Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reversing and trim a String through SHELL script Post 84739 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 28th of September 2005 09:25:45 AM
Old 09-28-2005
to reverse a string - method I

Code:
str="program"
echo $str | awk '{
for(i=length($0);i>=1;i--)
printf("%s",substr($0,i,1));
}'

to reverse a string - method II

Code:
str="program"
i=${#str}
final=""

while [ $i -gt 0 ]
do
  rev=`echo $str | awk '{printf substr($0, '$i', 1)}'`
  final=$final$rev
  i=$(($i - 1))
done

echo "Reversed String: $final"

to reverse a line

Code:
str="this script is to reverse"
i=${#str}
word=""
fin=""
final=""

while [ $i -ge 0 ]
do
temp=`echo $str | awk '{printf substr($0, '$i', 1)}'`
  if [ \( "$temp" = " " \) -o $i -eq 0 ]
  then
     wordlen=${#word}
     while [ $wordlen -gt 0 ]
     do
        revtemp=`echo $word | awk '{printf substr($0, '$wordlen', 1)}'`
        fin=$fin$revtemp
        wordlen=$(($wordlen -1))
     done
     final=$final$fin" "
     fin=""
     word=""
     temp=""
  else
     word=$word$temp
  fi
i=$(($i - 1))
done

echo "Reversed line: $final"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

output string in reversing order

If I have string { I_love_shell_scripts} anyone knows how to have output {stpircs_llehs_evol_I} by using shell and perl ?I know in perl, there is reverse() funcation, but can it be done by not using reverse()? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccp
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading and reversing a string

Hi Everyone....I am new to Unix and BASH programming...I just want to read a string and reverse it and display.....can anyone help me out???? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhilneela
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in shell script to trim numeric values

Hello I am currently working on a shell script which actually needs to pull some file from a server , The filenames will have the extension with date/time stamp , i need to trim that and name it to proper format Example : xyz_20091108_22142365.gzip i need to remove the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranga27
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to trim a string in unix shell script

I am reading a string like $/folder1/folder2/filename from a file And I am storing it in a variable say $path. I want to store the path within single quotes in order to use the path within a command. if i set like path="'"$path"'" echo $path It is printing like ' $/folder1/folder2/filename'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shri123
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie Alert:Reversing part of a string?

Hello all, Wondering if anyone can help me out. Trying to cut the names out of the /etc/passwd file so that they can be displayed first then last name. I cut them out and put them into variables but cant get them to display side by side after cutting. Anyone able to help a newbie? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: losingit
1 Replies

7. Programming

Some error with number of keyboard inputs occured with this code for reversing a string..

i used a two-way linked list "node" for the code:: #include<stdio.h> #include<malloc.h> void insert(); void reverse(); struct node { char c; struct node *next; struct node *back; }*start=NULL; int main() { int n,i; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mscoder
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can i use trim in shell script ?

Hi, I am stuck at comparing a value from database with a space involved. Condition if (cust_code != "RAMK" && cust_code != "LML") { xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx } the cust_code is from a table and generally has 4 chars...so in the case of LML it comes with default space at the end. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkiran77
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

TRIM a string in shell script

HI, I have a string "NZ-deploy-mode-1.15-Linux.x86_64.rpm" I want to get the string before -1 ie "NZ-deploy-mode" Input is "NZ-deploy-mode-1.15-Linux.x86_64.rpm" expected output is "NZ-deploy-mode" How can I do that in shell script? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim String

Hi, I wish to grep everything before the last "/bin" in the following string /opt/app/bin/app1/jdk150_07/bin/IA64N/java Desired output: "/opt/app/bin/app1/jdk150_07" Kindly help ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
textutil::trim(3tcl)				    Text and string utilities, macro processing 			      textutil::trim(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
textutil::trim - Procedures to trim strings SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require textutil::trim ?0.7? ::textutil::trim::trim string ?regexp? ::textutil::trim::trimleft string ?regexp? ::textutil::trim::trimright string ?regexp? ::textutil::trim::trimPrefix string prefix ::textutil::trim::trimEmptyHeading string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The package textutil::trim provides commands that trim strings using arbitrary regular expressions. The complete set of procedures is described below. ::textutil::trim::trim string ?regexp? Remove in string any leading and trailing substring according to the regular expression regexp and return the result as a new string. This is done for all lines in the string, that is any substring between 2 newline chars, or between the beginning of the string and a newline, or between a newline and the end of the string, or, if the string contain no newline, between the beginning and the end of the string. The regular expression regexp defaults to "[ \t]+". ::textutil::trim::trimleft string ?regexp? Remove in string any leading substring according to the regular expression regexp and return the result as a new string. This apply on any line in the string, that is any substring between 2 newline chars, or between the beginning of the string and a newline, or between a newline and the end of the string, or, if the string contain no newline, between the beginning and the end of the string. The regular expression regexp defaults to "[ \t]+". ::textutil::trim::trimright string ?regexp? Remove in string any trailing substring according to the regular expression regexp and return the result as a new string. This apply on any line in the string, that is any substring between 2 newline chars, or between the beginning of the string and a newline, or between a newline and the end of the string, or, if the string contain no newline, between the beginning and the end of the string. The regular expression regexp defaults to "[ \t]+". ::textutil::trim::trimPrefix string prefix Removes the prefix from the beginning of string and returns the result. The string is left unchanged if it doesn't have prefix at its beginning. ::textutil::trim::trimEmptyHeading string Looks for empty lines (including lines consisting of only whitespace) at the beginning of the string and removes it. The modified string is returned as the result of the command. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category textutil of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
regexp(3tcl), split(3tcl), string(3tcl) KEYWORDS
prefix, regular expression, string, trimming CATEGORY
Text processing textutil 0.7 textutil::trim(3tcl)