Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh/Linux: Variable scoping issue? Pl. help! Post 84785 by tmarikle on Wednesday 28th of September 2005 03:09:13 PM
Old 09-28-2005
Your "read" is occurring in a subshell and your variable is not visible to the parent.

There are several ways to work around this. Depending on the size of the data, I will use an array.
Code:
IFS='
'
set -A ARRAY $(< MY_DIR/user_accounts)
for i in ${ARRAY[@]}
do
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I can't stop the scoping problem (perl)

I hate to post something so n00bish, but I'm pretty n00bish when it comes to perl so here it goes: $var=1; while(1){ if ($var == 2){ last; } $var=2; } works the way I intend it to, breaking the infinite loop after the first time through, but: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell variable scoping

This may be a stupid question, but was wondering if it is possible to make a variable local to a particular script and invisible to an external script that may source the script where it is defined? Thanks as always (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensw
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Variable assignment issue Ksh script

Hi There, I am writing a ksh script which assigns variable values from file "A" and passes that variables to file "B". While passing the parameters an additional "$" sign is being assigned to awk -v option. Could any one help me with this please. #!/bin/ksh head -1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeevanm
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

-z in ksh issue

Hi, Can any body please tell me what does -z do in ksh? I need to understand what does below code do? FILE_LIST is an array which store multiple number of files... if } ]]; then echo "EVDO file not found fi I hope I'm clear on my query (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: annybase
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable to command to Variable Question KSH

Hello, First post for Newbie as I am stumped. I need to get certain elements for a specific PID from the ps command. I am attempting to pass the value for the PID I want to retrieve the information for as a variable. When the following is run without using a variable, setting a specific PID,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Coyote270WSM
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable value substitution issue with awk command issue

Hi All, I am using the below script which has awk command, but it is not returing the expected result. can some pls help me to correct the command. The below script sample.ksh should give the result if the value of last 4 digits in the variable NM matches with the variable value DAT. The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh while read issue

Hello, I have used a chunk of ksh script similar to this in many places without any issue: while : do print; read OPTION?"Enter a number (q to quit): " expr ${OPTION} + 1 >/dev/null 2>&1 CHECKVAL=$? if }" != ${OPTION} ]; then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: port43
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - variable to be set to windows path issue

Greetings Experts, I need to pass a parameter to ksh and the value is windows path eg: sh abc.txt C:\Users\chill3chee\Desktop No matter I try with \ delimiter, still could not get this exact value assigned to the shell variable which was checked with echo. Tried with using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - concatenate string - strange variable scoping

Hello, I am trying to concatenate a string in a bash script like this: runCmd="docker run -e \"IMAGE_NAME=$IMAGE_NAME\" " env | grep "$ENV_SUFFIX" | while read line; do envCmd="-e \"${line}\" " runCmd=$runCmd$envCmd echo $runCmd # here concatenation works fine done echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: czabak
3 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)