Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Learning to program in c
Top Forums Programming Learning to program in c Post 8490 by mbb on Friday 12th of October 2001 10:12:48 AM
Old 10-12-2001
I know just what you mean!

Here are some ideas for you

1. Video shop database/booking system.

** A database can be just a bunch of flat text files.

2. Sorting routines.

** Try to write a sort routine that can handle any size of file.
Use temporary files to store intermediate results.

3. Experiment with simple screen displays.

e.g. write a menu program that use (by file or command line) a list of options and will return the selected option.

4. A mail merge program.

5. Try to emulate some Unix commands e.g. grep, ls, find

6. If you can manipulate graphics try writing a program that generates a tiled map of terrain.

** Try to make the map a realistic a possible. Keep it in as small amount of memory as possible. Allow the user to scroll about the map using cursor keys.

These are just a few ideas of the top of my head. I promise you that at when I was learning how to program I have written these programs for myself.

It is good that you are willing to take on programming. Remember the only way to get good is to pratice.

Regards

MBB

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

learning on my own

can i do this? i am learning this on my own..and from the book..simple unix i am not sure if the syntax would work if statement then statement do or for or while statement done else statement fi.... I dont know how else to explain that...I hope I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonas27
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning to program eBooks and CBTs

Hi Guys, I have recently started a new job at quite a large company. Part of my daily role is to grep for processes, kill them when they're failing and restart them etc. Also editing config files in Vi mode. I have become quite interested in Unix and am currently studying for the Sun Certified... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to open program and send/execute command in program

Hi, i want to write a script that executes a program (exec?) . this program then requires a filename as input. how do i give it this input in the script so the program will be complete run and close by the script. e.g. exec prog.exe program then asks for filename "enter filename:"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuathan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text book / online resource for learning to program at system/kernel level

Is there any book/resource that one can refer to, to be able to write programs at kernel/system level.. I'm looking for a programming book that could serve as a guide to write kernel codes / system level programming etc.. I have Tannenbaum's Design and Implementation. It addresses theoretical... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning Scripting

Hi All, I am facing an issue. I need your advise. I want to take my unix skills to the next level. I want to verse in scripting now. I got some understanding of programming. I did a little bit of C++, Assembly in College. I got some basics in perl. I am wondering if It would be best to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning Perl

Folks! Anyone please explain the behavior of this program step by step. Thanks. #! /usr/bin/perl $testfile = "./testfile2"; for ( $i = 1, $i <= 5, $i++) { open ($FILE, ">", $testfile); print ($FILE "Output 1 \n"); close ($FILE); } print "The value of (4 * 2) / 2 is "; print (4 * 2)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: huko99
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Calling compiled C program with Perl program

Long story short: I'm working inside of a Unix SSH under a bash shell. I have to code a C program that generates a random number. Then I have to call the compiled C program with a Perl program to run the C program 20 times and put all the generated random #s into a text file, then print that text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdkirby
1 Replies

8. AIX

Learning AIX from zero.

Dear Sirs: Good afternoon, my name is Javier. I´m new to Unix and I am working as a Linux Server admin in an ISP from Argentina. I´m want to in learn AIX, and find interesting information about it on some IBM Redbooks. I would like to know if is there any possibility to Virtualize an AIX... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavinux
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl program get a response before the program quits

I created a program, so a kid can practice there math on it. It dispenses varies math problems and the kid must input an answer. I also want it to grade the work they have done, but I can't find the best place for it to print out the grade. I have: if ( $response =~ m/^/ ) { $user_wants_to_quit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: germany1517
1 Replies
TILED-QT(1)						       tmxviewer User Manual						       TILED-QT(1)

NAME
tmxviewer - program to view tmx files SYNOPSIS
tmxviewer [{-h | --help}] [{-v | --version}] [file] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the tmxviewer commands This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. tmxviewer is a program that views tmx map file. It pops a window and let you browse the map. OPTIONS
The program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -h, --help Show summary of options. -v, --version Show version of program. SEE ALSO
tiled(1) AUTHOR
Ying-Chun Liu <paulliu@debian.org> Wrote this manpage for the Debian system. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Ying-Chun Liu (PaulLiu) This manual page was written for the Debian system (and may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 or (at your option) any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2. tmxviewer 05/16/2012 TILED-QT(1)