Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Red hat or free BSD?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Red hat or free BSD? Post 849 by Neo on Monday 22nd of January 2001 05:07:48 PM
Old 01-22-2001
I've seen a lot of BSD vs. Linux discussions turn into flame-wars (that is why I closed the thread early).

My apologies for closing, but there are little differences between all UNIX flavors, except for personal taste and it is not fair to developers of one UNIX OS to use this forum to critique their hard work and dedication.

Saying BSD or Linux or RedHat is 'more stable' or 'more secure' or 'less secure' is inaccurate, overly simplifies complex problems and misleading. This is not 'the rumor board' Smilie There are plenty of those on the net, but not here Smilie

Also, if a thread gets closed too early (or you want a closed thread reopened) just email and make a polite request to reopen.

[Edited by Neo on 01-22-2001 at 05:56 PM]

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free Bsd

i am installing FREEBSD and I would like to know which hardware specific network card that works and help with this would be great I am very new to this (UNIX) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BSD_NEWUSER
1 Replies

2. BSD

X-Windows Free BSD

so, i have a video card SIS s315 AGP and i can't cofigure X Free on free BSD to run X window. Anybody can help me solve this problem?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dmitri-br
2 Replies

3. BSD

Free BSD X window

Can anyone help me ? I have installed Free BSD several times and I can't get the X window to work . I have installed the ports Gnome and others but for some reason when I type start x doesn't work. I downloaded the 3 i386 disks but I get to install the first one wich complete the setup and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyhawkfly
3 Replies

4. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Red Hat Enterprise Linux - For Free!

CentOS 2 and 3 are a 100% compatible rebuild of the RHEL 2 and 3 versions, in full compliance with RedHat's redistribution requirements. It is for people who need an enterprise class OS without the cost of certification and support. Read more here. I've just installed it on a spare box and it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zazzybob
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hardware for UNIX/Free BSD

Hi! I'm planning to start to set up a Webserver. All software has to be freeware. I'm also planning to use Free BSD/UNIX for this project. Apache as Webserversystem and so on... Therefor I would like to have some info about what kind of hardware I need. I'm planning to buy a computer... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kargooliw
9 Replies

6. BSD

How to create IP table at Free BSD

Now, I had installed free bsd at my office. Unfortunitely, Email server have been using Local PoP3 and SMTP to our ISP with outlook. but my unix firewall sever ( free bsd ) didn't allow these port ( 110 & 25 ). How can i create the IP table to pass at server. If u have any experience about obvious... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashraff Ali
4 Replies

7. BSD

installing free BSD

Hello friends. I am new to Unix although i am very flexible to any programming language. i was a window user. Now, no more. I have decided myself to switch to unix. Here is my problem: I burned the free BSD into my new RW CD's. I inserted the bootable manager first then, it was scanning and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonjour2006
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Free Cluster software with Red Hat Linux 5.0

Hi, I would like to know wheather any free cluster software is coming with Red Hat Ent Linux Medias? or needs to be purchased seperately. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ?

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
2 Replies
PTHREAD_CANCEL(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					 PTHREAD_CANCEL(3)

NAME
pthread_cancel -- cancel execution of a thread LIBRARY
POSIX Threads Library (libpthread, -lpthread) SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_cancel(pthread_t thread); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_cancel() function requests that thread be canceled. The target thread's cancelability state and type determines whether and when the target thread reacts to the cancellation request. 1. The cancelability state of a thread is determined by the pthread_setcancelstate(3) function. The state can be either: o PTHREAD_CANCEL_ENABLE: the cancelability type determines when the actual cancellation occurs. This is the default. o PTHREAD_CANCEL_DISABLE: the request from pthread_cancel() remains queued until the cancellation is enabled by the thread. 2. The cancellation type of a thread is determined by the pthread_setcanceltype(3) function. The type can be either: o PTHREAD_CANCEL_DEFERRED: the cancellation will be delayed until the thread calls a function that is a cancellation point. This is the default. The available cancellation points are listed in pthread_setcanceltype(3). o PTHREAD_CANCEL_ASYNCHRONOUS: the thread can be canceled at any time. When the tread reacts to the cancellation request, the following occur: 1. The cancellation cleanup handlers for the thread are called; see pthread_cleanup_push(3). 2. When the last cancellation cleanup handler returns, the thread-specific data destructor functions will be called for the thread. 3. When the last destructor function returns, the thread will be terminated; see pthread_exit(3). The cancellation processing in the target thread runs asynchronously with respect to the calling thread returning from pthread_cancel(). A status of PTHREAD_CANCELED is made available to any threads joining with the target. The symbolic constant PTHREAD_CANCELED expands to a constant expression of type (void *), whose value matches no pointer to an object in memory nor the value NULL. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the pthread_cancel() functions will return zero. Otherwise an error number will be returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
The pthread_cancel() function may fail if: [ESRCH] No thread could be found corresponding to that specified by the given thread ID. SEE ALSO
pthread_cleanup_pop(3), pthread_join(3), pthread_testcancel(3) STANDARDS
The function conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
July 9, 2010 BSD