Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how can I rename the following=-^ Post 84923 by wvdeijk on Thursday 29th of September 2005 01:29:16 PM
Old 09-29-2005
Type in ls ?? to list all files with 2 character names. If this file is the only one, then you can mv ?? newfilename.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rename using mv ?

Hi all how can can remove the underscore from this number in this series _1234567.abc _1234567.abcd I was trying mv _1234567* 1234567 but did not work ? thanks s (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename while doing ftp

hi friends, I writing a script to psot dataset to ceratin server.....while doing ftp I have to rename the file while which is in present server like present :test server filename data.097878. ftp server: it sholu be renamed as data.097878.zip thanks, The thing is that while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nagabhushan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rename files help

Hi, I've already search for this issue but I found different scripts for rename files, but I don't know how to customize it for my needs. Here's what I want to do: I have a lot of files inside many directories, like this: /aa/01.txt /aa/02.txt /ab/01.txt /ab/02.txt I want all those files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename

hi, im doin an assignment which requires you to build a shell script to do the MS DOS style equivilant (sp?) of the rename function. What i have to do is a loop which checks the following rules and output messages (same): Can't have anything after target Can't have more than one dot Can't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bohoo
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with rename

hi guys i am writing a script to change the filename which is enterered as input to lower case letter even if one letter is upper case i have to change it to lower case i get the input and use sed comand should i use like that sed/s/a-z/A-Z/d will it be like that can u please help me (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: farhan_t49
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files

Hi, I am new to Unix and i have a requirement where i need to write a shell script where i have to loop through various files present in a directory and rename them based on below criteria. Files in the folder are in the following format. _YYYYMMDD.dat] SDL_V1_20100530.dat... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishoo
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename a file

how to rename a file if I don't know file location ? Can we below command : $ find / | mv file1.txt I am not sure........can any1 help me out ? Thanks, Tushar Joshi:mad: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tusharjoshi
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use function 'rename' ?

hello, all I have following files: file_1 file_2 file_3 ... file_9 Now I want to rename them as: file_001 file_002 file_003 ... file_009 how to use function 'rename' to accomplish this task? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlewenwen
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using rename

I want to rename files Files show like this 1977SSD_rsdtst.pdf 1976SDP_rstdtsr.pdf 1943FDT_rstdsrt.pdf 1996DFF_stdstrd.pdf I want to introduce _ after the year, and move the characters to the end to get 1977_rsdtst_SSD.pdf 1976_rstdtsr_SDP.pdf 1943_rstdsrt_FDT.pdf... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using rename

Renaming files using rename on the following files rename 's/.99999/.99999.sac.pzs/g' *.99999 sac_pzs_iv_esml_hhz__2013.074.10.18.23.0000_2599.365.23.59.59.99999 sac_pzs_iv_favr_hhe__2010.187.00.00.00.0000_2599.365.23.59.59.99999... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies
rename(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							rename(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
rename - Rename or delete a command SYNOPSIS
rename oldName newName _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Rename the command that used to be called oldName so that it is now called newName. If newName is an empty string then oldName is deleted. oldName and newName may include namespace qualifiers (names of containing namespaces). If a command is renamed into a different namespace, future invocations of it will execute in the new namespace. The rename command returns an empty string as result. EXAMPLE
The rename command can be used to wrap the standard Tcl commands with your own monitoring machinery. For example, you might wish to count how often the source command is called: rename ::source ::theRealSource set sourceCount 0 proc ::source args { global sourceCount puts "called source for the [incr sourceCount]'th time" uplevel 1 ::theRealSource $args } SEE ALSO
namespace(1T), proc(1T) KEYWORDS
command, delete, namespace, rename ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl rename(1T)