Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trouble using substr function with Bourne shell script Post 84603 by Perderabo on Tuesday 27th of September 2005 12:53:13 PM
Old 09-27-2005
You commented out the right syntax and added the wrong syntax. You seemed to have picked up the awk syntax but you are not using awk.

Something like:

awk 'END { print substr(val,3,2) }' val=$YEAR < /dev/null

might work.

You use a modern shell anyway like bash or ksh. Why use Bourne?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bourne shell script need help please ?

i have this assignment.. and i mad this script but there is something wrong with it.. if anyone can tell me.. watz going on... i would appreciate it.. tHnX in advance.. count=1 val=$2 op=$1 ans=0 if then if then while do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dezithug
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bourne shell script

Hi all, Can somebody answer the following query Thanks, Srinivas A shell program that takes one or any number of file directory names as input; sorts the directories given as parameters jointly in the ascending or decending order of choice For EX : dips abc etc desc will sort the files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psrinivas
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bourne Shell Script

Hello, I'm throwing this out there as a novice to the Unix world...I've been working on a project that requires me to ouput (using the echo command) a list of names in a single column format, but the problem is the input is in row format followed by a blank space...If anyone could give me a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmhonor914
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd from a Bourne Shell Script - Please Help

Dear Bourne Shell Expert, I am trying to change the current working directory from within a Bourne Shell script. Simply enough i thought ! As I am sure you are well aware, Inside the script i echo `pwd` and it seems ok, but the shell spawns another shell to execute this and as such, when my... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fawqati
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

substr() thru awk Korn Shell Script

Hi, I am new stuff to learn substr() function through awk for writing the Korn shell script. Is there a way to copy from XXXX1234.ABCDEF to XXX1234 file names without changing both data files? I appreciate your time to response this email. Thanks, Steve (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbryant
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substr in shell script

hi, i am using the following script to get the last digit of YEAR OY=`expr substr $YEAR 2 1` it is showing syntax Is this wrong or i need to change anything I am running this in sun solaris unix (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjithin
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use substr to return data into a shell script variable?

I'm writing a shell script in which I need to be able to pull a portion of the file name out. I'm testing with the following code: x="O1164885.DAT" y=`ls -ltr *${x}|awk '{print substr($0,3)}'` echo ${x}|awk '{print substr($0,3)}' echo "y="$y I can echo it to the screen just fine but I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ttunell
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

substr from a string in Shell script

Shell Scripting Gurus, I am having a hard time :confused: trying to figure out what I am doing wrong in my script. Below is the script snippet. It gives an error when it tries to execute the expression. a=`expr substr $stringZ 5 10` #!/bin/bash echo "Hello" stringZ="abcABC123ABCabc"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yajaykumar
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with bourne shell script

Attempting to write a script to eventually notify me via email for when there is packetloss across the backbone. I am looking for values greater than 0% in the mtr field. #!/bin/sh target=www.google.com date +"%D"_"%T" >> /home/rich/mtr.log echo "----------------------------------------" >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: closedown
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with "exit" called from function in bourne script

Hi everyone. #!/sbin/sh EXITING() { umount /FOLDER rm -Rf /FOLDER echo "EXIT" exit 0 } EXITING echo "OK" (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vacadepollo
8 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)