Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 65 thousand dollar question
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? 65 thousand dollar question Post 84892 by rhfrommn on Thursday 29th of September 2005 10:48:10 AM
Old 09-29-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud
Hi,

I can understand what you all mean, but I believe that MySQL has virtually no limits; so it would seem that any UNIX/Linux flavor hooked to MySQL should do pretty well also... yes? no?

What I'm curious about is what makes such an OS so special/expensive?
Is it more complex code, or more robust code, or just more code?
After all, code is code. It's just bits and bytes.

So what is the money actually buying for 65 G's ?

What you are getting is a more proven, tested, solid OS. Solaris and Oracle can simply do things that MySQL on Linux can not do. The commercial Unix varieties are offered by companies with hundreds of engineers with lots of experience building their OS. The free varieties don't have that. Therefore the commerical Unix vendors provide features free Unix doesn't have, for example Solaris has dtrace, and the next version will have ZFS for managing your filesystems. No version of Linux has tools comparable to those. And typically commercial releases are more stable due to much more work being put into the release (and more testing). Paying all those engineers to work on it full time means you get a lot more effort being put into it then relying on volunteers.

Also the point Neo made is very true. You are paying for support also when you buy that $65,000 OS. If my Solaris box crashes at 3 in the morning I can call Sun and if the support staff can't figure it out immediately they'll have a kernel engineer talking to me within an hour or two helping troubleshoot it. As an example of the kind of support you get, I remember one instance where our E10K (Sun's top of the line circa 2001) had a hardware problem. A Sun hardware engineer showed up at our office within 2 hours and he had about a quarter million dollars worth of spare parts couriered to us at the same time so that no matter what the problem turned out to be he could replace it without having to wait for parts to be delivered. You can't get anywhere near the level of support a commercial Unix vendor gives you with free versions. You can pay Redhat or another linux company for support if you want, but then you end up paying just as much. And to be honest, Sun, IBM or HP probably have more OS engineers than Redhat has total employees - which do you think will be better able to support critical systems when there are problems?

THAT is what you are paying for when you buy commerical Unix.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing thousand of carriage returns using sed

I need to replace thousands of carriage returns/line breaks in a large xml file and with spaces. I hope to do so with a script, called, for example, "removeCRs." I would invoke this at the command line as ml5003$ sed -f /Users/ml5003/removeCRs oldFile > newFile The script, I presume, would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ml5003
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting thousand of permissions

Hi, I would like to ask if someone could help me to shorten this process. If example i will have a thousand files and i want to get there permisions. pls help. $ sh researcher2.sh rm /home/aris/logs/logna rm a12 for i in `aclget /usr/bin/uname` do grep -e $i ownership | awk '{print $1}'... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate several thousand files in unix

Hello, I would like to concatenate several thousand files (~40,000) into 1. I cannot do it with cat *.extension - it gives me an error that there are too many arguments. Any suggestions? Thanks, Gussi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
6 Replies
zdb(8)							  System Administration Commands						    zdb(8)

NAME
zdb - ZFS debugger SYNOPSIS
zdb pool DESCRIPTION
The zdb command is used by support engineers to diagnose failures and gather statistics. Since the ZFS file system is always consistent on disk and is self-repairing, zdb should only be run under the direction by a support engineer. If no arguments are specified, zdb, performs basic consistency checks on the pool and associated datasets, and report any problems detected. Any options supported by this command are internal to Sun and subject to change at any time. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The pool is consistent. 1 An error was detected. 2 Invalid command line options were specified. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWzfsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
zfs(8), zpool(8), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 31 Oct 2005 zdb(8)