Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tracing an e-mail address
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Tracing an e-mail address Post 84193 by denverd0n on Thursday 22nd of September 2005 12:30:54 PM
Old 09-22-2005
Tracing an e-mail address

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I thought I'd start here. Not really a Unix question, but I'm hoping the gurus here can help me in an area I know little about.

Someone got one of my credit card numbers. Tried to use it to charge a bunch of stuff over the internet. The company called me to confirm the order, because they thought something about it was suspicious. They gave me the e-mail address of the person who tried to use my card number.

My question is, what can I find out from the e-mail address? Is there a way to trace it back to the thief? Or at least to find out who his ISP is? Anything? Some website somewhere that would explain this kind of stuff?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Sending Error msg from HP-UX to E-mail address

Sometimes, for any reason, the UX System sends messages to /var/mail/root and/or to Error Log of the guardian. I'll appreciating if you help me to configure so that those messages are also sent to the System Administrator's e-mail address. Regards Gege (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cgege
1 Replies

2. AIX

Change sender e-mail address

When sending emails to the outside world, aix present itself as d_prod@production1.pdc.itercom.org. This is causing some issue with our e-mail server. So we need to change the name to d_prod@itercom.org... Does any one know how this can be accomplished? Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cchiang12
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pull E-mail address from file, send e-mail

Hello, I am new to perl and need to create a script that will read a file and pull a name from the file and send e-mail. How can I use the following awk statement in a perl script? grep UNIXadmins /root/mail.conf | awk '{ print $2}' and use the output to send a e-mail. Any help would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DC Heard
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

send mail file from server to another address

HP-UX B11.23 ia64 I have a users mail inbox in /var/mail I want to send all the mail there to another address (an Exchange address). At the Exchange address, I want it to appear as the original separate emails, with attachments in their original form (e.g. still MIME encoded). Is that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LisaS
6 Replies

5. IP Networking

Tracing a MAC address to IP address: Solaris

Hi there I lost connectivity to one of our remote systems and when I checked the messages log I found the following: Aug 10 23:42:34 host xntpd: time reset (step) 1.681729 s Aug 16 13:20:51 host ip: WARNING: node "mac address" is using our IP address x.x.x.x on aggr1 Aug 16 13:20:51 host... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail with From Address

hello all When i send an email using "mail" command, it is received by intended receiver but From Adress is getting displayed as user@hostname. Is there any way to change the From address of Email to xxx@bbb.com? Apprecite your response (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forums123456
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail using mail address in a file

I have a file which contains few email address. I have few scripts which use the same mail address. so if any change in mail id like if any user do not want to receive the mail i can just edit a single file instead of many scripts. So i want the scripts to use that file. How can this be done. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpk_newbie
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX mail blank in the TO address

Hi All, Can we send a mail in unix blank in TO address with CC and BCC. TO address should be blank CC should not be blank BCC should not be blank thanks, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranparsha
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to send mail with sender mail address and name?

Hi, I am trying to send a mail using "mail" command in unix. I wanted to give sender name and sender address. I tried different options ,but still it shows only mail address(No name). mail -s "Alert mail : Nothing running !!!" $email -- -F"Mail Alert" -fno-reply@alert.com But I am getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaggy
4 Replies
TALK(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TALK(1)

NAME
talk - talk to another user SYNOPSIS
talk person [ ttyname ] DESCRIPTION
Talk is a visual communication program which copies lines from your terminal to that of another user. If you wish to talk to someone on you own machine, then person is just the person's login name. If you wish to talk to a user on another host, then person is of the form : host!user or host.user or host:user or user@host though host@user is perhaps preferred. If you want to talk to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name. When first called, it sends the message Message from TalkDaemon@his_machine... talk: connection requested by your_name@your_machine. talk: respond with: talk your_name@your_machine to the user you wish to talk to. At this point, the recipient of the message should reply by typing talk your_name@your_machine It doesn't matter from which machine the recipient replies, as long as his login-name is the same. Once communication is established, the two parties may type simultaneously, with their output appearing in separate windows. Typing control L will cause the screen to be reprinted, while your erase, kill, and word kill characters will work in talk as normal. To exit, just type your interrupt character; talk then moves the cursor to the bottom of the screen and restores the terminal. Permission to talk may be denied or granted by use of the mesg command. At the outset talking is allowed. Certain commands, in particular nroff and pr(1) disallow messages in order to prevent messy output. FILES
/etc/hosts to find the recipient's machine /var/run/utmp to find the recipient's tty SEE ALSO
mesg(1), who(1), mail(1), write(1) BUGS
The version of talk(1) released with 4.3BSD uses a protocol that is incompatible with the protocol used in the version released with 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution November 27, 1996 TALK(1)