						RESIZE_REISERFS(8)

NAME
resize_reiserfs - Reiserfs filesystem resizer SYNOPSIS
resize_reiserfs [ -s [+|-]size[K|M|G] ] [ -j dev ] [ -fqv ] device DESCRIPTION
The resize_reiserfs tool resizes an unmounted reiserfs file system. It enlarges or shrinks an reiserfs file system located on a device so that it will have size bytes or size=old_size +(-) size bytes if the + or - prefix is used. If the -s option is not specified, the filesystem will be resized to fill the given device. The size parameter may have one of the optional modifiers K, M, G, which means the size parameter is given in kilo-, mega-, gigabytes respectively. The resize_reiserfs program does not manipulate the size of the device. If you wish to enlarge a filesystem, you must make sure you expand the underlying device first. This can be done using cfdisk(8) for partitions, by deleting the partition and recreating it with a larger size (assuming there is free space after the partition in question). Make sure you re-create it with the same starting disk cylinder as before! Otherwise, the resize operation will certainly not work, and you may lose your entire filesystem. The resize_reiserfs program allows to grow a reiserfs on-line if there is a free space on block device. If you wish to shrink an reiserfs partition, first use resize_reiserfs to shrink the file system. You may then use cfdisk(8) to shrink the device. When shrinking the size of the device, make sure you do not make it smaller than the reduced size of the reiserfs filesystem. OPTIONS
-s [+|-]size Set the new size in bytes. -j dev Set the journal device name. -f Force, do not perform checks. -q Do not print anything but error messages. -v Turn on extra progress status messages (default). RETURN VALUES
0 Resizing successful. -1 In another case. EXAMPLES
The following example shows how to test resize_reiserfs. Suppose 2Gb reiserfs filesystem is created on the device /dev/hda8 and is mounted on /mnt. For shrinking the device we need to unmount it first, then run resize_reiserfs with a size parameter (in this case -1Gb): df umount /mnt resize_reiserfs -s -1G /dev/hda8 mount /dev/hda8 /mnt df /mnt WARNING
Note that this is a BETA program and may corrupt filesystems. AUTHOR
This version of resize_reiserfs has been written by Alexander Zarochentcev <zam@namesys.com>. BUGS
Please, report about the bugs to Alexander Zarochentcev <zam@namesys.com> or to Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com>. SEE ALSO
cfdisk(8), reiserfsck(8), debugreiserfs(8) Reiserfsprogs-3.6.4 January 2002 RESIZE_REISERFS(8)