Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to create users on many servers Post 84205 by dnidiffer on Thursday 22nd of September 2005 04:04:27 PM
Old 09-22-2005
script to create users on many servers

Hi all, working on script to create a user acct on all our servers.

for i in `cat $host_file`; do
ssh $i /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/mkuser id='bpadm' gecos='NetBackup Admin' 2>&1 >> $log
done

error i get is: 3004-692 Error changing "id" to "bpadm" : Value is invalid.

I have tried this in various ways, various quotes, tried on the cmd line on the target server. tried it without id= part.

I am just trying to create the user name and a value for gecos.
Server is AIX 5.X, shell is Korn.

thanks, dave

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

interactive shell script to create users 10.4

Hello everyone, Not sure if this is the right place, but OS X isn't your standard Unix, so I figured here would be best. I am looking at creating a script that will be interactive that admins can run to create users. Now, 10.4 uses netinfo database and netinfo manager to handle it's users. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help to create script for added date to list users

hi my friends im asking for the possibility to creat a script in ubuntu for added date to list users for doing this : - search in debug connected user of all connected users - if a new user is connect for the first time to my server the script record the date of the connection and added it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amzioujda
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create new users in DMZ box using script

I remote to many DMZ boxes every day to run batch file that allows me to create users. I create users in 17 DMZ boxes every day which takes a lot of my time. Is there any script that would do this job from my local computer? Thank you for your help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: idiazza
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wants to create 3 users in 400 servers

I wants to create 3 users and set password for the users in 400 servers. I can run this script without error. If wants to set the password in the same command it is not working. Like that i have to create 3 users #!/usr/bin/ksh for server in `cat /tmp/servers` do echo "servername =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: G0kulakrishnan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script to create users from database query

#!/bin/bash user=`mysql userList -uuserlist -puserlistpassword -s -N -e "SELECT userName FROM users WHERE activated='n'"` for i in $user; do useradd "$i" -m doneThis is what I have done so far. But obviously it still does not work. I'm trying to create users based on information stored in a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucketuk
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create users from a text file by script

Hi All, I am new to scripting, i want to create one script in which i can add users from a text file, assign them a default password like 123456. It should be like: Username= $i (it should take users from text file one by one) Password : 123456(default for every user) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prad_rocxx
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to filter users and create them again from a back-up server

This is a script to filter the users out of etc/passwd and etc/group. So if you want to migrate of restore a server you can use this script from a backup to restore and make the same users on you had.. Please feedback and comments. #!/bin/bash prompt_list () { # haal uit de argumenten de... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dannyvdberg
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to add new users to a group on multiple servers using SSH

Hi Experts, I am new to scripting. We have around 400 Linux servers in our environment. I want to add a new user to a perticular group on all the servers using SSH. Requirements: 1) Need to take the server names from a text file. 2) Login into each server and check whether perticular... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satya1983
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete users in the servers

Hi Team, Hope you are doing good.I am new to scripting.I have a requirement of deleting around 10 users in 100 servers.It is very time consuming by logging into each servers and delete the user.Here I have redhat 6 ,Suse linux 10&11 environment servers. In one set of servers I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read through a file and create new users/assign them to groups in Ubuntu

Hi all. I need a shell script that can, in short, read through a text file line by line and create a new user in Ubuntu, as well as assign that user to a group. The format of the text file is not important but preferably: 'username:group'. I don't have much programming knowledge no matter shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LewisWeekly
3 Replies
SVNWRAP(1)						      General Commands Manual							SVNWRAP(1)

NAME
svnwrap - Umask wrapper for subversion client commands SYNOPSIS
svnwrap {program} [args...] DESCRIPTION
svnwrap is a simple shell script to work around permission problems when sharing Subversion repositories between multiple local users. svnwrap can be used either by specifying a particular subversion client command on the command line, or by invoking it by the same name as the desired client command, via a symlink. svnwrap sets the umask to 002, then launches the appropriate subversion client command. For complicated reasons, this is needed when using the clients with BDB-format repositories, but not for FSFS-format ones. EXAMPLES
To create a new BDB-format shared repository (note that FSFS-format shared repositories should also be created this way): svnwrap svnadmin create --fs-type=bdb /path/to/repo chgrp -R shared_group /path/to/repo The following line in /etc/inetd.conf can be used to serve svn:// URLs: svn stream tcp nowait my_svn_user /usr/bin/svnwrap svnserve svnserve -i -r /srv/svn The following commands enable use of svnwrap for local file:/// and remote svn+ssh:// URLs: ln -s /usr/bin/svnwrap /usr/local/bin/svn ln -s /usr/bin/svnwrap /usr/local/bin/svnserve svn is used for local file:/// URLs, and svnserve is invoked by remote users of svn+ssh:// URLs. BUGS
If you symlink the svn binary to svnwrap, as shown in one of the examples, all local users' working copies will also use the new umask. Be sure to warn your users about this, as security-related surprises are rarely pleasant. SEE ALSO
svnserve(8), svn(1), svnlook(1). AUTHOR
svnwrap and this manual were written by Peter Samuelson for the Debian Project (but may be used by others). 2006-04-21 SVNWRAP(1)