Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SImple HELP! how to combine two lines together using sed or awk.. Post 84823 by Ygor on Wednesday 28th of September 2005 11:21:14 PM
Old 09-29-2005
paste -s -d ' ' < file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed or grep or perl combine two lines

how do i search for the phrase "expected" on line one and "received" on line two. (there is a newline in between the two) I would like to know if/how this can be done in perl and/or grep and/or sed (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: artjaniger
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and combine lines in awk

Hi All, I have 1 "keyword" file like this: 00-1F-FB-00-04-18 00-19-CB-8E-66-DF 00-1F-FB-00-48-9C 00-1F-FB-00-AA-4F .... and the 2nd "details" file like this: Wed Feb 11 00:00:02 2009 NAS-IP-Address = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Class = "P1-SHT-AAA01;1233704662;4886720" ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xajax7
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple unique lines from event log text file into one line, use PERL or AWK?

I can't decide if I should use AWK or PERL after pouring over these forums for hours today I decided I'd post something and see if I couldn't get some advice. I've got a text file full of hundreds of events in this format: Record Number : 1 Records in Seq : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mayday22
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple awk match for multiple lines

Is there a simple way to use awk to match multiple lines?? Somehow using \n isn't working for me. Ultimately I'm trying to insert "WWW" 3 lines above "eee". input aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff output aaa bbb WWW ccc ddd eee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pxalpine
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Combine multiple lines based on number of fields

If a file has following kind of data, comma delimited 1,2,3,4 1 1 1,2,3,4 1,2 2 2,3,4 My required output must have only 4 columns with comma delimited 1,2,3,4 111,2,3,4 1,222,3,4 I have tried many awk command using ORS="" but couldnt progress (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdkm
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Seemingly simple sed, delete between matching lines

There are many matching blocks of text in one file that need to be deleted. This example below is one block that needs to be either deleted or replaced with an empty line. This text below is the input file. The ouput file should be empty Searching Checks. Based on search criteria name: Value :... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine matching lines in file

I am trying to combine all matching lines in the tab-delimited using awk. The below runs but no output results. Thank you :). input chrX 110925349 110925532 ALG13 chrX 110925349 110925532 ALG13 chrX 110925349 110925532 ALG13 chrX 47433390 47433999 SYN1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine lines if fields match in lines

In the awk below, what I am attempting to do is check each line in the tab-delimeted input, which has ~20 lines in it, for a keyword SVTYPE=Fusion. If the keyword is found I am splitting $3 using the . (dot) and reading the portion before and after the dot in an array a. If it does have that... (12 Replies)
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
4 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)