Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to add a comment line in a text file Post 84220 by orakhan on Thursday 22nd of September 2005 08:23:17 PM
Old 09-22-2005
No Updates Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add text to file at a certain line

I am trying to add a line of text just before the last line in a file. For example, if the last line of a file is "exit 0", I need to add a line of text just before that. Any ideas how I might do that? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheCrunge
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment text in a file

Hello folks Hope all are fine, I have query need suggestion, if these lines two lines are already commeted no need to do anything, one more thing order of alpha, gama may be different. I have a two lines in a file data.txt %checksum alpha gama beta penta hexa I want to do... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to replace a text of line with a comment line

I want to replace this line : "test compare visible] true" and make it "#test compare visible] true". How can I do it ? And it should be checked in many sub folder files also. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.b
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add ; to every line in text file

Please help to add ; to every line in a text file i Have tired sed 's/$/ ; /g' > /tmp/drop_tables.sql but not working :( Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluebird5m
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed add after line x new text from file

I've been playing with sed, trying to get it to insert the contents of somefile.txt after line 13 on anotherfile.txt. I tried searching for a line with regex and attempting to insert something on the next line with: find ./anotherfile.txt -type f -exec sed -i -e '/^dog/cat/' {} \; but it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

add line and remove comment in some script

Hi, i need some help. i am not sure about my idea. I have a script directory under my home directory,which has a lot of scripts in it. These are some names of the scripts in /axxhome/prdv/script aly300.sh axt300.sh arv300.sh clp300.sh ctth300.sh aly400.sh axt400.sh arv400.sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu000
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add text into the last line of text file

I need help with insert text to the last line of text file with echo command I know can do something like echo "i4\n$logtext\n.\nwq" | ex -s $file can insert to first line, but how can i change this code in order to insert to the last line of text file? please help, thank you :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavin_L
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to comment a specific line of a file?

Hi, I need to comment out (insert # in the front of a line) a line that has entry Defaults requiretty using command-line as I need to do this on hundreds of servers. From Defaults requiretty To #Defaults requiretty I tried something like below but no luck: Please advise,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add comment on last line if found match

Hi All, totally new on it , normally use it for just 1 line. i'm looking for help. i'm have 2 file. file 1 : -------------------------------------------------- c12 c1 c3 -------------------------------------------------- file 2: other content ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kttan
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to comment a specific line of a file in Solaris 10?

Hi Folks, sed -i '3s/^/#/' abc.txt is commenting the line number 3 in LINUX Not Working in Solaris 10 or higher sed -i sed -i '3s/^/#/' abc.txt sed: illegal option -- i i have a file as below cat abc.txt bc vdv shhsd cdc skdk Please advise (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhaydas
15 Replies