Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Migrating all users from one linux server to another... Post 8394 by vancouver_joe on Wednesday 10th of October 2001 11:01:27 PM
Old 10-11-2001
Migrating all users from one linux server to another...

Hello,

I've been tasked with migrating users from one linux server to another new linux server. This is how I was thinking of doing it:

1.) Open up an NFS connection between the two servers, cp -Rp /home/ to the new server and then append the old /etc/group & /etc/passwd to the existing files on the new server.

2.) I'll double check to see that no UID or GID will conflict, if so I'll deal with those problems on a one on one basis.

However, my problem is that many of my users are running httpd in their home directories, so when I migrate their accounts over, their daemons won't work. So, how do I fix this without having to re-install & configure 75 apaches? Is there a script out there that I don't know about. Have any of you done this before, and if substantially different or better than what I'm advocating, please advise.

Thanks.

VJ

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

Migrating password file to new freebsd server

I need to migrate an existing master.passwd file to new FreeBsd Unix Box. I will moving from 4.1 to 6.1. I already have the home directories copied over. Once I copy over the masterpasswd file what do I need to do to make the system use the new master.passwd file? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbizzell
0 Replies

2. AIX

Migrating AIX users to Linux

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone out there knew if it was possible to migrate users from AIX to Linux. What we want to do is install OpenLDAP on a Linux machine and port all the users over to LDAP. I've googled around and could only find a few things, such as mrgpwd - but that only comes... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: djcronos
0 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Migrating from Unix to Linux

Is there a way to migrate username password from Freebsd 6.1 to Linux Ubuntu 8.04. I am using the server as a email server running postfix and using imap. Is there a way to transfer the usernames and password. I have transferred all the Maildirs but I am getting uid errors and gid errors even after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbizzell
2 Replies

4. AIX

Migrating a NIM Server to AIX 6.1

Guys, We are planning to upgrade one of our NIM server to AIX 6.1 from 5.3... Since the server itself is a NIM Server we can't perform it via NIM & I'm choosing to do CD install.. The Install method would be Upgrade installation. Is there anything special that I need to consider before... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkeng808
5 Replies

5. AIX

Migrating RHEL 5 UNIX users to AIX

Hi, I'm able to migrate UNIX users/groups from Solaris to AIX (with same password using 13-char encrypted password from shadow file) but no luck with RHEL 5 to AIX. I see encrypted password in RHEL 5 is bit lengthier than 13-char. Is there any way to convert encrypted password such that same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reddyr
1 Replies

6. Linux

Migrating RCS from HP-UX to Linux

Hello all, We would be migrating from HP-UX 11 to Red Hat Linux 5 shortly. On HP-UX we've been using RCS (Revision Control system). On RHEL I think there is an equivilant utility called Subversion..Is there a way to export the current contents from RCS in HP-UX and import it into Linux's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
2 Replies

7. Linux

Migrating to new server

Hi I configured a full blown Suse Linux server with FTP (VSFTP) server (98 users), Samba as well as secure Ftp on Suse Linux 10 SP4. I need to transfer the whole system to a NEW server that I configured with Ver 11.4 What files need to be backed up and restored to the new server keeping the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tony.Marshall
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Logged in users on a Linux server are counted twice

Scenario: 1. Log into a linux server interface as root. 2. Inititiate an SSH session with the server using Putty and a valid user account (e.g. fakeuser). 3. Log into TTY2 of the linux server interface using another valid user account (e.g. faketester). Issue: With these three login... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walterthered
1 Replies

9. Linux

Logged in users on a Linux server are counted twice

Scenario: Log into a linux server interface as root. Inititiate an SSH session with the server using Putty and a valid user account (e.g. fakeuser). Log into TTY2 of the linux server interface using another valid user account (e.g. faketester). Issue: With these three login sessions,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: walterthered
8 Replies