Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 65 thousand dollar question
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? 65 thousand dollar question Post 84752 by rhfrommn on Wednesday 28th of September 2005 11:29:09 AM
Old 09-28-2005
Commercial-grade unix is intended for companies to use for their critical business functions, not for hobbyists or home users. That is the context you need to be thinking of when you see those prices.

For example, at one of my previous jobs we ran a database for one of our clients. That database had details on over 10 million of their customers and hundreds of millions of rows of data. The needed access to it almost 24/7 with 100% uptime except for scheduled outages. It ran on a half-million dollar server and had terabytes of expensive EMC disk arrays behind it. Paying thousands of dollars for a stable, secure, high-availablity OS is not even an issue in a situation like that. The cost of the OS is a drop in the bucket compared to the hardware, software licensing (oracle in this case) and penalties we would have had to pay for not meeting service level agreements due to outages.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing thousand of carriage returns using sed

I need to replace thousands of carriage returns/line breaks in a large xml file and with spaces. I hope to do so with a script, called, for example, "removeCRs." I would invoke this at the command line as ml5003$ sed -f /Users/ml5003/removeCRs oldFile > newFile The script, I presume, would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ml5003
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting thousand of permissions

Hi, I would like to ask if someone could help me to shorten this process. If example i will have a thousand files and i want to get there permisions. pls help. $ sh researcher2.sh rm /home/aris/logs/logna rm a12 for i in `aclget /usr/bin/uname` do grep -e $i ownership | awk '{print $1}'... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate several thousand files in unix

Hello, I would like to concatenate several thousand files (~40,000) into 1. I cannot do it with cat *.extension - it gives me an error that there are too many arguments. Any suggestions? Thanks, Gussi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
6 Replies
db_printlog(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    db_printlog(8)

NAME
db_printlog - Displays database log file (Enhanced Security) SYNOPSIS
/usr/tcb/bin/db_printlog [-h home] FLAGS
Specify a home directory for the database. The correct directory for enhanced security is /var/tcb/files. DESCRIPTION
A customized version of the Berkeley Database (Berkeley DB) is embedded in the operating system to provide high-performance database sup- port for critical security files. The DB includes full transactional support and database recovery, using write-ahead logging and check- pointing to record changes. The db_printlog utility provides a way to view the log file associated with the security database. RETURN VALUES
The db_printlog utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
If the -h option is not specified and the environment variable DB_HOME is set, it is used as the path of the database home. The home directory for security is /var/tcb/files. FILES
/var/tcb/files/auth.db /var/tcb/files/dblogs/* RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: db_checkpoint(8), db_recover(8), db_stat(8) delim off db_printlog(8)