Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trouble using substr function with Bourne shell script Post 84603 by Perderabo on Tuesday 27th of September 2005 12:53:13 PM
Old 09-27-2005
You commented out the right syntax and added the wrong syntax. You seemed to have picked up the awk syntax but you are not using awk.

Something like:

awk 'END { print substr(val,3,2) }' val=$YEAR < /dev/null

might work.

You use a modern shell anyway like bash or ksh. Why use Bourne?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bourne shell script need help please ?

i have this assignment.. and i mad this script but there is something wrong with it.. if anyone can tell me.. watz going on... i would appreciate it.. tHnX in advance.. count=1 val=$2 op=$1 ans=0 if then if then while do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dezithug
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bourne shell script

Hi all, Can somebody answer the following query Thanks, Srinivas A shell program that takes one or any number of file directory names as input; sorts the directories given as parameters jointly in the ascending or decending order of choice For EX : dips abc etc desc will sort the files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psrinivas
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bourne Shell Script

Hello, I'm throwing this out there as a novice to the Unix world...I've been working on a project that requires me to ouput (using the echo command) a list of names in a single column format, but the problem is the input is in row format followed by a blank space...If anyone could give me a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmhonor914
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd from a Bourne Shell Script - Please Help

Dear Bourne Shell Expert, I am trying to change the current working directory from within a Bourne Shell script. Simply enough i thought ! As I am sure you are well aware, Inside the script i echo `pwd` and it seems ok, but the shell spawns another shell to execute this and as such, when my... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fawqati
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

substr() thru awk Korn Shell Script

Hi, I am new stuff to learn substr() function through awk for writing the Korn shell script. Is there a way to copy from XXXX1234.ABCDEF to XXX1234 file names without changing both data files? I appreciate your time to response this email. Thanks, Steve (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbryant
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substr in shell script

hi, i am using the following script to get the last digit of YEAR OY=`expr substr $YEAR 2 1` it is showing syntax Is this wrong or i need to change anything I am running this in sun solaris unix (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjithin
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use substr to return data into a shell script variable?

I'm writing a shell script in which I need to be able to pull a portion of the file name out. I'm testing with the following code: x="O1164885.DAT" y=`ls -ltr *${x}|awk '{print substr($0,3)}'` echo ${x}|awk '{print substr($0,3)}' echo "y="$y I can echo it to the screen just fine but I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ttunell
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

substr from a string in Shell script

Shell Scripting Gurus, I am having a hard time :confused: trying to figure out what I am doing wrong in my script. Below is the script snippet. It gives an error when it tries to execute the expression. a=`expr substr $stringZ 5 10` #!/bin/bash echo "Hello" stringZ="abcABC123ABCabc"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yajaykumar
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with bourne shell script

Attempting to write a script to eventually notify me via email for when there is packetloss across the backbone. I am looking for values greater than 0% in the mtr field. #!/bin/sh target=www.google.com date +"%D"_"%T" >> /home/rich/mtr.log echo "----------------------------------------" >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: closedown
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with "exit" called from function in bourne script

Hi everyone. #!/sbin/sh EXITING() { umount /FOLDER rm -Rf /FOLDER echo "EXIT" exit 0 } EXITING echo "OK" (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vacadepollo
8 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timeing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), replay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux