Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can I read files from the floppy in RedHat7.1 Post 8319 by LivinFree on Wednesday 10th of October 2001 12:28:50 AM
Old 10-10-2001
Ooh, one more thing, since the file was written in msdos format, it may very well have <cr> characters on the end of each line. Many modern editors will simply ignore these, but the shell may not like it. Try the dos2unix command to "fix" the file.
man dos2unix

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SFR Files on floppy tobe access in windows

I have here a UnixSlackware 2.01 disk that contains a so called SFR files, i want to open it on windows system since i dont have a unix system, is it posible ??? i tried to install WIPRO UWIN (korn shell) on my windows system but i cant access the floppydisk... so is there a posible solution... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mharck29
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i access (mount, read & write) a floppy disk from the console, not being root?

welll, the title quite explains what i want to do thanks for your time! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfaday
4 Replies

3. SCO

Read a SCO floppy disk under another OS...

I have formatted a floppy disk under SCO unix. Is there a way I could read this disk under another operating system e.g. Windows or Linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sgertsos
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Can't read floppy and cdrom in single user mode

I am having trouble reading floppy and crom in single user mode. running volcheck doesn't do anything I am using Solaris -10 on Sun blade 150. Has anybody seen this problem .. or do I have to manually mount the cdrom ...and floppy ??? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajnabi
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regarding floppy

Regarding floppy drive .. I need a command or a method by which i can detect a floppy drive is present or not ? Thanks, Priya. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyam
4 Replies

6. SCO

Read Floppy disk in SCO OpenServer 5.0

help me please i am beguinner in SCO operating system how i can read Floppy disk i install SCO OpenServer5.02 i want to /mnt but no result (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: walidfinder
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

read() wont allow me to read files larger than 2 gig (on a 64bit)

Hi the following c-code utilizing the 'read()' man 2 read method cant read in files larger that 2gig. Hi I've found a strange problem on ubuntu64bit, that limits the data you are allowed to allocate on a 64bit platform using the c function 'read()' The following program wont allow to allocate... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkeyking
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read log files from last read

Hi i am looking a way to look at a log file(log.txt) from the last time I've read it. However after some days the main log file(log.txt) is rename to (log.txt.1). So now i will have two log files as below. log.txt.1 log.txt Now, i have to read the log from the point where i have left... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitsks
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read files in shell script code and run a C program on those files

HI, I am trying to implement a simple shell script program that does not make use of ls or find commands as they are quite expensive on very large sets of files. So, I am trying to generate the file list myself. What I am trying to do is this: 1. Generate a file name using shell script, for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[REDHAT7] Adding LVM volume

Dear community, is it possible to add more volumes to actual LVM disk? I have the following: # lsblk NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sda 8:0 0 120G 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 0 500M 0 part /boot └─sda2 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
0 Replies
mtools(1)						      General Commands Manual							 mtools(1)

NAME
mtools - Provides a collection of tools for manipulating DOS files DESCRIPTION
The mtools commands are a public domain collection of programs that let you read, write, and manipulate files on a DOS file system (typi- cally a diskette) from a UNIX system. Each command attempts to emulate the DOS equivalent command as closely as possible. The following commands are available: Converts a DOS file to UNIX Changes DOS file attribute options Changes or reports the DOS working directory Copies DOS files to and from a UNIX operating system Deletes a DOS file Displays contents of a DOS directory Copies a diskette to another diskette as a bit-image copy Adds a DOS file system to a low-level formatted diskette Creates a shell script to restore UNIX file names from DOS Labels a DOS volume Makes a DOS directory Removes a DOS directory Performs a low level read (copy) of a DOS file to UNIX Renames an exist- ing DOS file Displays the contents of a DOS file Performs a low level write (copy) of a UNIX file to DOS Converts a UNIX file to DOS format DOS file names optionally are composed of a drive letter followed by a colon, a subdirectory, and a file name. Subdirectory names can use either the '/' or '' separator. The use of the '' separator or wildcards requires the names to be enclosed in quotes to protect them from the shell. The regular expression "pattern matching" routines follow the UNIX rules. For example, an asterisk (*) matches all DOS files in place of asterisks separated by a dot (.) such as *.*. The archive, hidden, read-only and system attribute bits are ignored during pattern match- ing. Not all UNIX file names are supported in the DOS world. The mtools commands may have to change UNIX names to fit the DOS file name conven- tions. Most commands provide the verbose option (-v), that displays new file names if they have been changed. The following table shows some examples of file name conversions: ----------------------------------------------- UNIX name DOS name Reason for the change ----------------------------------------------- thisisatest THISISAT file name too long file.stuff FILE.STU extension too long prn.txt XRN.TXT PRN is a device name .abc X.ABC null file name hot+cold HOTXCOLD illegal character ----------------------------------------------- All options use the minus (-) option, not the slash (/) as provided under DOS conventions. The mcd command is used to establish the device and the current working directory (relative to the DOS file system), otherwise the default is assumed to be A:. All the mtools commands return 0 on success and 1 on complete failure. All mtools require a floppy diskette properly installed on the system. All mtools facilities address a device named /dev/disk/floppy, therefore, a symbolic link between the floppy device and /dev/disk/floppy is also required. RESTRICTIONS
If the proper device is not specified (when multiple disks capacities are supported), an error message from the device driver may be dis- played. This message can be ignored. EXAMPLES
If the diskette is a SCSI attached floppy drive designated device rz13, the following example sets up a floppy diskette for access by the mtools commands: # cd /dev # ./MAKEDEV disk/dsk13 You can then link the device to /dev/disk/floppy as follows: # ln -s /dev/rdisk/dsk/13c /dev/disk/floppy The following example sets up a floppy diskette for access by the mtools commands if the floppy drive is FDI attached: # cd /dev # ./MAKEDEV fd0 You can then link the device to /dev/disk/floppy as follows: # ln -s /dev/rfd0c /dev/disk/floppy The following example also sets up a SCSI attached floppy diskette for access by the mtools commands: # /usr/sbin/mknod /dev/rdisk/dsk13c c 8 21506 You can then link the device to /dev/disk/floppy as follows: # ln -s /dev/rdisk/dsk13c /dev/disk/floppy Remember to use the appropriate SCSI name and minor number for your configuration. In this example, this is dev/rdisk/dsk13c. Caution This method is recommended for use only by experienced system administrators. SEE ALSO
Commands: dos2unix(1), ln(1), mattrib(1), mcd(1), mcopy(1), mdel(1), mdir(1), mdiskcopy(1), mformat(1), mlabel(1), mmd(1), mrd(1), mread(1), mren(1), mtype(1), mwrite(1), unix2dos(1) Floppy disk interface: fd(7) Utilities: MAKEDEV(8), mknod(8) mtools(1)