Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris X-SERVER will not display on Solaris 8 Post 84071 by annointed3 on Wednesday 21st of September 2005 03:22:21 PM
Old 09-21-2005
X-SERVER will not display on Solaris 8

Hi,

I just installed Solaris 8 (x86) on a PC and I cannot get the X-Server configured:

Below is a copy of Xerrors:
X_mkdir: No such file or directory
X_mkdir: No such file or directory
There is no XDISPLAY information for display 0.
Check the OWconfig file(s) and try again.

Fatal server error:
The server will now exit because of configuration problems.

Wed Sep 21 14:36:14 2005
error (pid 296): Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly 1

Fatal server error:

error (pid 296): Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly 1

Fatal server error:

error (pid 296): Server unexpectedly died

Wed Sep 21 14:36:19 2005
error (pid 296): Server for display :0 can't be started.

I have not worked with Solaris in many years, so I'm sort of a newbie. Right now I can only use the command line, GUI will not come up. Please help!!!!
Thanks in advance!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display the timestamp of a server UNIX

I can't find the command shell UNIX to display the timestamp of the current date. It's not an option of the commande date. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicolas
3 Replies

2. Solaris

display wwpn on Solaris 2.6

Does anyone know how to find the wwpn? I have 2 dual-port hba card, having hard time finding wwpn through command lines. prtpicl isnt available - what are other commands to try? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiem
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

need graphical display of Hp server

Hi all, i need graphical display of my Hp server to install oracle software.i connected it through telnet.can we connect from windows client to Hp server through remote desktop connection.please guide.i try a lot to get it. thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: younusdba
1 Replies

4. Solaris

X-Server cannot be started on display 0

Iam using a Dell laptop..... i installed Solaris 10.... 'm getting a X-Server cannot be started on display 0 error. Can anyone help me in fixing ??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathnag25
2 Replies

5. Solaris

The X-Server can not be started on display :0

Hey Guys, I have just moved my machine to a new location and reconfigured my DNS and ip... and for an unknown reason I get this X-Server can not be started error on startup. This is what I got in my Xerrors log: It is possible to start a graphical session (X-Server) manually, ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wasabihowdi
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 10 - DISPLAY

Hello Im having problems on re-directing the graphics from my Solaris to my PC. I can connect using reflections and get to the Solaris desktop, however, when I login and set the DISPLAY, I cannot get the screen to my PC. I run the below as root DISPLAY=192.168.0.7:0.0 ; export DISPLAY... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deedaz
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display a message if the server is prompting

Hello i have to perform a sftp from server "A" to server "B"(remote server). when i execute the sftp command it prompts for password. right now we haven't establish the ssh key exchange so we have to dispaly a error message if it prompts for password. how can i perform it please help (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: urfrnddpk
0 Replies

8. Fedora

VNC Client/Server has different display

Hi, I set-up my VNC Server on a Fedora 13 and I have a client on windows. I can access the Fedora PC but when I move the mouse and click on folders, I do not see the Fedora Desktop updating (I don't see the things that I am doing in my client on the Fedora PC) Then, when I do something on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
0 Replies

9. Solaris

X-Server can not be started on display 0

hi , I have install Oracle solaris 10 8/11 on intel core i5 server. But its not opening in graphic mode showing message X-Server can not be started on display ... (EE) Unable to locate/open config file Drivers to try are: "intel" "i810" "fbdev" "vesa" vga" (EE) failed to load module "dri"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeeshan047
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

X-Server can not be started on display :0

Good Morning, I recently cloned a sunblade 2500 to another sunblade 2500 and had an issue getting the GUI: X-Server can not be started on display :0 The issue was that the first machine had an xvr600 graphics card, and the new machine had an xvr100. Installing a new driver took... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
0 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)