Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UID problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UID problem Post 8343 by Perderabo on Wednesday 10th of October 2001 10:12:09 AM
Old 10-10-2001
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisFoxx

Flavor = TurboLinux 6.0 Server Lite (comes up in env as "Linux-Gnu")

Created the accounts by "useradd", then passwd <uid>.

They used to work!

Oh, and I forgot: When I try to log those accounts in, it gets a message that says the system is going down last September 30th.

>>>>>>>>>>Chris
I don't have access to a Linux system so I can't check anything. But that last paragraph gives me an idea.

On some systems (but not all), the shutdown command creates a file, often called /etc/nologin. The login program checks for the existence of this file and refuses no-root logins if it exists. This is so users cannot login just as the system is going down. If the file exists, it is displayed as the error message. Even if the login program itself doesn't do this, it can also be implemened in global shell scripts like /etc/profile.

I'll bet that /etc/nologin (or its linux equivalent) exists. If so, remove the file. But that file should have been removed somewhere in the start-up script at reboot time. So there is probably a problem there which will need to be investigated. Can anyone see if linux uses /etc/nologin?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

UID Change

Currently, I have about 7 servers and the uid for a given person is different on each server. I want to make the uid's the same for a given username on each server. I know how to change the uid via smit, but when I do the previous uid number shows up as the owner for the files of that username.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcateriny
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reversing UID's

Is it possible given a uid to determine information about the person with the uid? An example would be simple information regarding what group and the name of the person associated with that uid. It seems there is probably an easy staring me in the face but i cant seem to find it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreaming1
3 Replies

3. AIX

UID not to be reused

Hello I want to find out how I can make sure in AIX that the UIDs cannot be reused Until after 6 Months after the user has left. Thanks, Noori (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: noori
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking uid

How do i go about getting the uid of the user and verify ? if then echo "You are not a superuser, please login as a superuser" exit1; fi the above code doesn't work. can some guru please help me. 1. how to get the uid of the user ? i know by typing id but how to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filthymonk
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

uid script help

i need a script to process a password file and based on the UIDs in the password file, generate the new UID that is 1 greater than the highest uid. i have some script logic but i dont really understand it. any help? #!/usr/bin/perl ########################################## #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire06
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UId

is tty command opens a process in the system if yes then why process got the userid????? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mac91
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Duplicated UID

Hi folks! I need you help to discover what's the impact of a duplicated UID in an operating system. What's the meaning when someone put in different users the same UID? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phcostabh
3 Replies

8. AIX

More than 1 UID 0

Hi, Can any one please tell what are the risks of having more than one users having UID 0 (root)? Thanks Naveed (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveedaix
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Changing uid value

Hi, I want to change user id gefadm ,uid=0(root) gid=0(root) to uid=16649(isaadmin) gid=16284(dstage), how can i change this uid ,gid one value to another value. Please provide the steps how can i change , uid=0(root) gid=0(root) to uid=16649(isaadmin) gid=16284(dstage). Thanks in advance for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhardwh
2 Replies

10. Solaris

UID Admin

Hi All, I have to give permission to one of the groups called as "ABC" as like the permissions of the group "UNIXADM". Could you please some one help on this issue ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramareddi16
3 Replies
PAM_NOLOGIN(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						    PAM_NOLOGIN(8)

NAME
pam_nologin - Prevent non-root users from login SYNOPSIS
pam_nologin.so [file=/path/nologin] [successok] DESCRIPTION
pam_nologin is a PAM module that prevents users from logging into the system when /var/run/nologin or /etc/nologin exists. The contents of the file are displayed to the user. The pam_nologin module has no effect on the root user's ability to log in. OPTIONS
file=/path/nologin Use this file instead the default /var/run/nologin or /etc/nologin. successok Return PAM_SUCCESS if no file exists, the default is PAM_IGNORE. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
The auth and acct module types are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_AUTH_ERR The user is not root and /etc/nologin exists, so the user is not permitted to log in. PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_IGNORE This is the default return value. PAM_SUCCESS Success: either the user is root or the nologin file does not exist. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known to the underlying authentication module. EXAMPLES
The suggested usage for /etc/pam.d/login is: auth required pam_nologin.so NOTES
In order to make this module effective, all login methods should be secured by it. It should be used as a required method listed before any sufficient methods in order to get standard Unix nologin semantics. Note, the use of successok module argument causes the module to return PAM_SUCCESS and as such would break such a configuration - failing sufficient modules would lead to a successful login because the nologin module succeeded. SEE ALSO
nologin(5), pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_nologin was written by Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@redhat.com>. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_NOLOGIN(8)