Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming time_t data type-- what does start +1 mean? Post 83521 by Perderabo on Thursday 15th of September 2005 01:57:58 PM
Old 09-15-2005
I don't see a problem with the code that posted, but I would try a different variable name than "end" just to be sure. "end" is very special on most systems. Try "man end", you probably have a man page on it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

trouble handling time_t and struct tm

--- (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: runawayNinja
6 Replies

2. Programming

FILE data type

Hi all, Can anyone tell me a little about the datatype FILE, which represents stream. What does its structure look like, and in which header file is it defined and so on... Ex : FILE *fp ; fp = fopen("filename", "w") ; (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
6 Replies

3. Programming

data type limitation

I am writing some code to do analysis on the file system (HP-UX 11.11). I am using stat(..) to get file information. My problem is that the file-size may exceed the data types defined in 'sys/stat.h' & 'sys/types.h' respectively. Thus file-sizes in the Giga-byte range are not read correctly.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ALTRUNVRSOFLN
2 Replies

4. AIX

Value too large to be stored in data type???

Hello, I get this message : "Value too large to be stored in data type" when I try to open a 3Gb file. Can someone helps me to resolve the problem. Thank you very much (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: limame
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl data type checking

I am using perl 5.8.0. I need to check some values to see it they are floats. Our system does not have Data::Types so I can't use is_float. Is there something else that I can use? The only thing in Data is Dump.pm. I am not allowed to download anything to our system so I have to use what I have.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajgwin
3 Replies

6. Web Development

Data type to use for prices with commas

Hi everybody, I`m very new with PHP and Databases and I having the follow issue with prices data.. The original information is in CSV files. The prices have formatted with commas and dots as follow: 12,300.99 -->(thousands separated by commas) 3,500.25 -->(thousands separated... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
10 Replies

7. Programming

help with data type sizes

i'm using a C program and running it on a linux server, i got 2 adressess of 2 variables, and 2 addresses of 2 chars, and compared it. and got the size of a int and the size of a char. why is a size of a int (4 bytes) bigger then the size of a char (1 byte)? also if i do &a-&b i get 1, but if i... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
30 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in?

I've been using various versions of UNIX and Linux since 1993, and I've never run across one that showed your password as you type it in when you log in, or one that stored passwords in plain text rather than encrypted. I'm writing a script for work for a security audit, and two of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
5 Replies

9. AIX

AIX and Value too large to be stored in data type.

root@test8:/config1>oslevel -s 5300-01-00-0000 root@test8:/config1>oslevel -r 5300-01 while moving a file sized 9GB i got this message root@test8:/configapp>mv bkp_14JUN16_oraapp_2.tgz /oraapp bkp_14JUN16_oraapp_2.tgz: Value too large to be stored in data type. possibly need APAR... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

10. Programming

Incompatible data type fpos_t in C

This is from a program I wrote over in 1998 that I am trying to compile on a linux machine: void write_line (FILE *fp, int rec_no, line_rec *arec) { fpos_t woffset; woffset = (rec_no - 1) * sizeof(line_rec); fsetpos(fp,&woffset); fwrite(arec,sizeof(line_rec),1,fp); }On the line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
2 Replies
END(3)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    END(3)

NAME
etext, edata, end - end of program segments SYNOPSIS
extern etext; extern edata; extern end; DESCRIPTION
The addresses of these symbols indicate the end of various program segments: etext This is the first address past the end of the text segment (the program code). edata This is the first address past the end of the initialized data segment. end This is the first address past the end of the uninitialized data segment (also known as the BSS segment). CONFORMING TO
Although these symbols have long been provided on most UNIX systems, they are not standardized; use with caution. NOTES
The program must explicitly declare these symbols; they are not defined in any header file. On some systems the names of these symbols are preceded by underscores, thus: _etext, _edata, and _end. These symbols are also defined for programs compiled on Linux. At the start of program execution, the program break will be somewhere near &end (perhaps at the start of the following page). However, the break will change as memory is allocated via brk(2) or malloc(3). Use sbrk(2) with an argument of zero to find the current value of the program break. EXAMPLE
When run, the program below produces output such as the following: $ ./a.out First address past: program text (etext) 0x8048568 initialized data (edata) 0x804a01c uninitialized data (end) 0x804a024 Program source #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> extern char etext, edata, end; /* The symbols must have some type, or "gcc -Wall" complains */ int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { printf("First address past: "); printf(" program text (etext) %10p ", &etext); printf(" initialized data (edata) %10p ", &edata); printf(" uninitialized data (end) %10p ", &end); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
objdump(1), readelf(1), sbrk(2), elf(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2017-09-15 END(3)