Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to debug a C program?
Top Forums Programming How to debug a C program? Post 83182 by whatisthis on Monday 12th of September 2005 10:00:12 AM
Old 09-12-2005
How to debug a C program?

Hi,
I need to fix a C program someone wrote 10 years ago and I have very limited knowledge on C.
Does someone know how to debug a C program? I am so used to VB debuger.
The C program is on Unix SunOs

Thanks for your help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to debug

i am new to solaris i have one module which contain certain header files and sub modules i want ot execute the module and c what the values are beeing assigned to variables is makefile only solution for this is there any editor to help it,so that i can c the flow of the program and also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramneek
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to debug to a file?

I'm trying to debug a script in korn shell At the begining of the script I've got #!/bin/ksh -vx However, this seems to only dump debugging info to the screen. How do I get that sent to a text file? I've tried various redirects but none of them seem to work. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ant1815
2 Replies

3. Programming

How to debug with wdb debugger a cobol program?

Hi Forum, i have such a question. I have a cobol program which is calling a C program and in that C program i get a core dump:(. I want to investigate what is the issue using WDB debuger, but a dont see the code from COBOL program in the debuger, when i run the debugger with the exe!!! ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vovan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

debug this script

echo "input time in hhmmss" read $st h=`echo $st | cut -c1-2` min=`echo $st | cut -c3-4` s=`echo $st | cut -c5-6` echo "input time in hhmmss" read $end h1=`echo $end | cut -c1-2` min1=`echo $end | cut -c3-4` s1=`echo $end | cut -c5-6` x= `expr $h /* 60 + $min` y= `expr $h1 /* 60 +... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishek27
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to open program and send/execute command in program

Hi, i want to write a script that executes a program (exec?) . this program then requires a filename as input. how do i give it this input in the script so the program will be complete run and close by the script. e.g. exec prog.exe program then asks for filename "enter filename:"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuathan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Debug mode

When I run a lengthy script in debug mode i need to capture all the steps which are executed. e.g ksh -x script.ksh + test -f /proc/mounts + /bin/ls -l /proc/21326/exe + is=ksh + test ksh = ksh + test -s /etc/ksh.kshrc + . /etc/ksh.kshrc + trap 1 2 3 + who am i + awk {print $1} +... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to debug .so file??

Hi All, I have a question on debugging the .so file. When I am running makefile I am getting a .so file and we are using that .so file for executing our code.But I want to know 1.Can I use dbx or gdb to debug a .so file? 2.How can i generate .out file so that i can use that in dbx or gdb... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s.sen1213
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Program to insert Delimiters at fixed locations in a file, Can you please Debug it for me??

Can someone please help?I have a file - fixed.txt----------------------------AABBBBCCCCCCDDDEEFFFFGGGGGGHHHIIJJJJKKKKKKLLL----------------------------To insert delimiters at fixed lengths of 2, 4, 6, 3, I created a file text1.txt as-------------------2463----------------------and trying to execute... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jd_mca
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If - then -else debug please

Can you help please ? ./get_df.sh: syntax error at line 13 : `then' unexpected #!/bin/ksh while : do PER=`df -h /DATA/ | nawk '{if (NR != 1) { sub (/%/,""); print $(NF-1)}}'` if then if] then mailx -s "FS over 90 per" me@company.com touch... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
2 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Debug help

Hello, I was looking at kernel log's and found some parts what was "interesting" I previously started looking what has been going on in my computer because I had hacker attacks on my machine. Installed Avira & Little Snitch - softwares Previously my computer opened few folders what I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Scourge-
1 Replies
ANNOTATE-OUTPUT(1)					      General Commands Manual						ANNOTATE-OUTPUT(1)

NAME
annotate-output - annotate program output with time and stream SYNOPSIS
annotate-output [options] program [args ...] DESCRIPTION
annotate-output will execute the specified program, while prepending every line with the current time and O for stdout and E for stderr. OPTIONS
+FORMAT Controls the timestamp format, as per date(1). Defaults to "%H:%M:%S". -h, --help Display a help message and exit successfully. EXAMPLE
$ annotate-output make 21:41:21 I: Started make 21:41:21 O: gcc -Wall program.c 21:43:18 E: program.c: Couldn't compile, and took me ages to find out 21:43:19 E: collect2: ld returned 1 exit status 21:43:19 E: make: *** [all] Error 1 21:43:19 I: Finished with exitcode 2 BUGS
Since stdout and stderr are processed in parallel, it can happen that some lines received on stdout will show up before later-printed stderr lines (and vice-versa). This is unfortunately very hard to fix with the current annotation strategy. A fix would involve switching to PTRACE'ing the process. Giving nice a (much) higher priority over the executed program could however cause this behaviour to show up less frequently. The program does not work as well when the output is not linewise. In particular, when an interactive program asks for input, the question might not be shown until after you have answered it. This will give the impression that the annotated program has hung, while it has not. SEE ALSO
date(1) SUPPORT
This program is community-supported (meaning: you'll need to fix it yourself). Patches are however appreciated, as is any feedback (posi- tive or negative). AUTHOR
annotate-output was written by Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> This manpage comes under the same copyright as annotate-output itself, read /usr/bin/annotate-output (or wherever you install it) for the details. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities ANNOTATE-OUTPUT(1)