Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Verifying sting format in bash Post 83652 by 98_1LE on Friday 16th of September 2005 11:53:30 PM
Old 09-17-2005
Verifying sting format in bash

Hello,
This one has me stumped, although I suspect it might be easy. I have a file and need to split the entries into two varaibles. The format for a positive is 'AANNNN' where A is alpha and N is numeric.

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash date format

hi guys. in bash is there any other way of limiting the time displayed to HH:MM appart from (date +"%H:%M") and (date +"%R")? i want to input time into a database in the form HH:MM have tried NOW() but this gives me HH:MM:SS thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vadharah
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting value from a sting using perl

Hi Experts, I want to extract the value of SESSIONID AND USERID from the this string using perl. XML Request },&quot;USER_PREF&quot;:{&quot;sys_lang&quot;:&quot;en-us&quot;,&quot;timezone&quot;:&quot;480&quot;,&quot;user_lang&quot;:&quot;en-us&quot;}}}</DEVICESIG></POLICYREQ>] The answer should be SessionID=1:3133050 and USERID=01451651 Please advise how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign a sting to a name?

i want to assign a anme for a string, i got the things below, but it doesn't work. MParc1=`` if then $MPrac1=`Prac1` # assign $MPrac1 to Prac1 else $MPrac1=`` #assigne $MPrac1 to nothing fi echo "${MPrac1} >>file Output: (if num is 0) Prac1 can you please... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingming88
6 Replies

4. Programming

Java sting up path problem

Hi java programmers I'm a newbee to the Java. Could please help me to set the path correctly. I'm getting the following error. ----jGRASP exec: javac -g C:\Documents and Settings\bogugk\Desktop\HelloWorldApp.java ----jGRASP wedge2 error: command "javac" not found. ---- This command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: repinementer
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep sting (*) ?

Hi all, I am trying to grep something from log file. For example. i need to grep sting = "*834*1" My LOG 2010-05-05 09:27:57,649|3|ABCD834|192.168.38.72|2365|444850623031|0|8|-|0|*834*1*1499413*00853662524#|470540.7219101273026475158 2010-05-05... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to format a number in bash

Say I have a number x=123, but I want to it be x=000123, because I need to use it in as a file name. thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aerosols
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a string in another sting

Hi Experts, I need to insert a sting into another string at a specified position. Like the below. Regards, Tin-Tin (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinufarid
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace sting in a file

Hi Gurus, I need to search and replace string <! in a file with a blank. Some how my command sed -i 's/\<\!\ is not working .. Kindly help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a string in group of sting

Hi, 1. I want to remove the line which contains "SUBPARTITION", but the condition is if line has ends with ")," replace with , else delete the line I was trying with the sed command i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavemani
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to search for sting in lines and then email.

I'm trying to use awk in a script to search for a string number in a plist file. basically its a plist that records the bandwidth usage, and if the number is greater than 3GB which is equals 3221225472 bytes, it will send me an alert by email. here is the file: =<?xml version="1.0"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivaldiz
4 Replies
ximtoppm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ximtoppm(1)

NAME
ximtoppm - convert an Xim file into a portable pixmap SYNOPSIS
ximtoppm [--alphaout={alpha-filename,-}] [ximfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads an Xim file as input. Produces a portable pixmap as output. The Xim toolkit is included in the contrib tree of the X.V11R4 release. OPTIONS
--alphaout=alpha-filename ximtoppm creates a PGM (portable graymap) file containing the alpha channel values in the input image. If the input image doesn't contain an alpha channel, the alpha-filename file contains all zero (transparent) alpha values. If you don't specify --alphaout, ximtoppm does not generate an alpha file, and if the input image has an alpha channel, ximtoppm simply discards it. If you specify - as the filename, ximtoppm writes the alpha output to Standard Output and discards the image. Actually, an Xim image can contain an arbitrary fourth channel -- it need not be an Alpha channel. ximtoppm extracts any fourth channel it finds as described above; it doesn't matter if it is an alpha channel or not. See pnmcomp(1) for one way to use the alpha output file. All options can be abbreviated to their shortest unique prefix. SEE ALSO
pnmcomp(1), ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Jef Poskanzer. April 2, 2000 ximtoppm(1)