Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UID problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UID problem Post 8317 by LivinFree on Wednesday 10th of October 2001 12:08:54 AM
Old 10-10-2001
Security! Yay!

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel...ity/index.html

I recommend the "Securing you Home Maching" section first. It won't cover you 100%, but it's a good start for new-comers to the Unix world. Check out the rest of the site as well, and when you get a little more comfortable with your newfound Unix skills, don't be afraid to check out www.linuxdoc.org.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

UID Change

Currently, I have about 7 servers and the uid for a given person is different on each server. I want to make the uid's the same for a given username on each server. I know how to change the uid via smit, but when I do the previous uid number shows up as the owner for the files of that username.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcateriny
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reversing UID's

Is it possible given a uid to determine information about the person with the uid? An example would be simple information regarding what group and the name of the person associated with that uid. It seems there is probably an easy staring me in the face but i cant seem to find it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreaming1
3 Replies

3. AIX

UID not to be reused

Hello I want to find out how I can make sure in AIX that the UIDs cannot be reused Until after 6 Months after the user has left. Thanks, Noori (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: noori
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking uid

How do i go about getting the uid of the user and verify ? if then echo "You are not a superuser, please login as a superuser" exit1; fi the above code doesn't work. can some guru please help me. 1. how to get the uid of the user ? i know by typing id but how to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filthymonk
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

uid script help

i need a script to process a password file and based on the UIDs in the password file, generate the new UID that is 1 greater than the highest uid. i have some script logic but i dont really understand it. any help? #!/usr/bin/perl ########################################## #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire06
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UId

is tty command opens a process in the system if yes then why process got the userid????? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mac91
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Duplicated UID

Hi folks! I need you help to discover what's the impact of a duplicated UID in an operating system. What's the meaning when someone put in different users the same UID? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phcostabh
3 Replies

8. AIX

More than 1 UID 0

Hi, Can any one please tell what are the risks of having more than one users having UID 0 (root)? Thanks Naveed (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveedaix
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Changing uid value

Hi, I want to change user id gefadm ,uid=0(root) gid=0(root) to uid=16649(isaadmin) gid=16284(dstage), how can i change this uid ,gid one value to another value. Please provide the steps how can i change , uid=0(root) gid=0(root) to uid=16649(isaadmin) gid=16284(dstage). Thanks in advance for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhardwh
2 Replies

10. Solaris

UID Admin

Hi All, I have to give permission to one of the groups called as "ABC" as like the permissions of the group "UNIXADM". Could you please some one help on this issue ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramareddi16
3 Replies
reboot(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 reboot(8)

NAME
reboot - Restarts the machine SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/reboot [-dlnq] DESCRIPTION
When the system is running and multiple users are logged in, use the shutdown -r command to perform a reboot operation. If no users are logged in, use the reboot command. The reboot command normally stops all running processes, syncs the disks, logs the reboot, and writes a shutdown entry in the login accounting file, /var/adm/wtmp. The reboot command uses the sync call to synchronize the disks, and to perform other shutdown activities such as resynchronizing the hard- ware time-of-day clock. After these activities, the system reboots. By default, the system starts and the file systems are automatically checked. If the start-up activities are successful, the system comes up in the default run-level. You must have root privileges to use this command. Using the -n flag can result in file system damage. FLAGS
Generates a crash dump of the system before halting it. Can be used with any of the other flags. Does not log the reboot using syslog Does not sync the disks or log the reboot using syslog Performs a quick reboot without first shutting down running processes; does not log the reboot using syslog EXAMPLES
To enable the default reboot action, enter: reboot This command causes the system to stop all running processes, sync the disks, log the shutdown, and perform other routine shutdown and reboot activities. To shut down the system without logging the reboot, enter: reboot -l This command shuts down the system and performs all shutdown and reboot activities, except logging the shutdown. To reboot the system abruptly, enter: reboot -q This command reboots the system abruptly without shutting down running processes. FILES
Specifies the command path Specifies the login accounting file Specifies the path of the syslog daemon RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: fsck(8), halt(8), init(8), savecore(8) shutdown(8), syslogd(8) Functions: reboot(2), sync(2), syslog(3) delim off reboot(8)